15+ Year Old Account

Question Need Help Buying A Video Card

I'm buying my boyfriend a video card for Christmas and need help buying a relatively inexpensive one from Newegg's Black Friday sale going on (http://www.newegg.com/Black-Friday-S...pg&icid=339396).

Can you guys help me out on finding a decent upgrade for him based on what info I could get from using DX Diag on his computer without raising suspicions?

He runs:

AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz (my guess is that's his processor)
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    AMD Raedon HD 6550D
    DDR3 RAM
    Screen Resolution 1280 x 1024 (32 bit)(75 Hz)
    WOW resolution 1280 x 1024

Again looking for an inexpensive graphics card upgrade and would prefer one of the ones on sale for Black Friday. I suck at computers and parts which is why I'm turning to you good people here for help. You guys have helped me in the past with other things and hopefully can help this time. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I'm buying my boyfriend a video card for Christmas and need help buying a relatively inexpensive one from Newegg's Black Friday sale going on (http://www.newegg.com/Black-Friday-S...pg&icid=339396).

Can you guys help me out on finding a decent upgrade for him based on what info I could get from using DX Diag on his computer without raising suspicions?

He runs:

AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz (my guess is that's his processor)
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    AMD Raedon HD 6550D
    DDR3 RAM
    Screen Resolution 1280 x 1024 (32 bit)(75 Hz)
    WOW resolution 1280 x 1024

Again looking for an inexpensive graphics card upgrade and would prefer one of the ones on sale for Black Friday. I suck at computers and parts which is why I'm turning to you good people here for help. You guys have helped me in the past with other things and hopefully can help this time. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
    Need more information, what brand and model is the computer, wattage of power supply. The case size, power supply wattage and type of motherboard are all factors in which a video card would be compatible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Am I able to get those things from DX Diag?

On the System tab of Dxdiag it should show the System Manufacturer, System Model, etc.

Looking at the display adapter you listed though I would have to say almost anything from the Newegg Black Friday sale would be a "decent" upgrade.
    Signature not found

15+ Year Old Account
    Computer brand & model: ASIS A55MDS

The rest I don't know

Gtx 960 for ~$150 (16 tiers above your current gpu) 120watts
    https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-v...rd-02gp42966kr

Gtx 750 ti for ~$130 (13 tiers above your current gpu) only 60 watts
    https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-v...rd-02gp43757kr

Usually people estimate that you should wait 3 tiers before an upgrade. Both these cards are Nvidia Maxwell, low wattage, and overclock really well for like +20% gain if/when you may want to learn to do that. The 960 is pretty much the most optimal price/performance gpu for WoW. Anything else is overkill anyway. My stepson played with an EVGA 750 ti FTW and could play ultra settings easily even in raids/dungeons. It's also the first Maxwell Nvidia card and a fantastic little card but for ~$20 more the 960 will give a significant boost in speed but at double the watts of a power supply required. I'm really not sure how to tell you to assess his PSU other than trying to just unscrew one of his side panels and look at the PSU yourself (the square box usually on the bottom of the case with all the cords running out to supply power to all the components). Most PSUs will be marked clearly as the the wattage, 500or 550w being the typical amount. You could just opt for the Gtx 750 ti as it's only a 60watt gpu. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Pharstar; 2015-11-28 at 09:05 AM.