Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer wont boot from Windows 10 usb

So, as I posted earlier on this website, my hard drive died and I replaced it. But now I'm stumbling across a new issue. I can't install windows 10 from it's little usb dongle. why couldn't they just use a disk -.-, but anyway. I tried messing around with the bios and still no dice. It reads the harddrive and my usb keyboard but it refused to boot from the windows 10 usb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majjintorn View Post
    So, as I posted earlier on this website, my hard drive died and I replaced it. But now I'm stumbling across a new issue. I can't install windows 10 from it's little usb dongle. why couldn't they just use a disk -.-, but anyway. I tried messing around with the bios and still no dice. It reads the harddrive and my usb keyboard but it refused to boot from the windows 10 usb
    So you went into bios and set boot priority to your USB drive? What is your Motherboard model?

10+ Year Old Account
    if im understanding your problem correctly, and as the poster above me said.. you need to change the boot priority in the bios so that your USB with win10 on it is the first on the list - or at least first before any other drives or disk drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

My Mobo, is a Asus p8Z77-VLE and unfortunaly I don't see it as a boot option these are the two I see

SanDisk SDSSDA120G
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH23NS95
    Also thank you for the quick reply

10+ Year Old Account
    those are the 2 drives that need to be bumped down on the prio list. should see USB ports move those all ahead of the SSD and Disk drive. im assuming you have the USB stick in one of the main ports and not like an extra port on your key board or something?
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

when I go to boot priority that's all I see, I'm attempting to move the dongle to different ports on my tower but still nothing/

10+ Year Old Account
    when I go to boot priority that's all I see, I'm attempting to move the dongle to different ports on my tower but still nothing/
    Have you put the USB into another PC and it works? Also see if another PC will pull it up in bios.

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like the dongle isnt being recognized as a bootable option. you would most likely need to create a bootable usb drive.

alright I'll try it on the laptop i'm posting on, and my intial attempts to instal windows was to use a USB but the download kept screwing up so I bought win10, so I do have a large enough drive

10+ Year Old Account
    alright I'll try it on the laptop i'm posting on, and my intial attempts to instal windows was to use a USB but the download kept screwing up so I bought win10, so I do have a large enough drive
    Ya you just wanna make sure its working. See if bios can read it on your laptop, don't actually try to install it. Just make sure it appears.

10+ Year Old Account
    for win8 and win10 they have a media creation program to help with your issue.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5215265_make...ash-drive.html

link to the media creation program can be found under references.

the dongle is working fine, my laptop found it with no issues. so it's just my desktop continuing to throw a tantrum -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    ok the only other thing i cant think of is you have an incompatibility issue between your BIOS version and the exact specific dongle you have (as far as bootable drives go), switching to another brand dongle may be the next possible solution.

im sure your pc would see it as a typical memstick kind of deal.. its just not recognizing it as a boot device.

Maybe? I mean, I literally just bought the thing. are there different versions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I assume you got Windows 10 from like best buy or some such? Retail? I've actually not got to played with their retail USBs at all. The OEM still comes on DVD.

You can go into your bios, advanced mode then boot mode. Play with the UEFI/Legacy boot options, save and go back into bios. If nothing changed, reset it and play with other settings if you so desire. They won't hurt anything in the boot menu, just change them back if nothing is resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    ok the only other thing i cant think of is you have an incompatibility issue between your BIOS version and the exact specific dongle you have (as far as bootable drives go), switching to another brand dongle may be the next possible solution.

im sure your pc would see it as a typical memstick kind of deal.. its just not recognizing it as a boot device.
    The BIOS would still pick up the bootable media, the media just wouldn't install if it wasn't compatible. I had to update bios on a families machine because windows 10 wasn't compatible with some H81 boards without the update.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Ok I assume you got Windows 10 from like best buy or some such? Retail? I've actually not got to played with their retail USBs at all. The OEM still comes on DVD.
    from what ive seen win10 no longer comes with a physical DVD. its nothing more than a retail code and a website you go to in order to download your copy to your own created media. at least thats the plan from Windows, since they no longer intend on releasing new versions of windows, they will simply update the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    The BIOS would still pick up the bootable media, the media just wouldn't install if it wasn't compatible. I had to update bios on a families machine because windows 10 wasn't compatible with some H81 boards without the update.
    what im describing is a hardware device incompatibility not software. the bios wont pick up something as a bootable device if it isnt compatible. thus not showing up in the bios in the first place.

im not saying it is the OP's issue, merely that was the possibility that i was trying to interpret and describe.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2015-11-27 at 07:44 AM.

There should be a USB option whether you have your dongle sticked in or not.

See if this helps: http://superuser.com/questions/46455...lx-motherboard
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    from what ive seen win10 no longer comes with a physical DVD. its nothing more than a retail code and a website you go to in order to download your copy to your own created media. at least thats the plan from Windows, since they no longer intend on releasing new versions of windows, they will simply update the current one.
    Windows 10 OEM comes on DVD, I know for a fact, as I'm staring at it right now.

well I bought the usb version, the good news Is I finally got it to recognize it, but the bad news is the installation asked me to restart my computer and unplug the media, then turn it on as normal, and plug the media back in. And now I'm back at square one...again. Edit: by that I mean it flashes the mobo logo then asks for boot media even with the dongle in
    Last edited by Majjintorn; 2015-11-27 at 08:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well I bought the usb version, the good news Is I finally got it to recognize it, but the bad news is the installation asked me to restart my computer and unplug the media, then turn it on as normal, and plug the media back in. And now I'm back at square one...again. Edit: by that I mean it flashes the mobo logo then asks for boot media even with the dongle in
    I'm not familiar with the Windows 10 retail install process but you shouldn't need to remove the media during installation. Did it install at all? trying changing the boot to the HDD/SSD.