10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

New PC build any suggestions ...

Hello all,
    I am building a new build for myself it's been 6 years since my current machine went into service and I would like to build a new one.
    This PC will be my main life hub. I do mostly everything from it when not at work. I game WoW, BF3 and 4, FFXIV and a few others. I watch a lot of anime, I also read a lot. I don't need a huge monitor but would like something larger the 34" ultrawide monitors have caught my eye. As far as the PC build goes I am looking for any input here but some is already purchased. If you can think of a reason to change something that is listed please explain it to me.

Budget: for the tower itself $1500
    Resolution: hard to say I guess 1440 or 4k
    Games / Settings Desired: high
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): negative
    Parts that can be reused: Optical Drive
    Do you need an OS?Included in my list
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? I need a monitor but not under this budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($318.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Inwin 805 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1395.29
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-04 11:23 EST-0500

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with a 390 and a dark rock pro 3 instead. AMD is just better at anything higher than the GTX950 and below the 980Ti, and they have better dx12 support than Nvidia.

About the monitors, the 34" Ultrawides are cool. This one in particular is pretty good.

Deleted
    In addition to what Artorius said i would pump that gpu up really. A gtx970 won't cut it much @1440p, even less at 4k. Personally i stay away from msi mobo's since Z87 or so cause of their bad QC. I don't know if they improved it with Skylake but i don't bother since the alternatives at each price point are better. +1 for Dark Rock (pro) 3 cpu cooler over H75. Lastly that case. Aesthetics are subjective but...its one thing wanting a case with window and another having both sides fully windowed. Ok you don't mind or like to see the hard drive bays but the right side where all the damn cabling is will look...not so cool...On top of that the price doesn't justify it imo when you should pump money towards the gpu i mentioned. You can also get a little better psu in that budget.

I got a gtx980ti below but if you thing you don't want to spend as much then i would look at R9 390X.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1543.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-04 13:09 EST-0500

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't like the minimalistic look of Fractal design R5 (amazing case) you can look at Phanteks Enthoo Pro and Enthoo Pro M, NZXT H440 and NZXT Noctis 450.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already bought the 970 during a Flash Sale for $275. Any real reason for the Be Quiet! CPU cooler over the Corsair one? As for the monitor that was one of the ones I was looking at I was also eyeing the Acer Predator

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    In addition to what Artorius said i would pump that gpu up really. A gtx970 won't cut it much @1440p, even less at 4k. Personally i stay away from msi mobo's since Z87 or so cause of their bad QC. I don't know if they improved it with Skylake but i don't bother since the alternatives at each price point are better. +1 for Dark Rock (pro) 3 cpu cooler over H75. Lastly that case. Aesthetics are subjective but...its one thing wanting a case with window and another having both sides fully windowed. Ok you don't mind or like to see the hard drive bays but the right side where all the damn cabling is will look...not so cool...On top of that the price doesn't justify it imo when you should pump money towards the gpu i mentioned. You can also get a little better psu in that budget.
    OK,no offense but I think I feel about Gigabyte the same as you do MSI. Everything Gigabyte I have ever used was either faulty or went bad way too soon. I mean I am taking a leap of faith on MSI here as I have never used them but the ASUS boards are overpriced it seems right now and this MSI board is very well rated.

Again, I have to ask why the be quiet is preferred over the Corsair? I am generally curious here as I originally had the DR 3 on my list.

In regards to the case, yes I wanted something that looks good I already bought the IN WIN when it was sale. It has a space in between for cable feeding and the HDD slots are covered as well.

I agree on the VGA and unfortunately for me I bought the 970 5 months ago to replace a failing 5870 for my old rig. I will eventually upgrade it but right now I can't scrap a 5 month old gpu.

The power supply you listed how is it better than the EVGA? Again asking seriously I don't know much about PSU's all I know is the EVGA is one of the top rated and has a 10 year warranty, gold rated, and is fully modular.

Thanks for the input so far I truly appreciate it.

* EDIT* Trying to sell my 970 on Amazon fortunately for me the price has increased where I can sell it used for the same thing as I paid for it.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2015-12-04 at 06:55 PM.

Deleted
    To give you an idea it performs similarly to corsair h110 or noctua-D14 till say an 4.3-4.5overclock. While doing that its damn quiet. If you hear any corsair aio at full load you will want to leave your room (i got the h100i). To get the corsair's noise down you need 20-25$ for each be quiet! or Noctua fan, then do a custom rppm curve and it will still not match the dark rock 3. Too bad you got the 970 so fast, it will probably be fine at 1440p playing wow but going for more gpu intensive AAA games it will struggle, nvm 4k.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw your update. About the mobo's, there are a lot of ppl that will tell you the same to back up what i said. You can get a doa motherboard from any manufacturer. It happens and might be you the unlucky person. But when it happens more with one company than the rest then its not personal opinion anymore. About the evga psu, yes 10warranty is awesome and its really a good psu, but seasonic is king, you going for a top end rig and at that price you grab it eyes closed. Again compared to supernova nex one, the supernova G2 for example is another thing.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-12-04 at 06:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    To give you an idea it performs similarly to corsair h110 or noctua-D14 till say an 4.3-4.5overclock. While doing that its damn quiet. If you hear any corsair aio at full load you will want to leave your room (i got the h100i). To get the corsair's noise down you need 20-25$ for each be quiet! or Noctua fan, then do a custom rppm curve and it will still not match the dark rock 3. Too bad you got the 970 so fast, it will probably be fine at 1440p playing wow but going for more gpu intensive AAA games it will struggle, nvm 4k.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw your update. About the mobo's, there are a lot of ppl that will tell you the same to back up what i said. You can get a doa motherboard from any manufacturer. It happens and might be you the unlucky person. But when it happens more with one company than the rest then its not personal opinion anymore. About the evga psu, yes 10warranty is awesome and its really a good psu, but seasonic is king, you going for a top end rig and at that price you grab it eyes closed. Again compared to supernova nex one, the supernova G2 for example is another thing.
    OK, since I have a Noctua in the old one I can fully appreciate a quiet set of fans. SO BQ is in hoping I can sell off the 970 that way I can upgrade GPU to either a 580 or a 580TI. power supply Question whats the difference between G1, G2, GS, and the GQ? I mean to mean they all have the same stats?

I got the MSI Z170A-gaming 5 motherboard and its working pretty good, had to get the bios updated to get my RAM to function properly but it's rock solid so far even with a (minor) overclock on CPU and RAM.

10+ Year Old Account
    UPDATE: Sold the 970 so I am open to a different GPU from what I read the AMD's run hot I am going with a 980 TI