Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    He's always been my favorite comic character. His wit was some part of it, and the fact that his powers made him potent, but not invulnerable (without stories needing stupid gimmicks like Kryptonite) also helped. The major thing, however, is that even with all his powers, he still had the same problems as everyone else. He's got everything going for him, but still gets a talking to from Aunt May because he forgot to pick up the groceries. He's super smart, but still has to work his way through school with a crappy boss. And even with his life in constant chaos, he still chooses to help other people even at the cost of making things more difficult for himself. That, to me, is a true hero and a character I can relate to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I would argue he isn't.

From being a hugely successful and popular comic book character, to being a 2nd/3rd rate superhero by 2015.

I think a series of bad movies, combined with a lack of direction on how to update the character for a more mature audience has done spiderman no favours.
    This.
    It's sad when obscure comics like Guardians of the Galaxy get more exposure than Spider-Man.
    Hopefully the new Spider-Man movie that's coming out soon and is part of the MCU will do him justice. If Marvel can fix Daredevil's popularity after his catastrophic movie then there is still hope.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    This.
    It's sad when obscure comics like Guardians of the Galaxy get more exposure than Spider-Man.
    Hopefully the new Spider-Man movie that's coming out soon and is part of the MCU will do him justice. If Marvel can fix Daredevil's popularity after his catastrophic movie then there is still hope.
    The problem was that Sony that owned the Spider-Man IP for movies really didnt do Spider-man enough justice. Now that its back in Marvel/Disneys hands we can finally get the movie we deserve.

His comics are still selling good though.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    it is? Didn't know that, honestly can't understand why people care so much about "superheroes"

I didnt mind Spiderman for the first 1 2 3 movies, although the 3rd one went kinda meh. now the new kid takes over and 1 was ok but still pretty messed up, 2 was much worse. The human part helps, like take Superman for example, hes literally the most boring superhero in the world. he has almost every superpower and can only be hurt by kyptonite. he also has the lamest disguise ever, a pair of glasses (lol really). plus spiderman seems more relate-able to youth, and more ordinary. hes not perfect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    I guess people like him for the same reason that they like Superman; they're both essentially morally and ethically almost 'perfect' characters who always do 'the right thing'.
    Technically, he didn't start like that.
    Unlike other hero who decided to become hero the second they found out they have super power, he decided to used it for himself.

Actually, there was high chance for him to become villain little by little because of his apathy about what is right and wrong at the beginning.
    (poor life, without parent, bulling at school, people ignoring him...etc)
    But his apathy cause his uncle death which change his entire view about what is right and wrong.

Deleted
    Spider-Man is a guy with a special personality, who happens to have super-powers, and has to cope with all good and all bad things coming with them. While he is a super-hero, he also has everyday problems, a family, a love-life, a job etc. Most Marvel characters are personalities first, and only then come powers. You can see this especially in the case of characters who (temporarily) lose their powers, at least partially (Jubilee, Cyclops, Magneto). They still are cool characters, and have their stories.

Superman is first a bunch of powers, and then there is some kind of character attached to this. Boring. And now they even have cancelled his marriage to Lois Lane, the only sympathic thing about him. Most DC superheros are like that, boring. Batman and his entourage are an exception to this - the less super-powers a DC character has, the better its for his or her personality (Green Arrow also works like that).

Deleted
    Spandex.

I've been running about in a black morphsuit for the past couple of weeks....with clothing sometimes and i've found it improves every situation.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Spider-Man is a successful character because he is one of the few superheroes people can relate to.

He was an awkward high school kid who was raised in a middle class family. His powers are interesting, but not overpowered. He is caught in a world where his involvement and decisions impacts his loved ones, and, more than most superheroes, he has to navigate the real world and find balance with his superhero activities to a much larger degree just to put food on his table.

Batman and Iron Man are cool because of their gadgets, but they were born to money and don't really struggle with real life. Superman has some threads common to regular people due to his upbringing, but it ends there. There are a few other characters (e.g. some X-men characters) that people can relate to a bit as well, but Spider-Man is probably the only solo hero that comes to mind easily that more common man.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    He could kill 5 Captain Americas at the same time if he went all in.

And he's popular because, like the average comic book reader, he's a teenage nerd. He has real problems like girls and confidence issues and high school. So the reader relates.
    He is also poor as fuck and gets through life on merit honestly.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    He's a screw-up in his real life but still a hero who always does the right thing, which constantly hurts him personally, but he carries on regardless. He's the perfect relate-able hero, showing people that they can be screw-ups but still be good guys too.

because he is famous and well known character for abnout 70 years now...

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I remember his spidey sense is op.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    He is possibly the most relatable superhero. Bam. Success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

He's relatable as Peter Parker for most nerds and they can live vicariously through him when he becomes Spiderman and a total badass.