Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    So yeah after playing for a month now, sticking to one or two heroes is a good way to lose a lot of games. There's this one girl that likes to play Mercy every game no matter what. Soon as her name pops up in game, i roll winston and bury her everytime she shows up. she never changes for any reason and just gets killed within 5 seconds of showing up to the fight everytime i play against her.

its not hard to remember who likes to stick with one hero and beat them every match.

Honestly saying you don't want to swap heroes in OW is like saying you don't want to leave your lane in HoTS. That's the game's main thing. Maybe consider a different game.

Though I understand not swapping in OW isn't nearly that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I mean it is possible to play an entire game without switching toons, if things are going well for you then have at it. If not and you refuse to adapt then your loss is on you. Even though there are hero counters skill still has a saying as to wether they counter you or not. A Reaper who teleports up into a widow maker sniper roost should face explode widow maker but if widow maker is better skilled she can auto-rifle down Reaper while strafing around the roost to reduce being shotgunned down. A Reaper can teleport behind a turret but will be blown away unless he is smart enough to teleport behind it after it has fixated on Reinhardt's shield because the turret isn't smart enough to assess it's threats. A better Reaper will look to kill Tolbj before finishing off the turret if he is hammering the turret.

It isn't >Rock>Paper>Scissors>, it is (>R>P>S>) >skill. I've seen characters go on 13 player kill streaks regardless if the target is weak or strong to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Honestly saying you don't want to swap heroes in OW is like saying you don't want to leave your lane in HoTS. That's the game's main thing. Maybe consider a different game.

Though I understand not swapping in OW isn't nearly that bad.
    It's actually worse... It's really rock/paper/scissors out there, not switching means 100% lost game, UNLESS you ridiculously outskill the opposing team - which then again begs the question why are you even in a game with people that have 10% of your abilities?

Smart teams will switch almost every spawn to keep you on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's not nearly as bad as (some) people are making it sound. There aren't any super-duper hard counters to heroes, so it's not like you're forced to swap just for the sake of swapping constantly.

Yes, you COULD choose to swap every respawn just as an attempt to mindgame your opponents, but I don't see that being something that gets employed a lot.

As for the professional level of play, I feel like team synergy is going to be a much more important factor than is evident in pug games, and just swapping constantly for the sake of it, or to try to be clever, is just going to do more harm than good.
    That's a losing strat. If you try and pull the same combo all match, you will be countered and you will lose. You create new synergy as the match goes with whoever your team is playing. An evolving team is the best team.

And it's more like substitutions in a basketball game, every player doesn't get replaced every time. If we need a different tank, he'll swap. if tracer isn't doing too well, we'll swap her and counter their pharah that seems pretty good. It all just depends on whats working and what isn't.
    Last edited by Claborn; 2015-12-02 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
    That's a losing strat. If you try and pull the same combo all match, you will be countered and you will lose. You create new synergy as the match goes with whoever your team is playing. An evolving team is the best team.

And it's more like substitutions in a basketball game, every player doesn't get replaced every time. If we need a different tank, he'll swap. if tracer isn't doing too well, we'll swap her and counter their pharah that seems pretty good. It all just depends on whats working and what isn't.
    Yeah but when people say the game is about changing heroes and using words like 'constantly' changing they are making people who have done zero research believe that it's practically a never ending slot machine of character changes. One problem is that people are making judgements based on ignorance because going to twitch->overwatch requires too much effort to see what game play is actually like, and the other is experienced players using terms like 'constantly' when they should be using terms like 'occaisionally'. On average I switch toons 2-5 times over the length of a 15-20 min match.

In watchpoint: Gibralter I typically start out as Soldier 76 because he has a sprint to get back to the fight faster to keep my opponents off the payload control point and I stay way back while tearing up my opponent life meters. The spawn point is too far back for slower moving toons, time spent running back is time your opponent moves forward. But once the control point is captured I switch to Reaper and use teleport to get behind my opponents. After that if Reaper is working for me I stick with it until it doesn't work, which isn't often. Most opponents expect a turret/sniper/junkrat defence, not dps showing up behind them and tearing them up. However, if there is a particularly effective combo I will switch off to another toon or 2 until I find one that solves the problem or we lose. You could easily run around for 5-10 mins playing the toon you are on in a 20 min match before switching.

Let them stay ignorant then. Me and the people i play with know how to win and thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    I signed up, strange that i didn't get invited. I will to un sign and then sign in once again maybe it will help.

- - - Updated - - -

I never was competitive player, even in my childhood, when it comes to multiplayer games.
    Relax Seweryn, they didn't invite NEARLY "almost everyone". It was a fraction of the folks who signed up and it's normal to not be invited. Sooner or later you will, hopefully!

Yo,
    If i buy game, but more importantly if i waste my time on it, i want to play what i want and not what i need to.
    So I am wondering if you can just can stick and play a class that you like or do you have to change it every 5 minutes to heroes that your time need at the moment.
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers,
    Sew
    people say you dont need to swap, but yeah if you dont have a tank or healer, its pretty much GG... If equal skill teams meet.
    So far i've been "forced" to play tank or healer for 70-80% of games, id say if it was 100% competetive you would be forced to change champions midgame multiple times probably.

In addition some DPS counters others pretty well... + some of the heroes is just plain unrewarding *cough cough* bastion....

All in all i ended up dislikeing overwatch. (got beta inv)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    So you play in an organized group against pugs in beta?

Well yes, I suppose that IS how you win. It doesn't mean a lot when talking about how the game works, though.
    assume whatever you want buddy

10+ Year Old Account
    No you don't have to do anything but I and others on your team would like it if you played with us so we could win. You won't get very far just doing what you want when everyone else counters you

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll flame the entire opponents team if they start stacking tanks with 4 or more. No limit to the same char is idiotic at best.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yo,
    If i buy game, but more importantly if i waste my time on it, i want to play what i want and not what i need to.
    So I am wondering if you can just can stick and play a class that you like or do you have to change it every 5 minutes to heroes that your time need at the moment.
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers,
    Sew
    You are never required to do anything you don't want to do, but if you want to win as much as possible you should try to counter the other team. That might mean that you should switch hero several times over the course of the match, but sometimes you might also be able to stick to your favorite hero all game long.

So here are my 2 cents as someone whos part of a competitive team and who enjoys playing the game causally when my team isnt around. You are not REQUIRED to switch heroes but it is often HIGHLY SUGGESTED that you do. Widowmaker and Hanzo are the bane of my existence on offense because, more often than not, they suck. The person playing them has a hard time getting into position because you're on attack. Those players seem to rarely switch to anything else and often cause the team to lose. You need to remember that this is not a deathmatch. Your 38 kill streak means nothing if your team loses. You need to be pushing the objective / payload and adapting to the other team. That is how you win.

Now, I have 0 issues telling someone they are sucking hard at a character and to switch. I'm not trying to be mean and chances are it is not their skill that is being challenged, its the hero they chose. The other team likely has a few hard counters to what they are playing. I've had games were I had to swap offensive heroes multiple times to counter the other team because nothing i was using was working. You lose nothing by adapting but can lose everything by being stubborn.

Conceptually I'd like to stick with one chosen hero for the entire round, but sometimes battle environment and heroes just aren't a good match. In these situations it's great that we can adapt by choosing a different hero with different abilities. It's how I work in Battlefield 4, pick a class best suited for the map and objectives and change it according to situation.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever played TF2? It's pretty much the same gameplay style. You can change heroes or keep the one you have. Your choice.

I usually change based on what we need at the time.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama