Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Talking Why Vanilla & pre-cata is worse

One thing that really bugged me about vanilla was how you had to be social to progress, all I have to do now is enter LFG.
    I see people complaining about how much better it was but all the unnecessary player interaction just doesn't help, I feel like instant gratification and things such as LFG really saved the MMO genre because they managed to save a lot of time and player resourced but still keep the genre alive and I feel as if all of these things are really underappreciated.

I'm really hyped for legion, especially those class changes.

We've been spoiled past the point of no return, and there is no going back without upsetting those who remain subscribed. Had Blizzard maintained the mechanics & social gameplay requirements we had in Classic & TBC for all expansions that followed, and never deviated, it would be a totally different game today.

The game brought in a lot of folks who actually don't enjoy what an MMO delivers when designed right, and then spent years trying to appease and retain that playerbase (and they still do, actually). For that reason alone, those older design choices won't ever return, at least not in this title.

Whether you think that's good or not, well...*shrug*

Changes like that certainly helped the game and genre thrive; whether they helped the community thrive or not is a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by twrule View Post
    Changes like that certainly helped the game and genre thrive; whether they helped the community thrive or not is a separate issue.
    I agree so very much with this, massively multiplay online games weren't meant to be social, that's why I love LFG and any form of instant gratification, immersion isn't everything and people really do complain too much about things that are so much better now.

Well that's it, my mind is changed by this compelling argument.

Deleted
    Oh you hated being social in a massive multiple online game? Poor you, it must have been so tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarnova View Post
    We've been spoiled past the point of no return, and there is no going back without upsetting those who remain subscribed. Had Blizzard maintained the mechanics & social gameplay requirements we had in Classic & TBC for all expansions that followed, and never deviated, it would be a totally different game today.
    Yup, I don't think it really went down hill until Cata, but wrath didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by kefffka View Post
    I agree so very much with this, massively multiplay online games weren't meant to be social, that's why I love LFG and any form of instant gratification, immersion isn't everything and people really do complain too much about things that are so much better now.
    it's a massive multiplayer game. Why would you play something like that expecting to never interact with other people...

C'mon. You can only hide being a you-know-what so much with comments like this. Melodramocracy echos my opinion. The game today is not what MMOs originally were seen as, and with more and more people only playing for instant gratification and asocial tendencies, we're not going to have a hit grindy game any more in the history of humanity.

Ok, at least in our lifetimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeaccord311 View Post
    it's a massive multiplayer game. Why would you play something like that expecting to never interact with other people...
    There's plenty of ways to interact with other players, interacting with other players doesn't mean playing facebook, you can compete with other players, fight them, kill them for instance
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2015-11-29 at 01:07 AM.

Oh you had to be social in an online community.. Woe is me

I heard someone who wanted the auction house to be like just a posting of people saying "Hey i have this item" and then you had to whisper the guy to set up a trade, that would mean.. wait until the guy is on at the same time as you (and him not begin in a raid or something before you could buy the item you need right then and there

That would be hell imo.. and i'm happy they removed the "LFM ... Need tank" that you had to spamm for hours, and someone always left before you even got to the dungeon as full grp xD

and dungeons were never viable while leveling, took so long to walk to stuff that you would be better of just keep Questing, It's better system now Imo

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Deleted
    How can you logically argue that these changes that happened after WoTLK made the MMO genre thrive? The game started dipping after the point in which you're arguing for.

Funny how game was most popular pre-cata, I wonder why!

One thing that really bugged me about vanilla was how you had to be social to progress, all I have to do now is enter LFG.
    I see people complaining about how much better it was but all the unnecessary player interaction just doesn't help, I feel like instant gratification and things such as LFG really saved the MMO genre because they managed to save a lot of time and player resourced but still keep the genre alive and I feel as if all of these things are really underappreciated.

I'm really hyped for legion, especially those class changes.
    I feel like I'm reading a really bad sarcastic strawman argument from one of the usual suspects on a forum alt (something that is against the forum rules).

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    There's plenty of ways to interact with other players, interacting with other players doesn't mean playing facebook, you can compete with other players or kill them for instance
    So you are saying instead of having a community of people interacting with one another we should queue from a faceless world inside our lonely garrisons directly into an instance with 29 other soulless individuals? We should drudge forward alone into the void with no concern for others? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I heard someone who wanted the auction house to be like just a posting of people saying "Hey i have this item" and then you had to whisper the guy to set up a trade, that would mean.. wait until the guy is on at the same time as you (and him not begin in a raid or something before you could buy the item you need right then and there

That would be hell imo.. and i'm happy they removed the "LFM ... Need tank" that you had to spamm for hours, and someone always left before you even got to the dungeon as full grp xD

and dungeons were never viable while leveling, took so long to walk to stuff that you would be better of just keep Questing, It's better system now Imo
    Better is certainly subjective. More convenient? Yeah I think we can all agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvestra View Post
    Funny how game was most popular pre-cata, I wonder why!
    It was most popular post vanilla and post TBC.

But nice try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I feel like OP is a Jaylock alt? I mean, come on, if you hate social interaction... why play a multiplayer game?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It was most popular post vanilla and post TBC.

But nice try.
    it peaked at end of bc-mid wrath. The menu driven rbg game style didn't start to the very end of wrath.

but nice try.