Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Class with easy rotation

Hi, everyone --

I'm looking to play with my son, who is 11 -- so I am looking for a class with an easy rotation. This means an easy optimal rotation or a class where you can not do the optimal rotation but a watered down version and still do 90ish% of the damage. He originally made a sentinel, but I think it's a bit overwhelming. Thanks!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose you mean DPS.

Marksmanship Sniper (or republic equivalent, range DPS)

you basically do
    - Ambush then followthrough
    - Series of shots then followthrough
    - Snipe x2 the Followthrough
    - Takedown then followthrough (under 30%)
    So basically 4-5 attacks, just try to maintain energy above 60% which should be easy if you crouch all the time, (i bind the crouch button on Q, and it's just a muscle reflex now to crouch everytime i attack)

Otherwise you have the Tactic Vanguard (or empire equivalent, melee class)

- Stokestrike
    - Cell Burst (only active with 4 stack of energy lode)
    - Assault Plastique
    - High impact bolt
    - Ion pulse

But the ammo management can be difficult, you have to use some basic attack in between
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2015-11-26 at 09:00 PM.

Combat is pretty easy for sentinel, but the other two specs are probably too much. Everything revolves around timing certain abilities (Blade Storm which is later replaced with Clashing Blast, and Blade Dance, but that only works under the effects of Zen) inside the precision window for combat, so that might be overwhelming at first. If he really want's to play a Jedi Knight the Vigilance spec for a guardian isn't all that difficult. All the vanguard specs are pretty straight forward imo. Telekenetics on a sage is fairly basic as well.

Thanks so far. I meant to include a request to include the rotation as well. I'm thinking AP PT/Tactics Vanguard or Lightning Sorc/Telekinetics Sage (if he must have a light saber). I've also heard Arsenal Merc/Gunnery Commando might not be bad, but I need to look to find a current guide on that one.

http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/4-0-class-guides/

These are relatively accurate guides. Some of them haven't been updated for 4.0 yet, but the 3.0 rotations didn't change for many classes (like TK sage). It's also just a decent site for information in general.

I would imagine the 90% number was just a random number he threw out. Given his age it's probably just important that he can do things like level, heroics, dailies, tacticals, and star fortresses. With that in mind he can pretty much do what you're suggesting and safely ignore most of the big important things. Missing a CB inside precision or hardcasting the occasional telekentic wave aren't going to stop him from doing any of those things.

I would just suggest staying away from specs like Focus/Balance that have 295823 abilities/buffs/debuffs to track or specs like Watchman that have absurdly long and involved rotations.

Competently--as I said a watered down version that doesn't too much less than optimal would be ideal. I think also would like to be ok in PVP, too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Your main ability to use after this is Blade Rush, it consumes your focus.

Whenever they proc (light up), use Clashing Blast and Dispatch (in that order, never Dispatch first). Then go back to Blade Rush until you can either Zealous Strike again or these abilities proc again.

If you are out of Focus and Zealous Strike is still on cooldown you can use Strike to build some Focus for another Blade Rush.

If you wish, you can use Blade Dance when it's off cooldown. If you can manage it use Precision first then Blade Dance. But I would mostly just use these on very tough mobs that will take some time to defeat. You can manage without using these if it adds too much complexity But it's something to do while waiting for other abilities to come off cooldown
    One minor alteration I would suggest. Just use Blade dance on cooldown and don't bother trying to time it with Precision. However, you should try to use Precision before every Clashing Blast. They line up together pretty well and will ultimately give you much better damage (and those huge CB crits during Precision are just fun even if you don't care about your overall performance.)

If you have trouble remembering I just put my abilities on my bars in a certain order. 3 is Blade Rush - which procs Clashing blast, 4 is Precision, and 5 is Clashing Blast. It's pretty easy to get Dispatch in the Precision window with CB as well.
    Last edited by Treeba; 2015-11-27 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks to you both -- I will have him try that on sentinel. He also made an AP Powertech. Can give one for that as well?

Gunnery/Arsenal for commando/merc is dead easy; use demolition/priming round, spam grav round, and use your boltstorm procs as they come up. You don't even have to pay attention to resources, much.

advanced prototype/tactics for powertech/vanguard is pretty easy too, with a similar 'two short cooldowns + filler and proc' style. You have to watch your resources but that isn't very difficult.

I am told lightning sorc is also pretty easy, but I haven't really played it.

Quote Originally Posted by warlockiii View Post
    Thanks to you both -- I will have him try that on sentinel. He also made an AP Powertech. Can give one for that as well?
    It's been awhile, but I think all the abilities for that spec have cooldowns except Flame Burst (which turns into Magnetic Blast) and Retractable Blade (which he should only bother using on elites/champions/strong mobs). He can basically just keep using abilities roughly on cooldown and be fine. The only decision he will ever need to make is between MB and Rapid Shots (to save heat). He can't just spam MB endlessly. You can tell him to save his Energy Burst until he has 4 stacks (it will light up when he does), or he can just use it on cooldown. It's far from optimal, but won't matter much in the content he's going to be doing.

