Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    There is a pair of numbers, which are regularly brought up, whenever a discussion similar to this one surfaces here in Denmark.

The first number is 427,398. That is how many adults, who in 2013 applied for unemployment benefits in this country for any length of time. The total population of the country, regardless of age, is roughly 5.6 million.

The second number is 82. Eightytwo. That is how many among those 427,398 adults, who *declined* a job offered to them. Any job offer, regardless of what, where, when and how much.

Different people have different priorities, I'm sure some of the people whom you mention in your examples, pity you for putting so much focus (I assume you are) on your proffessional life.

1 of the things that often pop up when you view top5/top 10 of regrets of the dying is

I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.

“This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    And just how do you think the unemployed people can PAY to get better training or better wardrobes and the such?
    Always curious about this one. If you are unemployed how do you afford to buy a suit for the interview or even get the bus across town? You haven't got any money. If you do then you are probably cutting into essential expenses, I mean things basic things like food, for a job you probably won't get. Not sure how people actually manage to do this at all.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2015-11-29 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    So here in the Netherlands (and in many other countries) there is a large group of unemployed people.
    These people are unemplyed for many different reasons but there seems to be one factor that most of them share: they aren't very employable!

So, what do I mean with not being employable? Let me give some examples:
    - You got a pretty useless degree (art degrees are a good example)
    - You never updated your skills after getting a degree (doing the same thing for 20+ years and never growing beyond that)
    - You are unwilling to learn NEW skills and are not going to look outside of your current/past workfield.
    - Your looks are not acceptable in a workplace (visible tattoos, piercings, obscure haircuts etc)
    - You are a grown man/women walking around in a flaming skull T-shirt (some even wear these on job interviews - im not even kidding here!)
    - etc. etc.

Grown, mature people seem to act like children sometimes... Making themselves more dependent on random factors than they should.
    Many people are basically just waiting for something to happen or someone else to offer them something.

But why though.. Why aren't people making themselves better employable?
    Lmao another self help thread by Deruyter. Keep fighting the good fight!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Lmao another self help thread by Deruyter. Keep fighting the good fight!
    Its not really self help tho, not even remotely. It effectively means people do even more, invest even more, spend even more time and all that, to get paid even less and get back even less from their employers. It's basically a "Hey if you jump through these hoops for my amusement then I let you clean my toilet and go to work for me, also I'll buy you a coke and give you 5€ for 10 hours of work!" situation in which they constantly ramp up their demands while simultaneously lowering what they offer.

At some point, unless people have no other choice or are absolutely desperate (and even then) they simply refuse to play a game that is rigged from the get go. So it's more of a promotional thread, do as I say and maybe, just maybe you will be allowed to slave away for a few years before I replace you with someone who works for a few cent less an hour!

OP> How do you fit my own story in your uniformly narrow-minded thread?

I got an excellent diploma, I have been working for 6 years right after school, earning big money in IT consulting. Much more than I cared to spend. And then I realized all that did not matter. How would more money bring anything to my life when I already didn't spend that which I already have?

I ditched it all. Left my job, sold my furniture and moved. Now I go from place to place with my wife, rent a flat in a different country every few months. Learn new languages. Sometimes get paid for stuff I enjoy doing. Rest of the time contribute to free software projects I like and learn photography.
    Probably I'm worthless to your vision of society, spending less than $3000 a year, not contributing to economy (I do paid work for maybe 150 hours per year to sustain this).

Yet… I return the question: “why aren't jobs making themselves better workable”?
    I still get contacted by random IT companies with job offers. So far, none had anything worth changing my lifestyle.

How about you keep your job and salary and hierarchy and useless meetings, reports and office hours?
    How about I call you lazy for blending in, for giving in to easy thinking instead of inventing your own life?
    How about you start actually doing something valuable of your life instead of meaningless money?
    Last edited by Etheric; 2015-11-29 at 12:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Different people have different priorities, I'm sure some of the people whom you mention in your examples, pity you for putting so much focus (I assume you are) on your proffessional life.
    Pretty much. Like I said, I'd rather get by with (a bit) less money but while doing something I enjoy (and I would not enjoy office or very competitive jobs etc.) than by dedicating most of my life to work and earn a bit more.
    Sure, you need to do something. But it should not be the number 1 priority in life; at least in my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post

Secondly, the gains aren't worth it as much anymore as many years ago. The top keeps skimming all the extra profits and income for themselves, instead of providing attractive promotion and job packages. Getting a promotion back in the day of our parents sometimes meant earning up to 50 to 75% more salary, nowadays if you're lucky it's 5 to 10%.
    This pretty much. Work does not seem to be a good deal. Workers always got paid less than their labour value but there was some benefit in the security and regularity of income. Even that has gone with zero hours contracts, "incentivization", performance-related pay, and just generally higher churn among corporations and the job market..

I find it difficult to believe that all the time and money spent training for some profession couldn't be better put to use on a personal project.

Quote Originally Posted by Etheric View Post
    OP> How do you fit my own story in your uniformly narrow-minded thread?

I got an excellent diploma, I have been working for 6 years right after school, earning big money in IT consulting. Much more than I cared to spend. And then I realized all that did not matter. How would more money bring anything to my life when I already didn't spend that which I already have?

