Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    As far as comics and superheros go, I was always under the idea that the color of the heroes skin is the least important thing about them. They are suppose to be a hero that all people can look up regardless of their color, they fight for what is right which is far more important then anything else about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather have new characters instead of changing classic ones just to give a room for minorities.

Cast a black actor as Hitler, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokohama View Post
    You didn't read any of the posts in this thread, did you?

Minority to whom? This thing is superfluous and entirely american centric. Black people in america do not own any back story from egypt just like white people in america do not own any back story from russia just because they may have had similar skin color.

Hell a swedish guy in finland becomes a minority. They look similar yet their traditions and pasts may be different but they can play each other.

Acting is trying to be like some other person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokohama View Post

/10char.

Cultural appropriation is a made up idea to give "progressives" something to be butthurt about. Culture is MADE to be shared, even North Korea which has one of the most oppressive regimes today allows even US visitors to its country for events like the Arirang Festival.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The whole black Egyptian thing is heavily anachronistic. For the record we don't really know their skin colour and it was a different world back then anyway. The black/white distinctions of post colonial America does not apply to ancient Egypt (which by the way was a period of over 3000 years so talking about them in a monolithic sense is wrong to begin with).
    The "we don't know" stance when it comes to ancient Egyptian...well anything, is true in the same way that evolution is only a theory. There are a lot of things that we don't know is absolutely correct, but the Egyptians have been one of the most fastidiously researched societies on the planet. What we "don't know" we have a very good idea of based on archaeological evidence, depictions by other cultures, and of course the fact that the Egyptians wrote down pretty much anything that happened.

The Egyptians identified their skin color as "red," but in a 5-color system, red encompasses basically all possible skin pigmentations with the exception black and white. If you look at art from ancient Egypt, you can see a fairly consistent coloration for normal people. There is of course some variation, particularly during the Third Intermediary Period, when the Pharaoh was of Nubian Descent, or the Ptolemaic Period, when the pharaoh was Greek, but the skin color of the average Egyptian would not change during these times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post
    It doesn't really look like they are trying to use any of that historical lore or culture in this movie tbh.

The buildings look kind of Egyptian, and there are pyramids. Most of the names are probably right but beyond that this doesn't really seem "Egyptian" at all. I mean I agree with you and all, they really should have tried harder with the casting if they wanted to be real Egyptian, but this seems closer to Marvel's Thor in that everything just vaguely based off the culture. I wouldn't be surprised if they just came out and said the gods are really just super powered aliens.
    There are a lot of weird things about that movie, at least what I've seen form the trailer. For one, the base myth about the the rivalry between Set and Horus was something that predated the pyramids. But, the pyramids let us all know that this is taking place in Egypt. So, I absolutely agree, that this movie comes down firmly on the side of fantastical entertainment, which makes the ethnicity in the actors participating irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    But the issues he would have faced being black in that time period would change the experiences of the character which would change who he is today.
    I kind of agree that superman specifically, is kind of tied to his skin color. Being the only black kid in a small town in Kansas would very likely have made him a different person. Superman is more tied to where he came from than somebody like Tony Stark who's background matters less than who he is right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    Cultural appropriation is a made up idea to give "progressives" something to be butthurt about. Culture is MADE to be shared, even North Korea which has one of the most oppressive regimes today allows even US visitors to its country for events like the Arirang Festival.
    Culture is a thing that is not a thing that is made. It certainly is a real thing, but not all people agree whether it is always a bad thing. Are Weeaboos as offensive as black face, or are they honestly reverent of a culture they wished they could participate in? Was Rock and Roll stealing fame from black musicians or a natural evolution of music? Is it okay to make a historically white character black and vice versa for the sake of artistic expression, or is it insulting to the source material?