Just make sure he's using the High Energy Gas cylinder. The most common/biggest "noob" mistake most bounty hunters make is running around in the wrong cylinder.
    Last edited by Treeba; 2015-11-28 at 04:19 AM.

Deleted
    The game is pegi 16, just as a reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    The game is pegi 16, just as a reminder.
    I appreciate the concern, but it's T here in the U.S. He liked Harry Potter and Hunger Games. And he plays light side.

Deleted
    For starters - don't play melee if you are a beginner player in SWTOR. This game is extremely melee unfriendly, much more than WoW even, and that's saying something.

Out of the ranged classes, gunnery commando, telekinetics sage, and MM sniper are extremely easy to learn and master. So I would go for one of those.

Umm, if your son is 11 why not just get him to play something he finds fun rather that get him to play are class that is "optimal". He is 11, who cares if he isn't topping the non-existent dps meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocek View Post
    Umm, if your son is 11 why not just get him to play something he finds fun rather that get him to play are class that is "optimal". He is 11, who cares if he isn't topping the non-existent dps meters.
    I never said anything about topping meters--I said easy rotation and that non-optimal was fine if it didn't completely blow it's output to crap. Terrible DPS can make heroic quests and flashpoints take a lot longer.

And he already likes Wow, the Star Wars, and gaming with his dad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warlockiii View Post
    I never said anything about topping meters--I said easy rotation and that non-optimal was fine if it didn't completely blow it's output to crap. Terrible DPS can make heroic quests and flashpoints take a lot longer.

And he already likes Wow, the Star Wars, and gaming with his dad.

I would suggest the Commando/Mercenary and the Gunnery/Arsenal (middle) tree. Its a pretty easy rotation and he should be able to PvE just fine without any problems.

If he is more interested in swinging a Lightsaber than shooting a Blaster, then he might like the Assassin/Shadow tank spec. I found it to be relatively simple to play and extremely durable (any mistakes you make are easily forgiven). He could even make a Zabrak and pretend to be Darth Maul. =)
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

I would suggest the Commando/Mercenary and the Gunnery/Arsenal (middle) tree. Its a pretty easy rotation and he should be able to PvE just fine without any problems.
    I agree with this. Leveling as a Mercenary DPS was one of the easiest things I've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/4-0-class-guides/

These are relatively accurate guides. Some of them haven't been updated for 4.0 yet, but the 3.0 rotations didn't change for many classes (like TK sage). It's also just a decent site for information in general.
    Just wondering, does anyone have a PVE guide for Vengeance Juggernaut ? We were starting the game a week ago, and I chose Juggernaut because this way I can tank if our tank is not online.
    But I am completely overwhelmed by three actionbars full of skills I have no idea what to use, but somehow I cannot find a guide for 3.0 or 4.0 for this spec. Is it so bad that no one is playing it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Just wondering, does anyone have a PVE guide for Vengeance Juggernaut ? We were starting the game a week ago, and I chose Juggernaut because this way I can tank if our tank is not online.
    But I am completely overwhelmed by three actionbars full of skills I have no idea what to use, but somehow I cannot find a guide for 3.0 or 4.0 for this spec. Is it so bad that no one is playing it?
    I'm "maining" a Guardian, and from everything I've played the Vengeance (Vigilance for Guardian) is pretty awesome. I did notice you mentioned that you started the game a week ago, so one of the things I should mention is that the Jedi Knight/Sith Juggernaut classes (and their advanced classes) don't really come together until late level. Other classes, specifically the Sniper/Gunslinger, get all their juicy toys early. So if you are low or mid-level and are struggling then don't fret...that's how it is.

I will note that leveling as the tank spec is actually very viable and easy. I'm leveling another Guardian right now and have gotten to 31 so far as tank spec with no problems whatsoever. One big bonus is that the tank spec gets their 2 main attack upgrades early on, while the other 2 specs rely on abilities and talents that don't come until the late 40's.

If you're high or max level though, Vengeance should be rocking your socks. Basically you Leap and/or Enrage, Impale, Shatter, and Force Scream. If they're not dead then Ravage or if there is a group then Vengeful Slam before the target dies so you can spread your DoT's. If you want to get fancy then alternate opening with Impale, Ravage, Shatter (reset CD on Ravage), Ravage, Force Scream. Repeat as necessary. I've found you really don't need to use Vicious Slash except maybe once a blue moon, so you can move that to the side as well as Retaliation. Use your Sundering Assault, Enrage, and Saber Throw to build Rage. You probably won't need Assault on your bar, but I keep mine just in case (I think I use it during long fights, but I'm not 100% sure of that).
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch