Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricje View Post
    Here in the Netherlands our legal system is a total joke.

A few examples of ridiculous sentences:

A few years ago someone beat up some other guy. The guy ended up in the hospital with a broken jaw (in 2 places), a concussion and a fracture in his skull. Took weeks to rehabilitate and the culprit got 80 hours of community service and had to pay the victim € 1293.89 (roughly $1373.85).

A 24 year old woman was raped, physically assaulted and threatened. She lost her life and the culprit was sentenced to 4 years in prison.

Guy killed before (sat his ass in jail for 15 years), kills someone AGAIN and gets sentenced to 4 and a half years (so he'll only have to sit in jail for 3 years cause we have a stupid ass system).
    Court ruled that murder wasn't proved, only manslaughter. It wasn't proved he planned the killing. That's what caused the much lower sentence. Also, they ruled that the maximum sentence for both crimes (not sure why they were trialled combined, but they were, not gonna dig into that now) was 20 years, so 4,5 was the only thing that they could sentence him for, as he already did 15,5 years of the 20.

Man gets 120 hours of community service for a hit and run (someone's grandfather, grandmother and 2 year old daughter lost their lives cause of this guy). Allowed speed was 80 km/h, guy drove 120 km/h.
    Court ruled that it wasn't proven he drove 120 km/h, which is why the penalty was so low. They considered it proven that he drove "between 76 and 124 km/h", but that it wasn't clear how fast he was going. He also wasn't intoxicated and had no previous criminal record. If it had been proven he drove that fast, it'd have been a much higher sentence.

Man kills a biker because the biker refused to give priority. Murderer drove 50 km/h too fast and consumed alcohol... 6 months in jail and his license was suspended for 2 years.
    He wasn't driving too fast. He was intoxicated and didn't look left twice before crossing, and didn't give priority... to the motorcyclist, who was doing 97 km/h in a 50km/h zone. If the motorcyclist wasn't going 47 km/h too fast, the accident wouldn't have happened, the court ruled. But because the car driver also made mistakes (being intoxicated and the others mentioned), he still had to go to prison for 6 months.

We've been complaining about low punishments for years but sadly I doubt much will change
    This is cherry picking though. Harsh punishments are given as well, just not as frequently. Also, our understanding of "harsh punishment" differs from, say, the US. Which has the largest prison population on the planet and the most ridiculous and retarded punishments for the smallest things.
    Last edited by mmocbc5645dc6c; 2015-12-01 at 03:27 PM.

Strange balance.
    I recall a man got into an accident in which he killed two of the other driver's sons. That other driver beat him to death. He was acquitted of murder, and the DA refused to pursue an appeal.

This sounds like a pretty clear cut case of voluntary manslaughter. (i.e. they beat him up to rob him, but he died from the beating, but their intent wasn't to kill him). And 8 years for voluntary manslaughter is pretty much across the board. It's even an 8 year sentence in most of the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if that is long enough or not, but Nordic countries (and many other European countries) are more about rehabilitation than revenge, which is a lot better. For example, US would be revenge.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karmlol View Post
    For 18 year olds? Meh. They may just have been raised the wrong way. I believe everyone deserves a second chance, even for something as cruel as this. Second time, though, not so much.
    18 year olds are considered adults in Europe and well past the point where you can make your own decisions. Give them atleast 40 years.

Deleted
    In Holland 2 criminals with several misdemeanors drove over a man trying to flee the cops killing him.
    They cant prove who drove so they walk.

Not sure how that's big news. Here in Sweden you can just go to the closest news site and read about a girl (doesn't say age, only "young," wouldn't be surprised if it was a minor) who got raped after being out one night, then she managed to run away only to 100m from there AGAIN get raped by two guys who watched the first rape. 4 years in prison for one, 2.5 years+deportation for one (can't deport the first one, he might get in trouble in his home country, BOO HOO).

Yep, normal life in here in Sweden. Get raped, manage to break free and run away, get raped again. But oh no, we surely doesn't have a rape issue.

Bit of a rant, but yeah back on topic, 8 years for killing someone isn't really big news nowadays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    In Holland 2 criminals with several misdemeanors drove over a man trying to flee the cops killing him.
    Pretty crazy, but imagine being sentenced to prison over something you didn't do. Which is the bigger evil?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    18 year olds are considered adults in Europe and well past the point where you can make your own decisions. Give them atleast 40 years.
    OP failed to mention that at least one of them was 17 at the time, and as such he wasn't tried as an adult. Still being sent to regular prison as he has turned 18 during the process.

I still think you need be locked up for at least half your life if you kill someone by bashing in their skull with a weapon. Past that, anything above a petty crime should mean the remainder of your life, you've sealed your own fate at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Sounds like manslaughter not murder.
    On the contrary. Sounds like a second degree murder.

Quote Originally Posted by muwatallis View Post
    Sounds like Middle Eastern immigrants.
    Rule of thumb for most news websites or television news in Europe and the US:
    Article / reporter doesn't state the race of the perpetrator = the perpetrator is middle eastern or african american / latino.
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2015-12-01 at 03:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I always assume non-western immigrants in these kind of cases. Amazingly, it's almost always correct.
    Indeed, one can bet quite some money safely, if people dare betting that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I'm not sure if that is long enough or not, but Nordic countries (and many other European countries) are more about rehabilitation than revenge, which is a lot better. For example, US would be revenge.
    More about rehabilitation? That's just a blatant lie. If it was about rehabilitation, there would be no time limit on sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Not even will into page 1 and we got this gem.

This is not gonna end well.
    Well there are stereotypes for a reason.......
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by karmlol View Post
    For 18 year olds? Meh. They may just have been raised the wrong way. I believe everyone deserves a second chance, even for something as cruel as this. Second time, though, not so much.
    Are you joking? Killing someone is really a big deal, you dont agree i guess!!!! I'm all eye for an eye, fck them, hang them on the street and let them rot for months. Do that every time to every killer and in no time you would have peaceful country with few 100 people less.
    2nd chance, yeah right....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    More about rehabilitation? That's just a blatant lie. If it was about rehabilitation, there would be no time limit on sentences.
    Well, more about rehabilitation than most other countries, if that wasn't good enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If I got a tourist visa and traveled to Denmark and then beat someone to death, would I get the same penalty? 5 years served with time off for good behavior?

Hmmmmmm....
    And then you apply for citizenship if you served the sentence in that country ( in this case Denmark ) for 5+ years...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Wow, now that's an interesting case of how a special form of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma can be correctly applied.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Are you joking? Killing someone is really a big deal, you dont agree i guess!!!!
    I do agree, but I've already explained my reasoning in another reply. Feel free to attack my argumentation and stuff.

Also, killing people won't create a peaceful country. And a society with killing baddies as the norm can never be peaceful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Wow, now that's an interesting case of how a special form of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma can be correctly applied.
    Except that one person is actually innocent and the other isn't. If the offender betrays and the one who didn't do anything stays quiet (fuck going to prison for one year if you're innocent), the offender goes free and the innocent serves an extra sentence. Woo hoo?

Of course the perpetrators are from the middle east, who else? If they were natives the news would have said they were.
    Joke of a punishment btw, i guess it would have been "islamophobic" or "racist" to give them more years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Well, more about rehabilitation than most other countries, if that wasn't good enough for you.
    Doing it half-assed is a recipe for disaster. Either you turn to a full-on rehabilitive system or you get some proper sentencing out, with high penalties for heinous crimes.