How come Nintendo/Sony/Sega etc do not just make their own emulators for PC?

Was wondering... How come the big companies don't just have their own SNES/NES/Genesis/PS1 etc. emulators for PC and sell them? There's so many ROMs available, that if they just charged even 3-5 bucks for older games, tons of people would probably buy. Alot of people don't want to go thru the hassle of setting up an emulator (even though it's not hard) and I'm sure it would bring in money.

If say... Sony came out with a Steam type of app where you could buy old Ps1/Ps2 games, I don't see how it would fail. However, none of the companies have done it yet so there must be a reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Was wondering... How come the big companies don't just have their own SNES/NES/Genesis/PS1 etc. emulators for PC and sell them? There's so many ROMs available, that if they just charged even 3-5 bucks for older games, tons of people would probably buy. Alot of people don't want to go thru the hassle of setting up an emulator (even though it's not hard) and I'm sure it would bring in money.

If say... Sony came out with a Steam type of app where you could buy old Ps1/Ps2 games, I don't see how it would fail. However, none of the companies have done it yet so there must be a reason?
    Honestly, why even sell the emulator separately at that point? You could by, e.g. Sonic 2, and it's emulated behind the scenes. no dicking with settings, no loading up the rom. just click and play.

Um what? Crappy PC emulators vs virtual mode etc on current consoles that are better designed to emulate said games. It's a no brainer. They also make more money that way. Not only do they sell the old games they also get to sell you their latest console which you will enevitably buy actual games for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

I would buy a few emulators.

Because they sell those old games back to you through Virtual Console and PSN and HD remakes.

Ummm no one would sell an emulator.

They would sell games that come packaged with emulation to make them run on PC, Sega already does this... Sony and Nintendo never will as long as they can sell classics/virtual console games for $5-20 a pop on their own consoles.