View Poll Results: Would you support a Surname feature?

Voters
369. This poll is closed
  • Yes

207 56.10%
  • No

162 43.90%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    When your community fills that void for you, don't spend your resources competing with them unless absolutely necessary.

AH addons don't fill the gaps I was talking about. e.g. restricted searching to only a small page that must be turned slowly. If they wanted to they could easily provide a faster search.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Why can't we have nice things? Because too many people would try to push the envelope to be edgy with their name. Couple that with multiple languages and we'd have a disaster. Tom Ada, anyone? [Neutral in English, sounds like a mild profanity in Putonghua]
    This would be true enough if people didn't already do worse shit on the live servers with single word names.

The World of Warcraft community is pretty immature and already has all sorts of "thinly" veiled profanities/insults/slurs in their names. Giving them two words instead of one won't make it any worse or better.

And honestly, I've got to say from my experiences playing games that do allow for surnames, some people have been very creative and entertaining with their non-names. I get a kick out of some of them that aren't crude or stupid.

No, it's too late for that shit. I'm 100% behind it for new games, but at this point, a dying game adding something like this is meh at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Where is the "I don't give a flying eff" option?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind Surnames.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    The difference is that almost every race on Azeroth (or well, the Warcraft universe) uses surnames, whereas I have yet to see anyone shit monkeys.

If you used a reasonable example, sure, you might have a point. The point that guy was trying to make though is that there's no negatives to allowing players to have surnames, and they're right. There really isn't anything bad that can come out of it, it's just whether or not they have the means to implement it well, how much time it would take to implement and whether Blizzard considers it worth it. Chances are they don't, but nobody would be worse off if they did.
    The point i was responding to made it seem like just because there are no negatives/down sides to implementing surnames, that they should be implemented. So my point that just because there are no negatives, doesn't mean that the game needs or warrants it is valid. Also, my unreasonable example still makes my point valid.

Just because no other races currently shit monkies out of their asses and just because you can't tell me 1 negative side to being able to shit monkies out of my ass (aside from the massive amounts of toilet paper i'll likely have to carry in my bags), doesn't mean WoW needs to let me shit monkies out of my ass. Like surnames though, i would enjoy the initial shock value that shitting monkies would bring, but it would wear off quick and people would be back to doing the same old things they've done in WoW for the past.

I think surnames might be a worthy addition to RP realms, but i don't get the sense that they would serve much purpose past the initial weeks/month that they come out on PVP/PVE realms. Oh sure, if they made them like the OP suggested and you had to collect them, then the Achieve hounds/collectors would spend their time rounding them up, but once they had all of them, they would move on to something different.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    All ducks can now drop items.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raim Surion View Post
    Does anyone have any 'real' arguments against this besides the possibility that some people would choose an offensive name? Which people already do and can be reported for. Still waiting for a real argument.
    I'm personally against it. Based on my GW1&2 experience I find first name + surname too long to quickly grasp, and it clutters the chat window.
    I wouldn't mind them enabled on RP realms however since they have much more stringent rules anyway and their primary goal of the game is different.

Let's take an average night elf-ish name: Ilyanah. Okay. I can read that quickly, pronounce it alright and it's easy to type. But if Ilyanah becomes Ilyanah Ashyalia it's so much more work to read and process. It's fine with characters in a book, but in a game where you pick up most information within milliseconds, I think it's the wrong turn.

Blizzard started worrying about number inflation in part also because it is much harder to grasp 210430213 than 2104.
    That'd be my "real" argument against it.

Deleted
    I would use my Guild Wars 2 name:

NPC Shadowpunk

Would probably be forbidden to use "NPC" in WoW though

No.

Waste of resources and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabberly View Post
    Where is the "I don't give a flying eff" option?
    Whenever I don't care about a topic I don't click on it. Which is virtually the same as voting 'I don't care' just with even less caring.

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.

Sure. Only if I can make my own, though. Only being able to use pre-generated ones would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    In this sense we should all stop doing anything because well...we re in the process of dying. Not even sure if we have "expansions" waiting for our lives so why bother.
    That's why I don't make my bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

I think its stupid. Nerds gotta find other shit to occupy them. I hate RP and this is just for rp purposes.

Yes, I would love it!

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Lotus Victorya plz.

I'd only put a surname on one of my chars. I play EVE and apart from my first clone, all my other accounts have simple 1 word names.

Fundamentally, good for RP'ers, crap for general whispers/chat etc