Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

3 games that everyone else likes but you don't, and why?

Inspired by the other topic on the forums at the moment, but the opposite!

What are some games that everyone and their Mum seems to love, yet you just find "meh", or actively dislike?
    And for what reasons?

1: Skyrim.
    I don't know what it is, but it's just one of those games I played, going in thinking "I want to like this, and I probably will like this" and just got bored of. Maybe it's because I don't like open world game so much, but I honestly feel that the combat is just badly designed, and, at worst, tedious. I hear about all these awesome experiences people have, and I wish I could just get past the fact.

2: Bioshock Infinite.
    Again, up to what I played, it had one of the best stories, and by far one of the most creative worlds I've played in a game (rivalling that of Deus Ex and FF7 and Metal Gear for me), but the game play felt repetitive to the point of having to quit after 10 hours. I still never completed it.

3: LoL.
    I'm not sure if this could really count, but having tried LoL, and despite all my friends playing it, I just couldn't get into it after having played Starcraft for years, and at the time, just not understanding why people found it interesting. I then discovered Smite a few years later and fell in love, with all the concepts that interested me from LoL and other MOBAs, but without that feeling of taking one unit in SC and microing it round.

Anyway, what're your 3?

Skyrim because its a neutered, extremely casual version of the elder scrolls that became a "meme game" where people bought it to be like their youtube "influencers" and vocally catterwauled how it was the best thing ever when it ruins almost everything good about the elder scrolls games. Its why i havent touched fallout 4 with a 40 foot pole either it made me that wary of bethesda games post skyrim.

Again i agree with Bioshock infinte. Bioshock is one of my favourite games of all time. The art deco setting, the story, the music the fun gameplay, its all great bar the lame ending. 2 was a rushed cash in with a generic religious cult madlibs tier plot but was still enjoyable enough. Then we got infinite which looked nice enough but at times devolved almost into a cartoon. The original premise and "gameplay" was complete lies and what we got was a 2 weapon hypr linear bro shooter in disguise and one of the most poorly recobbled together from an earlyier build salvaged plotlines i have seen in a videogame since the mid 90's. Its a fun experience ill give it that but it is also a complete step down from Bioshock in every regard and monstrously overrated by the mainstream.

Assassins creed. I have been given 4 different titles in the series for free and even than each time i have made it less than 3 hours in. I cant quite quantify why but something about the games screams 'waste of my time' to me, and i know thats a poor excuse but a game where right from the off i dont care about the story and i just want to go play something like Metal Gear Solid instead is not doing anything to suit my tastes.

I have only one: Half-Life. Both of them. I don't particularly hate it, just that for a game that has been placed upon such a ludicrously high pedestal in popular culture, it was... wanting. I was never wowed or awed by the game.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    1: The Walking Dead
    Purely because of the setting. I don't know what it is about the Walking Dead setting, but it's the only Telltale game I dislike. That or it's the characters, I suppose.

2: League of Legends (and Dota 2)
    Not casual enough, basically. I stay away from hardcore competitive multiplayer, since I just can't bring myself to spend that much of my gaming time on any one game anymore.

3: Grand Theft Auto IV
    This entry in the GTA series pretty much took away what I loved about Vice City and San Andreas, leaving a pretty dreary and dull world with annoying phone calls.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Skyrim. At least, vanilla Skyrim. NPCs were boring, the story was boring, the combat was boring...really boring game imo. Then the mods came along and saved the day. My hyper modded Skyrim is an amazing game.

2. Planescape: Torment. I think I just missed the timing on this one. I didn't actually play it until a few years ago and it was too dated for my tastes. I mean, I frequently go back and replay a lot of older games (like Chrono Trigger!) but some game mechanics just don't age well. That's how I felt about Planescape: Torment.

