Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    I live there and I know what I'm speaking of.

In Quebec, people are fighting to not get the refugee centers close to their homes. What do you think this will result in when it happen?

Also, only a third will be taken care of by the government. The other two third will be taken by another party, which is mainly consisting in religious societies.

This plan is already dysfunctional at its core. What happen when the spoken language comes into play? Or the school? The children will receive education outside of their religious boundaries, which will affect their core values. That's without taking into account that these people have no jobs. The government will take care for a while, but then they're on their own.

So I ask you, what plan do we have to take care of them? None.
    Quebec is really intolerant. It's no surprise that there are factions there who are against anyone who isn't white and french speaking being allowed in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post

Do you not pay attention to the other hemisphere at all or did you perhaps just miss the Paris terrorist attacks that contained shooters that snuck in with the refugees?
    Canada isn't France. No history of colonialism and minorities are treated much better and they feel at home living there.
    No risk compared to France.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    Really?

Sweden is experiencing a crisis with trying to accommodate refugees- according to the National Post, their government wants to limit intake of refugees to 10,000 per year.

Sweden has roughly a population one third of Canada. That puts Canada's 25,000+ on par with Sweden's annual goals.

Now I realize Sweden has had a huge influx over the past couple of years- but in a few months, I'm sure they can ramp up that 10,000 per year limit right?
    That 10k number is meaningless. Official estimates have put it at 190k by the end of the year. Was 80k last year.

One third of your population, 8 times your number of refugees in a year. Sweden shouldn't be ramping up anything.

Really?

Sweden is experiencing a crisis with trying to accommodate refugees- according to the National Post, their government wants to limit intake of refugees to 10,000 per year.

Sweden has roughly a population one third of Canada. That puts Canada's 25,000+ on par with Sweden's annual goals.

Now I realize Sweden has had a huge influx over the past couple of years- but in a few months, I'm sure they can ramp up that 10,000 per year limit right?

Yeah, maybe you need to count the refugees Sweden and Canada already received. A bit of a different situation then, isn't it...one that makes Canada look a lot less heroic. And for your information, that limit is quite necessary at the time being, as we hit the ceiling for what we can take, a ceiling similar to which Canada is faaa-aaar from reaching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Quebec is really intolerant. It's no surprise that there are factions there who are against anyone who isn't white and french speaking being allowed in.
    We were the firsts to accept homosexuality and transgenders in the country. To call us close-minded is in itself racial profiling.

We're fairly liberal to everyone as long that you don't rub your way of thinking in everybody's face. We also have cultural values that we care about - and no, I'm not a separatist. In fact I think separatists are those that support the most the refugees integration because they're very strong left-wing.

In any case, you ignored 3/4th of my post. And you're... you.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Canada isn't France. No history of colonialism and minorities are treated much better and they feel at home living there.
    No risk compared to France.
    Oh ya, that must be it. Those terrorists who killed all those people in Paris just did it because they felt 'unprivileged'. What a joke. Here I was thinking that Bill Nye blaming the Paris terrorist attacks on climate change was the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day, and now I can't decide between these two!
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    If 25k refugees in a few months, for a country the size of Canada, means that it is a caring society, then Sweden as an example has to be considered to be on a Mother Teresa/Nobel Peace Prize-level. Don't really see how Canada in any shape or form is "leading the way".
    Idd.

It's a great attitude to have towards refugees. But it's also a very easy attitude to have when you're barely taking any.

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Yeah, maybe you need to count the refugees Sweden and Canada already received. A bit of a different situation then, isn't it...one that makes Canada look a lot less heroic.
    I feel being half the world away is probably a reasonable reason to be late to the party. I certainly as a Canadian won't be claiming we are leading the way, but I'm also glad our government is trying to do our part on the world stage in a time of crisis and uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    There is no limit.
    There wasn't. There is now.

Last week, Sweden's Prime Minister (Stefan Löfven correct?) stated Sweden will now only take the EU minimum- 10,000 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    I feel being half the world away is probably a reasonable reason to be late to the party. I certainly as a Canadian won't be claiming we are leading the way, but I'm also glad our government is trying to do our part on the world stage in a time of crisis and uncertainty.

Then again, if you look at the map, Sweden is very, very far away from the situation as well, isn't it. Not trying to tell Canada what to do, only that it is by NO way leading the way or being impressively kind towards refugees.

15+ Year Old Account
    There wasn't. There is now.

Last week, Sweden's Prime Minister (Stefan Löfven correct?) stated Sweden will now only take the EU minimum- 10,000 per year.
    After taking in 19 times that quota this year, there's a reason for that Ideology lost out to reality.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Germany is currently the refugee champion at 800,000 a year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24583286

It's too bad the US has such a pitifully weak Commander in Chief. The role of the US should have been to run this dictator out of town so that people didn't need to flee. This is what happens when the US leads from behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    That 10k number is meaningless. Official estimates have put it at 190k by the end of the year. Was 80k last year.

One third of your population, 8 times your number of refugees in a year. Sweden shouldn't be ramping up anything.
    Sweden is ranked 10th in HDI and also very high in most other metrics. It's doing just fine taking in refugees.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It's too bad the US has such a pitifully weak Commander in Chief. The role of the US should have been to run this dictator out of town so that people didn't need to flee. This is what happens when the US leads from behind.
    Taking over a country that doesn't want you there without slaughtering civilians is a bit harder than in the movies, surprisingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    We were the firsts to accept homosexuality and transgenders in the country. To call us close-minded is in itself racial profiling.

We're fairly liberal to everyone as long that you don't rub your way of thinking in everybody's face. We also have cultural values that we care about - and no, I'm not a separatist. In fact I think separatists are those that support the most the refugees integration because they're very strong left-wing.

In any case, you ignored 3/4th of my post. And you're... you.

Come on man. It's the truth. Almost half of the province wanted to secede from Canada yet you're using them to represent the country. What kind of logic is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    Germany is currently the refugee champion at 800,000 a year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24583286
    This is really all the pro side wants - feeling good about ourselves at the expense of the country. A real "ethical" masturbation olympics

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    How many terrorists did did it take to kill those 120 something people in Paris? Wasn't it like 6? How many terrorists did it take to bring down the world trade center? Somewhere between 9 and 10 wasn't it?

Ya, let's just hope and feel like none of them will be terrorists, that the terrorists just made the active decision to not sneak in any more suicide shooters/bombers within groups of refugees, since they already used that trick once and it worked and they don't like being a one trick pony.
    Source for how many of those terrorists were refugees? Last I checked the only evidence found ended up being fake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...and-dont-know/

This says all identified people were EU Nationals.

Deleted
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle27535253/

Canada is really leading the way. Imagine that the U.S. is fighting over taking 10K refugees while Canada will be taking in 25K in just the next few months.
    While much of the world is giving in to racism, fear and xenophobia, Canada is taking another route.

So wonderful to see. Canadians are proud of this and they should be.
    Are you trying to conduct some indoctrination here? Your posts always end with something along the lines: "This is how you should behave"
    You know, you are quite pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on man. It's the truth. Almost half of the province wanted to secede from Canada yet you're using them to represent the country. What kind of logic is that?
    In 1980. You can't be serious.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This is really all the pro side wants - feeling good about ourselves at the expense of the country.
    25 K.. no 100K or more can be handled just fine by a country like Canada.

Expense of the country...yeah right.