Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can someone recommend an alarm clock?

I know this is an unusual thread, but I can't find an answer to this by searching. I have an interesting set of wants in an alarm clock, and maybe someone already knows a perfect product for my ungooglable nonsense.

Ready?

1- The clock must be visible at night- I should be able to tell the time at a glance.
    2- There must be NO blue (and ideally no green) light from the clock during the night. It can be a party of rainbows during the day, but at night it has to not have any blue (which also means no white, purple, etc).
    3- There must be an audible alarm.
    4- My cat cannot be able to do any of: turn the alarm off permanently, change the time setting of the alarm or the clock, randomly turn on some awful song at 4 AM. The cat is relentless about pressing any button on top of the alarm, and will press and hold all of them, some of them, or any one of them for random durations at random times. The cat's religion prevents her from messing with buttons on the sides, front, or back of the alarm.
    5- EDIT: Not a phone. Phones are already out for (1) and (2), but lets just be clear, I have a phone, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Bonuses for an alarm that isn't totally barebones- I wouldn't mind one that can dock an iphone, or play a CD, or whatever. I really like ones that can be set with dials, especially where the alarm time can be easily dialed forward or backwards, and of course a battery backup for the alarm when the power goes out is a great feature too.

Does anyone know of a catproof alarm that doesn't blaze blue photons with the fury of a thousand lasers?
    Last edited by XorMalice; 2015-12-05 at 04:14 AM.

i got this one,
    its a Westclox but its very minimal. mines the same except with white buttons. its like 20 years old.

the alarm never goes off though unless u manually switch it off with your fingers.

it has no phone jack/iphone stuff though or anything extra.

also has no extra lighting.

I haven't owned a watch or a clock for years. I have a high quality bluetooth speaker, paired to my phone, and both can't be used by my cat.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just use my phone.

I just use my phone. I usually don't care about the time of the night when I sleep. And my phone is on the other side of the room anyway. With a chair strategically placed between me and the phone.

Best, and so far only, way for me to reliably wake myself up is to have a super annoying sound and forcing me to stand up, switch on the room light and walk over to the phone. You wouldn't believe at how good I am at switching a radio clock off in my sleep. It's unreal.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Why not just use your phone? It's off the grid, so blackouts won't screw you up. You can use any audio file (or maybe even video file), probably even a radio station, as your alarm. You can check the time just by pushing a button, otherwise it'll be dark so it won't bother you with it's glow. You can have it on silent, or even completely turned off, and have the alarm still work. It's also something you most likely already have, so you won't have to buy yet another completely useless thing, and thus you'll be "saving the planet" a bit more.

Deleted
    I use this one, if you wish you can literally set it so loud you can hear at the neighbors. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I just use my phone. I usually don't care about the time of the night when I sleep. And my phone is on the other side of the room anyway. With a chair strategically placed between me and the phone.

Best, and so far only, way for me to reliably wake myself up is to have a super annoying sound and forcing me to stand up, switch on the room light and walk over to the phone. You wouldn't believe at how good I am at switching a radio clock off in my sleep. It's unreal.
    I can stand up turn on the light, find my alarm and turn it off, turn the light back off and fall back asleep and I don't even know I did it when I wake up...I am an extremely deep sleeper. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I can stand up turn on the light, find my alarm and turn it off, turn the light back off and fall back asleep and I don't even know I did it when I wake up...I am an extremely deep sleeper. D:
    Now, in my head you're falling asleep again without going to bed. Please tell me that happens, it'd be the most epic thing I read today.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I use my phone, and this website:
    http://onlineclock.net/

On my phone I set up multiple alarms I can enable. They are timed for roughly 10-15 minutes apart, so that I can turn on many of them to go off at various times over a 2hr period in which I want to wake up. Depending on how important it is that I wake up for the first alarm, I put my phone across the room so I have to get up to turn it off.

I use the website as a backup, in case I turn off all the alarms on my phone and go back to sleep. I open it in multiple tabs, and set each tab to times about 15 minutes apart. The earliest is a time that is about a half hour after my phone is set to first go off.

The two together are pretty effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Joi View Post
    I use my phone, and this website:
    http://onlineclock.net/

On my phone I set up multiple alarms I can enable. They are timed for roughly 10-15 minutes apart, so that I can turn on many of them to go off at various times over a 2hr period in which I want to wake up. Depending on how important it is that I wake up for the first alarm, I put my phone across the room so I have to get up to turn it off.

I use the website as a backup, in case I turn off all the alarms on my phone and go back to sleep. I open it in multiple tabs, and set each tab to times about 15 minutes apart. The earliest is a time that is about a half hour after my phone is set to first go off.

The two together are pretty effective.
    Wow, thanks for posting that site. I'm going to use that... the fireplace background is simply amazing. Reminds me of summers in Finnland.

This is what I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

It has a blue background BUT not if the back light is turned off which I keep mine turned off because it only has two settings, bright and OMG Angels are descending.

But despite that I love it because it projects the time in red on the ceiling or walls, your choosing.

I picked this clock because I can program it M-F which means I never have to turn it off on the weekends. it has a snooze button, but to turn the alarm off you have to hit the button next to it 3 times.

There are apps that make you solve math problems or other puzzles before you can shut off the alarm.

I suggested above having my bluetooth speaker running. It's louder than my phone.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Any regular alarm.
    Hang it by a thread.

Well, thanks to many of you. I guess this is a reasonably hard question after all!

I gave four conditions, of which a phone fails (1) and (2). I of course set my phone alarm as well, but it's not also a clock- it is not what I'm asking about. It also doesn't work if I forget to set my alarm, or fall asleep away from my phone, or whatever.

Any regular alarm.
    Hang it by a thread.
    While amusing, I don't need a giant setup here, or some freaky thing. My problem isn't an inability to wake up, it's that I want a simple solution that isn't strange looking or distracting.

I'll look into the sonic bomb- it's red, and it looks cat proof. I assume it has a setting that won't wake the dead.

Deleted
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swan-Retro...MAAOSwbdpWVfuq

Get a teasmade, prep it before bed and it wakes you with a steaming hot brew!

I don't have a specific model to show you, but there are those clocks that just project the time on the wall.
    You could set it up pretty much anywhere that your cat wouldn't have access to.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have a timer wired to a car battery that sends electrical current through my nipples. Though I don't actually use it to wake me up.

I found that one googling, but it doesn't really exist. Plus an alarm clock that commits a misdemeanor on my behalf if I fail to wake up isn't really what I'm seeking.

I'm not looking for an alarm clock because I can't wake up. I want an alarm clock that has features and is a real clock, but isn't blue (and ideally isn't green).

The teasmade idea is rather interesting. Is there a glow or something on the clock face, that isn't blue (and ideally is also not green)? Like, can I read the clock at night?