Thread: M.2 ssd

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

M.2 ssd

I need another SSD and I am going back and forth on getting a SSD for my M.2 slot.

I've not dived too deep into the various offerings so I thought I would start here and see if any of you have experience with an M.2 SSD and if you did, what your thoughts are?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Deleted
    Most of them are on same speeds as the sata3 ones while usually being more expensive. So there is no reason to buy one, some ppl got booting problems if they have o/s on it. Unless you go for the new samsung 951 which got crazy speeds. Its a little expensive and really there is no benefit on an average user or gamer. For some pro work that loading matters definately. If you are enthusiast and want to spend money for "must have" rights go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    If you are enthusiast and want to spend money for "must have" rights go for it
    Must have thing right now is the Samsung 950 pro m.2 NVMe card. They are quite expensive though usually 1$/€ for a gig. And yes little to no benefit for gaming, nor anything else for that matter, cause 500 MB/s is plenty fast already for your typical application.

Also look at how many drives you already have and how they are connected as usually M.2 slot's and sata drives share resources and you can not fill all your connectors up as using one may render another unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Also look at how many drives you already have and how they are connected as usually M.2 slot's and sata drives share resources and you can not fill all your connectors up as using one may render another unusable.
    m.2 doesn't share resources with SATA drives if it runs off the PCI-E bus instead of the SATA bus

7+ Year Old Account
    Unless you go for the new samsung 951 which got crazy speeds. Its a little expensive and really there is no benefit on an average user or gamer. For some pro work that loading matters definately. If you are enthusiast and want to spend money for "must have" rights go for it
    That's the one I was looking at. And its certainly not a need, just a want... I've got 200 burning a hole on my pocket and my current SSD is at about 80%.

Thanks everyone for weighing in, appreciate your thoughts.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    That's the one I was looking at. And its certainly not a need, just a want... I've got 200 burning a hole on my pocket and my current SSD is at about 80%.

Thanks everyone for weighing in, appreciate your thoughts.
    Just remember via uefi you have to install to the m2 thru usb not dvd

Deleted
    If those 200 are usd, well with a 150 you can get a samsung evo 500gb. I think that will offer you the "storage" space you need really.

7+ Year Old Account
    If those 200 are usd, well with a 150 you can get a samsung evo 500gb. I think that will offer you the "storage" space you need really.
    They are US. I've got 2 850 evos, a 120 gb (a mistake too small) and a 500 gb. I've got a pretty much empty 1 tb WD too. Like I said, there is no "need" at all for this m.2 - just a want to eek out some bragging rights and epeen strokes. lol. I will likely not get the m.2 though. Think I will get the dark rock 3 and replace my ugly CM 212 cooler and a replacement cable set for my PSU.

Why a marginal upgrade instead of h100i or such?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Why a marginal upgrade instead of h100i or such?
    I don't want to go for water cooling, but if I did, I'd opt for the Karken x61 over the h100i.

Remember, there are SATA and PCIE m.2 drives. Not all m.2 ports support both, so check your mobo/laptop manual before buying.

Also PCIE m.2 are much more expensive - almost to the point where you'd be better off just getting a regular SSD

Deleted
    from experience.
    Save your money, the technology is still in its baby steps, give it a couple of years and it will be fantastic. however at the moment it is way too expensive for the marginal gains you get.