3. Final Fantasy XII. I felt like this game was too ambitious and the game suffered for it. The story was all over the place, they introduced bore-snore politics, the combat was too MMO-ey...just a bunch of small things that prevented me from getting invested. It's a shame, because the world was awesome. <3 Ivalice

1. The Witcher 3. I don't really dislike it but I didn't enjoy it like almost everyone seems to have. A big part of it is that I didn't like the protagonist, the combat, and the main story didn't really grab me (actually thought Witcher 2's story was better). The best part of the game for me was the world and the side quests.

2. The Last of Us. While I thought the narrative was great, the relationship between the characters was among the best I've seen, the actual gameplay was pretty disappointing to me.

3. Final Fantasy (all of them). I just don't like it. I'm not a fan of JRPGs so I imagine that is a big part of why I don't like anything in that series.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    1: Skyrim.
    I don't know what it is, but it's just one of those games I played, going in thinking "I want to like this, and I probably will like this" and just got bored of. Maybe it's because I don't like open world game so much, but I honestly feel that the combat is just badly designed, and, at worst, tedious. I hear about all these awesome experiences people have, and I wish I could just get past the fact.
    PC player? If so, install some mods. Combat isn't a strength in vanilla Skyrim, but you can add a lot of depth to it with some mods. In my experience, the ones that just plain make combat deadlier are the best.

Anyway, I'll give it a go.

1. Minecraft
    Graphics from the early 90s and no actual objective in sight? No thanks, and no thanks to the versions that try to monkeypatch things like combat in either. I've seen people build cool things with it and kudos to them, but I have zero interest in playing this.

2. Any survival game.
    Okay, this is a bit of a cheat since it's far more than one game. To me, the best part of video games is as an escape; to be something and someone I'm not, to play in some other world. I'm really not interested in playing a game where my primary goal is to find food and shelter and try not to die. I honestly have no idea what the appeal of such a game is.

3. Dragon's Age: Inquisition.
    Dragon's Age: Origins is one of my favorite games of all time. If somebody would create a game like that again, they can have my money. But the latest versions? Ugh. Part of the problem is that DA:I is it is obviously made for consoles; it becomes 90% less annoying when I plug a controller into my PC, which pisses me off to no end (especially after reading their interviews about how they're "focusing on the PC" this time). Even with a controller though, I just can't get into it. I'm not a fan of the combat, not a fan of no click-to-move looting, not a fan of having to ensure my character is standing dick-to-dick with the enemy to make sure I'm in range for an attack to connect. Somehow it just lost the soul of what made the first game great.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

The Witcher-series. There's something about Geralt that just puts me off, whether it's the appearance, VO or personality - I don't really know.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    2. The Last of Us. While I thought the narrative was great, the relationship between the characters was among the best I've seen, the actual gameplay was pretty disappointing to me.
    I could not agree more, I tried it for a few hours and just could not get the combat. It was just dull. Great story, awful gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    I could not agree more, I tried it for a few hours and just could not get the combat. It was just dull. Great story, awful gameplay.
    The problem with the Last of Us is simple: They designed story first gameplay second.

I love the game a lot, the opening is in my opinion the strongest opening in a game this decade other than maybe MGSV, the characters are good, the story is interesting and the locations, music and art direction is just fantastic. As is the voice acting. But the game is a movie first game second. Huge areas of forced walking and talking to mask giant loading sections, the fact that you can shoot through the stealth sections with ease and stealth through the shooting sections with ease and utterly break the game leaving conga lines of enemy corpses because they never thought players would divert away from the gameplay their movie wanted. And worst of all the 'harder' difficulties are lazy number tweaking and nothing else.

It all sums up in a good story, but as a videogame its a lot of style but the substance is extremely lacking.

GTA
    Last of Us
    Uncharted

I like games, not interactive movies.

Deleted
    Team Fortress 2 - just a bad experience to play, no fun etc.

CS:GO - I don't understand why it's so popular, it's an awful game with bad gameplay and graphics.

Call of Duty - wayyy over rated, used to be a good series until black ops 1 and then it was all twitch reactions etc.

1: The Last of Us
    Pretty much the same reasons as Doozerjun. It would work great as just a movie, but as a videogame its pretty poor gameplay wise.