I ditched it all. Left my job, sold my furniture and moved. Now I go from place to place with my wife, rent a flat in a different country every few months. Learn new languages. Sometimes get paid for stuff I enjoy doing. Rest of the time contribute to free software projects I like and learn photography.
    Probably I'm worthless to your vision of society, spending less than $3000 a year, not contributing to economy (I do paid work for maybe 150 hours per year to sustain this).

Yet… I return the question: “why aren't jobs making themselves better workable”?
    I still get contacted by random IT companies with job offers. So far, none had anything worth changing my lifestyle.

How about you keep your job and salary and hierarchy and useless meetings, reports and office hours?
    How about I call you lazy for blending in, for giving in to easy thinking instead of inventing your own life?
    How about you start actually doing something valuable of your life instead of meaningless money?
    Bruh, you financed your non-spending lifestyle with 6 years of high earnings. That, or your wife pays for all your shit with earnings she's made elsewhere.

It's kinda hard not to have a flaming skull t-shirt when 90% of all shirts printed are that.
    And the only place u can get a non printed shirt is kohls for the low low price of $49.99 per shirt.

Also i have an example for one of my past coworkers, he has 3 children he has to pay child support for, for a 80 hour paycheck making like $9 a hour he only actually took home around $100, how can someone afford to pay car insurance, rent and other expenses the government dosent help with?

Wages are so low it is worth more to just go on welfare if u can, also the little fact you do almost nothing for money that way.

A month ago my father started getting disability for his back (he has like 5 completely deteriorated discs) and he is getting like idk $400 a month plus another ~$100 in foodstamps plus free healthcare.
    Now if you compare that to someone making minimum wage? They would have to work like 80 hours for ~$460 after they get taxed like 20% for standard income tax.
    Counting social security, federal and state taxes and that fourth tax i cant name right now.
    Last edited by Daethz; 2015-11-29 at 04:21 PM.

So here in the Netherlands (and in many other countries) there is a large group of unemployed people.
    These people are unemplyed for many different reasons but there seems to be one factor that most of them share: they aren't very employable!

So, what do I mean with not being employable? Let me give some examples:
    - You got a pretty useless degree (art degrees are a good example)
    - You never updated your skills after getting a degree (doing the same thing for 20+ years and never growing beyond that)
    - You are unwilling to learn NEW skills and are not going to look outside of your current/past workfield.
    - Your looks are not acceptable in a workplace (visible tattoos, piercings, obscure haircuts etc)
    - You are a grown man/women walking around in a flaming skull T-shirt (some even wear these on job interviews - im not even kidding here!)
    - etc. etc.

Grown, mature people seem to act like children sometimes... Making themselves more dependent on random factors than they should.
    Many people are basically just waiting for something to happen or someone else to offer them something.

But why though.. Why aren't people making themselves better employable?
    I've a master in computer engineering (is that useless too ?), several years of experience in programming (last job ended two monthes ago), I am totally willing to both move to nearly everywhere in the country and learn new skills (especially the ones in high demand), I've a very conservative look (I'm quite a bit of a conformist in the appearance department), I've updated my skills recently (I got my last job through such an upgrade).

Yet despite all this, finding a new job after the last one has been a bitch, because employers are NOT interested in all that, they are interested in someone who ALREADY got the specific skills they want and several years of experience in them (not one who want to learn them and has experience in a somehow similar background).
    How exactly am I "unemployable" and "not willing to become more employable" ?

Your reasonings are just the typical retarded caricature of guys who think that someone jobless is someone who doesn't want to find a job. I'd tell you what I think of the kind of people you are, but it would get me an infraction.
    Last edited by Akka; 2015-11-29 at 04:28 PM.

What I want to know from the people that take low paying jobs because it is "what they want to do" is, what is your plan for when you are 70 and have no pension and have to keep working? How is that a good thing? I used to work at a job I really enjoyed, the hours were provided for a nice life/work balance. But when I asked the 65-70 year old why they still worked there and they said, "I cant afford to not work" I reevaluated my priorities in life and got a job that is not as nice but wont see me working past 60.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do people say they should be able to have piercings and tattoos and wear what they want in the corporate world, but no one seems to think there is anything wrong with uniforms at McDonald? Business attire is just a uniform.

I have a really big urge to get me a flaming skull t-shirt now. at work though i have work attire, because grease, oil and shit. encouraged to wear unless you dont care about your normal clothes. :P
    Uncle Dolan maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Bruh, you financed your non-spending lifestyle with 6 years of high earnings. That, or your wife pays for all your shit with earnings she's made elsewhere.
    Expenses $3000 per year (per person). That's 150 hours at about $20 hourly rate for me. My wife's activity pays a bit less, she's at about 250 hours a year. Savings from my former life remain mostly untouched and should stay so until I'm old or grow tired of this life.

Anyway the point was not that everyone should do the same. My point was life is not about money. Money is but a promise. It has no value until put to a meaningful use. Thus the message to OP: having value without money works just the same. Having the money and not understanding value, as hist post shows, is just sad.

Deleted
    Basically, there is no point. What's the point? But the intra-species predators who rule society won't understand.

They have no real sympathy for us. I wish they did.

Thats an oxymoron. They aren't mature if they are childish. As our lives become more and more comfortable people abandon self-cultivation for hedonism and pointless pursuits, this is normal and not necessarily bad, but one should never forget to cultivate the self and constantly improve oneself.

There is also a difference between being child-like (demeanour/joy) and childish (behaviour/reliability)