Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

WTF I just found out Russian Zoo's feed predators live prey

I just found out zoos in feed their big cats live animals. Now I already predict typical 'whats the big deal' comments but for me I found this shocking

Keep reading about it, it is not just in Russia

I've seen zoos feed mice to snakes.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    For real? Are you that type that complain when he/she see in a documentary a lion eat a dear/zebra etc??

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think this is a good thing. Keeps them engaged with their pent up predatory natures instead of just sitting there being fed like cows.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I just found out zoos in feed their big cats live animals. Now I already predict typical 'whats the big deal' comments but for me I found this shocking
    As far as i know it's pretty common several places?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synners View Post
    For real? Are you that type that complain when he/she see in a documentary a lion eat a dear/zebra etc??
    There's a big difference

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I would think this is a good thing. Keeps them engaged with their pent up predatory natures instead of just sitting there being fed like cows.
    Not if their prey is tied up

There's a big difference
    Some animals will refuse to eat meat that they haven't killed because it might not be edible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not if their prey is tied up
    Well that's not fair.

Deleted
    I saw this documentary once where they lowered a cow into predator facility. They also used live goats and strained them to a pole to be eaten. It was horrific. Especially when they broke loose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I saw this documentary once where they lowered a cow into a velociraptor facility... Fucking animal cruelty.
    I too was shocked when I saw that but I believe it was lowered into a T-Rex paddock not Raptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I too was shocked when I saw that but I believe it was lowered into a T-Rex paddock not Raptor.
    NSFW VERY GRAPHIC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    NSFW VERY GRAPHIC
    Not even a spit of blood. >.>

Well they are only animals! There just aren't enough celebrity animals out there going to the Oscar's or duetting with rappers to make people value their lives more, if someone could just train a chimp to use social media.

Carnivores eat other animals. There is no fair or unfair about it. If anything you should be complaining about the predators being put in cages for our amusement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I know some zoos use butchered parts of animals, and deliver them in ways that force the big cats to leap/do work and engage them instead of just feeding them like cows like you say. They get different challenges to get the food, which I'd think is much more engaging than tossing a tied up live goat in - also less cruel to the goat/horse/whatever is being fed.

This is a video from kristiansand zoo in norway were they send a horseleg in on zipline, forcing the lion to jump up and try to pull it down (or, as this lion does, eat it while its hanging from the air) - note there is a chopped off horseleg in this video.

Basically its the kind of thing my housecat does when playing with a catnip toy or something we've hung from a doorknob, except for a larger cat combined with feeding.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdCzPT_Cd4Q

15+ Year Old Account
    Only thing I've seen in docus and such are snakes and it is contested if it is beneficial with live prey at all with snakes.
    What I do feel sure about is that it is hardly restricted to Russian zoos.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

"We have been sheltered in some weird way to think our way of living should be imposed on animals. The idea that this is somehow brutal, goddamnit, it's called being a cat; this is what cats do."

https://youtu.be/maDKuFeyQv4?t=8m42s

15+ Year Old Account
    I hear predators have been observed actually killing animals as a natural part of their behavior. Shocking!

Reminds me a bit about the people getting outraged at the Danish zoo showing children the anatomy of a dead giraffe. Just a weird thing to be outraged about.

Last edited by Revi; 2015-11-28 at 02:12 PM.

Thank christ these animals are forced to live in captivity their whole lives, I would shudder to think how many more innocent prey animals they would eat in the wild. #cagealllions