2: Journey
    Another game thats not even really a game, but it won quite a lot of awards and its still being praised.

3: About 90% of all FPS (CoD, Destiny, Overwatch as examples)
    I used to do a lot of multiplayer back in the days, but now the genre feels so overfilled its like it gets less and less fun. Its like when you get a lot of food of the same thing, rather than the small servings you usually get, it loses its taste.

Bioshock, so bad. Horrible combat and mediocre story.

Uncharted started off bad but I'm going to give it another chance, bad controls.

Assassin's Creed the longer it goes on while still doing yearly releases, boring combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

GTA V - I hate the controls and hate how the guns aim, just feels like trash and ruins the game for me. Autoaim isn't fun either.

Bloodborne - I bought it and only tried to play it once. It requires to much patience for me. Resets on death are my least favorite feature and that's a big part of the game. I also end up going insane when I die and have to wait for that slow loading screen. I'm ready to get back into the action right away, but that loading screen just drives me insane. (on ps4 at least, I don't play pc games)

I'm not sure what to say for a third game. I try to avoid games I don't think I'll like, and I'm only going to comment on games that I've actually played. Of all the games I've bought in the last 2 years or so, these are the only 2 games that I've played and genuinely disliked.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Skyrim because its a neutered, extremely casual version of the elder scrolls that became a "meme game" where people bought it to be like their youtube "influencers" and vocally catterwauled how it was the best thing ever when it ruins almost everything good about the elder scrolls games.
    This is like the most hipster thing ever said about skyrim ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'll just list one from recently: Fallout 4.

behind the screen, its a great improvement for bethesda. instant game loading. no load screens. its just damn fast.

but the cost of that speed is just terrible for the actual gameplay. playing it on a PC is like role-playing down syndrome.
    the UI and character interaction is so horribly dumbed down for the sake of console peasants, that the game is just unplayable for me. i went throught the main stoyline and was happy when it was over so i dont have to play it any more.

1. MOBAs (besides HotS)
    They are long, boring, wankfests. Not to mention a few of them are pay to win. Also important to note, I have lost 3 good friends to LoL, its all they play 24/7.

2.CS:GO
    Its a shitty 1.6. Nothing more to say.

3.Telltale and Naughty Dog (modern) games.
    They are walking simulators that you can seriously watch on youtube and get the exact same experience, more than likely in less time too.

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    This is like the most hipster thing ever said about skyrim ever.
    I mean Jesus, complaining about a single player game being casual? How far will people go to give themselves a false sense of superiority?

1. Witcher series--I get why people like them, and I liked the story and the setting very much. The combat sucked every bit of fun for me, it was never intuitive or fun. It wasn't hard, just...not fun.

2. Dark Souls--perfect example of drudgery in the name of difficulty to appeal to people that complain about casuals...time consuming corpse runs! Time consuming experience loss! No explanation of game systems so you can waste even more time! Have all the fun of a 1980s RPG that no one really enjoyed but pretend they did now!

3. Heroes of the Storm--just a big ol meh, might be fun if you had a constant group to play with I guess but as a single player experience? Not fun

1. TES: Oblivion, for dumbing down awesome Morrowind into that abomination. Had some cool quests, though.

2. TES: Skyrim, for pretty much even more dumbing down RPG elements, so much that it almost became a slasher.

3. Fallout 4... the dumbing down of RPG elements crushed through floor and reached ceiling. I mean, Fallout 3 was not very bright as well, I get it, Bethesda really sucks in creating RPGs. But this abomination? I seriously mourn the loss of my 27 hours played Fallout 4. Its a shame that a game series which were one of the best RPGs in history turned into a medium-quality shooter. Sometimes I dream about a world where fekking consoles were never taken into a consideration, and most games are designed for PC only. Oh, such a wonderful world it would be. A world where a Witcher-3 quality games come out not once per 15 years, but every year instead... All I can hope is for someone actually skilled in making RPGs, like Obsidian, creating something like FNV in quality using F4 game assets. /sigh
    Last edited by l33t; 2015-11-30 at 10:47 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though