10+ Year Old Account

Thanksgiving vs the Columbus Day debate.

Ok this thanksgiving got me thinking about what we as Americans are celebrating once again.

For lack of a smart detail I'll just go by what I learned through public school.

Elementary- Indians helped pilgrims settle in America. This is what is thought in elementary.

Middle school- pilgrims and Indians had a very uneasy truce and even bad some fights but it melted away when winter hit and once again Indians showed some living skills.

High school- pilgrims pretty much red wedding the Indians in that area.

Now that's thanksgiving which gets most Americans a week off from school and a few days off work plus as of almost a decade ago, stores the chance to dump all the crap before the next years worth of gadgets come in.

Now on the other hand we have Columbus Day. A once decent holiday that once again celebrated the beginning (by elementary teaching) of a countries eventually rise to what it is. Of course in college you eventually learn Columbus might have been a monster but hey that's a decade between teachings. But this holiday is now the red headed step child. Half the country us ashamed to even give the day off.

And have to ask ....why? Both these holidays are pretty much the same but yet we celebrate one still while we shun the others because....PC? And mistreatment? Isn't thanksgiving the exact fucking samething?

Now I'm not asking for the cancellation of thanksgiving, I love this month besides it's the month that contains my birthday, but I just feel it's a bit hypocritical is all. Plus I don't want to wake up 8 years from now and find out ppl are cancelling thanksgiving cause #nativelivesmatter or some crap like that.

Also on a separate note. Anyone notice every February there is a black historical movie made? Just started to realize this.

10+ Year Old Account
    *What we're celebrating*
    A traditional national holiday
    That's a bout it. We're not looking back on our history or our past, we're just sitting down with family and gorging our faces with food because it's what we've done with our families for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspire View Post
    Ok this thanksgiving got me thinking about what we as Americans are celebrating once again.

For lack of a smart detail I'll just go by what I learned through public school.

Elementary- Indians helped pilgrims settle in America. This is what is thought in elementary.

Middle school- pilgrims and Indians had a very uneasy truce and even bad some fights but it melted away when winter hit and once again Indians showed some living skills.

Now that's thanksgiving which gets most Americans a week off from school and a few days off work plus as of almost a decade ago, stores the chance to dump all the crap before the next years worth of gadgets come in.

Now on the other hand we have Columbus Day. A once decent holiday that once again celebrated the beginning (by elementary teaching) of a countries eventually rise to what it is. Of course in college you eventually learn Columbus might have been a monster but hey that's a decade between teachings. But this holiday is now the red headed step child. Half the country us ashamed to even give the day off.

And have to ask ....why? Both these holidays are pretty much the same but yet we celebrate one still while we shun the others because....PC? And mistreatment? Isn't thanksgiving the exact fucking samething?

Now I'm not asking for the cancellation of thanksgiving, I love this month besides it's the month that contains my birthday, but I just feel it's a bit hypocritical is all. Plus I don't want to wake up 8 years from now and find out ppl are cancelling thanksgiving cause #nativelivesmatter or some crap like that.

Also on a separate note. Anyone notice every February there is a black historical movie made? Just started to realize this.
    well Columbus was not only far from the first Europe to come here, he also never technically came here.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

It's a day off from work for most people, who cares why at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    *What we're celebrating*
    A traditional national holiday
    That's a bout it. We're not looking back on our history or our past, we're just sitting down with family and gorging our faces with food because it's what we've done with our families for years.
    People also celebrated Columbus Day with fireworks and parties, now we don't cause of history....soooo try again maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    People also celebrated Columbus Day with fireworks and parties, now we don't cause of history....soooo try again maybe?
    I've NEVER seen fireworks or parties on Columbus day. Only gotten to stay home from school and had the bank closed. Being personally against celebrating Columbus day because of the atrocities that he caused isn't going to change the fact that it's recognized as a national holiday. If flag day started out 100 years ago about a day where people stood around a flag and burned it followed by hanging a newer flag, we'd probably be doing that today.

They used to celebrate Christmas in the same way. The New York Police Department was founded to combat the rowdiness of Christmas celebrations.

I'm not sure what your point is. As times change so do our celebrations. Most people don't even know or care WHY we celebrate these holidays. We just do.

Hell most Christian holidays were originally pagan holidays that were assimilated. Want to destroy a religion? Make their holidays yours and throw a bigger party.

By high school, they were piling the bullshit high and deep in other worlds. You'd think the Mayflower pilgrims were Gul'dan's horde instead of the mostly prissy bunch they were.

Adulthood- Indians and pilgrims where pretty much the same, unenlightened people who mistrusted the other side and was trying to take advantage. There was fear and good reason to be afraid. There was greed on both sides.

People are people.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

All I know is bankers have a de-facto 4 day work week when you add all these up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    By high school, they were piling the bullshit high and deep in other worlds. You'd think the Mayflower pilgrims were Gul'dan's horde instead of the mostly prissy bunch they were.
    You must have recently gone through school then, because I was never guilted or shamed into these holidays.