Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I mean, how else do you get a bunch of athiests pushing conservative viewpoints, especially in the United States?
    It is mainly because so many leftists adore Islam and modern feminists sound increasingly puritanical in their response to seeing skin and the female form. We're suppose to be getting past superstition and irrational taboo.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-11-27 at 11:29 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Galil ACE View Post
    How come that a group that wants to promote censorship and covering skin is considered left, isn't it the same goal as the orthodox right?
    Partially because identity politics has been involved with an association between the left, modern feminist, and Islam. If you don't like such an association, criticize identity politics.

Another reason the left gets more flak than the orthodox right over the same issue is because they have more influence. In the US, religious believers are dropping rapidly.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-11-27 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Yup good old hoovershoes and hoovervilles. There was one bright side though it resulted in a nigh on permanent democrat majority for the following 30 years. That in turn created the greatest bout of mass prosperity that the US has ever seen which itself in turn gave rise to the concept of the american dream.
    That's what I think I'm starting to see today. The US slowly crashing and burning yet again, big business growing too powerful yet again, government cooperating with said big business...the rich becoming richer while the poor become poorer, and the middle class shrinking away to join them..and people getting angry wondering when they'll get bailed out like the banks did. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see everything turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Here's the thing.

The reason that secondary education was made free to the user in the first place was because it had become the minimum expected level of education. The same now holds true for tertiary education; it is expected that at a minimum one has undergraduate qualifications.
    I get what you're saying here but the minimum required is a term open to interpretation. You can get jobs still with the "minimum required" just not good ones. That being said if college is the new minimum, it's not a stretch to assume that the expectations would go up and graduate school would be the next thing employers expect of workers (and in some fields already do).

Good. College is not intended to provide job ready skillsets.
    I disagree, I guess this will boil down to a matter of opinion but the extra time invested in school should be going to preparing you for a job. That is the purpose of college, well there are philosophy majors or women's study majors of course out there that have trouble finding work, but most people go to college with the intent of getting a better job. That being said, if this system ever was to take place, it would only make sense to cut these types of programs as they are rarely beneficial to people - they serve no purpose in terms of employment and in the end suck up money. I'm figuring other majors could suffer the same fate.

You're implying that this isn't already the case.
    No, it definitely is already the case, totally agree there, this is the trend though. Employers don't think highly of public education. And I'm all for reforms and making schools cost less, putting out regulations so you don't have to spend $500 on books each semester, but making college free IMO goes too far. Just my opinion of course.

Ideally educational reform would include an expansion of all forms of tertiary education including vocational training and apprenticeships. The major issue is that everyone is funneled into college at the moment.
    That is ideal because it won't happen. As it stands there are millions of high school drop outs, people for whatever reason that just aren't a good fit for higher learning. It could be because they aren't intelligent (harsh but true), they may have some wacky situation like having a kid, or maybe have to take care of a sick family member, or maybe they just aren't into what higher education offers because they are lazy. I think you and me at least agree that there should be changes and that the present system isn't working well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    It is mainly because so many leftists adore Islam and modern feminists sound increasingly puritanical in their response to seeing skin and the female form. We're suppose to be getting past superstition and irrational taboo.
    So it's like I said... people getting worked up over absolutely nothing so they can feel like the victims of brown people and women, therefore adopting conservative viewpoints.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    people getting worked up over absolutely nothing so they can feel like the victims of brown people and women, therefore adopting conservative viewpoints.
    The oppressor-oppressed narrative is more left-oriented, but I suppose if all sides want to use that narrative I don't see an issue. Conservatives in general like their culture and thus want change to come from technology and not from other cultures. There doesn't have to be a victim mentality involved.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-11-28 at 01:04 AM.