Which mage class best for PVP?

Hi everyone,

Im thinking of coming back to WoW again after a 8 year hiatus, mainly for PvP. I used to play as a frost mage.

What is currently considered to be the best mage class for PvP these days? Is frost still considered to be the most ideal?

7+ Year Old Account
    frost
    /10frostychars

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Arcane works in arenas but only with crystal which is clunky as fuck.

The last time I played was during BC, and I think that's when Arcane started to really up it's game. It would be really cool to check it out.

On the other hand, my mage is already spec'ed for frost, so that makes things easier when joining back.

It's sad to hear though that the number of people who play have greatly dipped. Hopefully that Warcraft movie can help rev things up again.

warlock unholy blood mage

Deleted
    mage is a class. frost is a spec.

Frost is the only truly viable spec. Fire has lost a ton of tools (and is losing more in Legion) and Arcane is just a "kill or be killed" kind of spec for Arenas or large-scale BGs (AV/IoC).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Frig Arcane in PvP. You get interrupted while casting AB for example you've lost everything including Blink. All you can do is blow an extremely early IB or facetank the dmg while silenced.
    You can't really follow the PvE rotation at all either. Someone interrupts your Evocation... Lol.

Frost has loads of instant casts (which hit like a truck BTW), slows, freezes... It's really good.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2015-12-01 at 02:13 PM.

Deleted
    Battlegrounds is probably fire. Arcane if the enemy team is bad and can't interrupt. Arena I guess is still frost but I've no idea if fire is also great there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Frost is the only truly viable spec. Fire has lost a ton of tools (and is losing more in Legion) and Arcane is just a "kill or be killed" kind of spec for Arenas or large-scale BGs (AV/IoC).
    Absolutely. You CAN have a lot of fun as fire in BGs, mind you, but frost is just better in almost every regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Prandoff View Post
    Absolutely. You CAN have a lot of fun as fire in BGs, mind you, but frost is just better in almost every regard.
    Oh of course, but OP wasn't asking for "fun in BGs", they were asking for "which spec is the best", which is undeniably Frost. You don't see high-skill Mages playing Fire/Arcane in WoD because they just don't have the tools.

If Fire still had Deep Freeze, you might see a few outliers though.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Arcane can be pretty good in arena. But it's not easy. It relies on instant casts, prismatic crystal, cc, double pom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best is always frost, will always be frost forever.
    Because frost is always 190% instant casts which is quite dumb.

Don't think I've ever lost against a frost mage in a BG though, as a fire mage myself.
    140k Dragon's Breath to the face is pretty hilarious.