Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Shadow Of Mordor or Witcher 3?

Hey

Both of these games are on steam atm for like 50% off and i'm wondering which one is most worth buying, Since from what i've seen they're pretty similar in terms of gameplay

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Deleted
    is this a joke????Witcher 3 all the way.sorry if I'm rude.

Witcher 3, without a doubt. Shadow of Mordor is meh at best.

Witcher. Gameplay wise, Mordor might edge it, but storywise, The Witcher owns it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Deleted
    From what I've seen of Mordor it's not like Witcher a great deal - I would go for Witcher 3 but I'm incredibly biased. If you're a fan of epic stories definitely go for Witcher though, if you dislike having in-depth conversations with NPC's it might not be for you though.

Deleted
    Similiar Gameplay? Not at all, SoM has the freeflow combat known from the Batman Arkham series and W3 doesn't.

SoM is a lot like Assassins Creed with a better combat system.

Personally I think W3 is the better option, it has at least 4 times the gametime and more RPG in it in general.
    I would take W3 over SoM any day.

But why not both? SoM only is 17 € now. Well, I guess you are on a budget.
    Assuming you like both games the same W3 simply is longer and therefore you get more game for your money.
    Some people really dislike the combat though, something about it beeing like Dark Souls and they have played that for 200 hours already.

Are...
    Are...
    Are...
    ARE YOU REALLY?!

The Witcher 3 of course D: Holy damn.

Shadow of Mordor is more of an action game with a small-ish story line where the gameplay is the emphasis. Combat is very close to Batman(surprise) because it's a WB game and does it pretty well. What makes SoM great is the nemesis system that made a small debut where the orcs you fight kind of exist in a hierarchy of commanders and peasants. A high rank orc that kills you or survives your assault will remember you until he dies either by you or another orc who takes his place and rank, it's really cool. The first half of the story is mostly about infiltrating their ranks through domination to kill a bad guy.

Gameplay itself includes gathering runes for your weapons and leveling two separate skill trees, one for wraith magic and one for combat. Wratih includes stealing information from orcs, dominating them, their dogs and giant trolls to ride or company you and some subtle spells.

Witcher 3 says itself, it's a typical RPG with a lenghty story in a kind of a sandbox world. If you played previous witcher games you can expect a better game on pretty much all points IMO. Crafting is prevalent but it's not overly boring because you don't spend all your time to craft consumables because once you make a potion, oil or bomb it refreshes itself over time, both bad and good depending on who you ask. Armor is more interesting because there are different sets that all emphasize a certain sign and play style with a tiny bit of story for every piece you obtain.

Both games have 93% and 94% positive score on steam so if you like their respective genre none should disappoint.
    Last edited by Saft; 2015-11-28 at 12:30 PM.

Mordor is like Assassin's Creed or the Arkham games.
    Witcher is more like Dragon Age or Skyrim.

They're both good games for different reasons, so it comes down to personal taste. Witcher 3 has a lot more hours of content than Mordor, for what is worth.

As someone who loves Mordor and doesn't own Witcher 3 (nor has ever played any of the series).

Witcher 3.

$ spent to hours played ratio will be well in your favour.

We don't think flying makes questing quicker. We think it makes it trivial. There is a difference. Source
    How does flying trivialise this quest?
    Cherry picking data, have a read.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're radically different, if you enjoy some "mindless" action like batman games i'd consider SoM a better batman game, it's quite fun whilst Witcher 3 is all about immersion and rpg elements to it. I thoroughly enjoyed SoM first few hours because of the combat, then.... just like batman it fell a bit appart because there's just combat and not much more aside from that (and colect-a-thons), witcher is a game that will last longer and will be a more rpg oriented experience, chose wisely.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both are great games.

Witcher 3 is much much bigger and has an amazing story, Mordor has much funner/fact paced combat. Witcher 3's combat is pretty fun, but becomes extremely boring after a while and if you build your character right you can 1-2 hit most creatures. I managed to 3 shot the final boss of the game which I felt was pretty lame.

I'd say buy both? You can pick Mordor up for less than $10 on key re-seller sites. I got Base game + season pass for $13.

Also a main difference is I put 210hrs into Witcher 3. I 100%'d Mordor in 28hrs. So value wise, Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 + the expansion for sure. Great main game and amazing expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    The correct answer is 'both'. Mordor for its awesome gameplay and unpredictable Nemesis system, Witcher 3 for its... well, everything.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you enjoy lots of talking to NPC's with really bad combat when you actually get to play the game instead of talking then go Witcher 3.

If you want a fast paced action game that will give you a few hours of excitement before you realize the entire game is the same go with SoM.

Personally I hate games that talk to NPC's a lot. I hated the Mass Effect games and Elder Scrolls games for this reason. I would rather spend my money on the game that provides a few hours of action entertainment over the game that is 40 hours plus when 30 hours are talking story games. Just my opinion though.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

I very much enjoyed both but the witcher is enjoyable on so many different levels. Mordor is just a great action game.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    witcher what? Go for Shadow of Mordor, without a 2nd thought

Witcher 3 is the best RPG ever made with overwhelmingly positive reception and a torrent of GOTY awards to follow.

SoM is a LOTR spinoff of Assassin's Creed.

If you enjoy lots of talking to NPC's with really bad combat when you actually get to play the game instead of talking then go Witcher 3.

Witcher 3's combat isn't bad. It just gets very easy at a certain point, which applies to most games.

If you want it to be hard you can just get Ucross' Hardcore Mod which turns it into Dark Souls or Better Combat Enhanced which makes it harder.

I've only played Mordor and Witcher 2, but between those two I'd take Mordor. Combat was just smoother and more fun. I still pop on their occasionally to randomly kill a couple 100 orcs. Witcher games are great too, especially story wise, but the combat system takes a little getting used to and some people say they never get comfortable with it. Idk, they might have reworked it a bit in Witcher 3, though.

Either way you're getting a great game. If you want a little more fast paced action go with Mordor. If you want an immersive story and deep somewhat more complex gameplay, try Witcher.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperIvXx View Post
    I've only played Mordor and Witcher 2, but between those two I'd take Mordor. Combat was just smoother and more fun. I still pop on their occasionally to randomly kill a couple 100 orcs. Witcher games are great too, especially story wise, but the combat system takes a little getting used to and some people say they never get comfortable with it. Idk, they might have reworked it a bit in Witcher 3, though.

Either way you're getting a great game. If you want a little more fast paced action go with Mordor. If you want an immersive story and deep somewhat more complex gameplay, try Witcher.
    TW3's combat is superior to TW2's in every way.