Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    If these PSA and posters aren't aimed at you why are people acting like they are?

I mean, if you already know right from wrong and when to act on it so thoroughly...
    I think it is moreso Men getting sick and tired of this Bullshit that paints ALL Men as bad guys. Instead of the Truth which is Women and Men have the same amount of fucked up people within their genders, yet they are a incredibly small minority.

PSA's against violence/assault should not be aimed at one specific group.

I find it ironic the same leftist retards that will scream "DON'T BLAME MUSLIMS FOR TERRORISTS, NOT ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS RAH RAH RAH" are also the same that will turn around and make a PSA that Men and only Men are sexual predators.

The hypocrisy, double standards and flat out fucking lunacy from these daft cunts is staggering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Young males ignore it because the great majority of them don't need to be told.

If these PSA and posters aren't aimed at you why are people acting like they are?

I mean, if you already know right from wrong and when to act on it so thoroughly...
    Because portraying a biological demographic as a transgressing collective is incredibly prejudiced. It's a shame that so many "progressives" forget or excuse this, when the discrimination is levied against male, white, or straight people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Similar situation is happening in our university. Every month or so our security director (or whatever her position is called) sends out e-mails to all students in which she lists all the episodes of sexual harassment that were reported on campus in the meantime (typically 2-3 cases a month), adds the definition of "sexual harassment", adds information on what to do to prevent sexual harassment, and how we should be responsible for our actions. While I understand her intentions, it rubs me the wrong way that she sends that out to everyone, as if she was suspecting everyone in potential harassment. I have an utmost respect to all human beings, I would never ever do anything that could be in any way interpreted as sexual harassment, I'd rather die - so why does she keep sending me this information? I am not a fool, I know what sexual harassment is, I don't need to be reminded of that every month!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Yo, who actually reads a poster or whatever that says 'dont do what ur doin cuz it's wrong' and believes it?

People who sexually harass others - male or female - don't give a shit what a poster says, or a PSA, or a campus email. If they did, they'd understand that no means no. If they did, they'd have the basic decency to realise that they're creeping on someone.

So why are crusty molesters ignoring PSAs? Because they're fucking PSAs, not death threats.

Deleted
    What's the point of this thread?

A minority of men commit crimes therefore a majority must be hen pecked? I'm all for sexual assault awareness but unfortunately a number only focus on women and imo that's disgusting

- - - Updated - - -

What's the point of this thread?

A minority of men commit crimes therefore a majority must be hen pecked? I'm all for sexual assault awareness but unfortunately a number only focus on women and imo that's disgusting

Deleted
    If you consider that what turns actual rapists / abusers on is the non-consent / forbidden / vilified nature of their actions

Aren't these PSAs just:

a) hateful sexist sermons that don't apply to the (vast majority of) men who aren't rapists and who just find them insulting and annoying

b) actual advertisements that encourage and titillate the actual rapists / abusers, like little plays giving them a taste of how bad their activities make other people feel

It's sort of like showing violent murders to serial killers, or showing torture scenes to sadist torturers -- and saying "look how much this hurts these victims!"

It's just going to give vicarious thrills.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-12-05 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    Because portraying a biological demographic as a transgressing collective is incredibly prejudiced. It's a shame that so many "progressives" forget or excuse this, when the discrimination is levied against male, white, or straight people.
    Absolutely, but is that *actually* what this PSA is doing?

I guess its my naivety or w/e but I didn't watch that 30 second clip and immediately feel like my gender was being portrayed as a transgressing collective. Is the only way to portray behaviour to use amorphous cartoon blobs for risk of someone claiming claiming the actor is more important than the message? (I might not have watched the latest one, but the "It's Never Okay" PSA videos seem to use gender neutral terms like "victim" instead of "her", "makes it easier for me to grope you"...)

Didn't Ontario police get into some embarassment over the comments of one if its officers a few years back along the lines of "If she didn't want to get assaulted she shouldn't have dressed so provocatively". I'm not surprised they are taking pains to change their image.

I get that some advertisements have been very poorly thought out in the past; but is this really one of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, it's been over two weeks already? Time sure flies...

I get that some advertisements have been very poorly thought out in the past; but is this really one of them?
    This is a good point. I take less issue with the advertisement itself, than the surrounding concepts. Tennisauce's comments in particular, come to mind. But so do the "1 in 3" claim and some wrongthink issues. Specifically with respect to defining callous behavior as violent, or not engaging in certain discussion that is deemed to "keep sexism and sexual violence alive." It also doesn't help that I've personally seen other targeted campaigns via #DontBeThatGuy. I think I agree that the advertisement itself is relatively benign. I guess I just find myself very at odds with the whole "It's men who are the problem," argument that seems to hover around it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Young males ignore it because the great majority of them don't need to be told.
    Data says otherwise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Data says otherwise.
    I want to see that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Data says otherwise.
    What data?
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    What data?
    He never said what Tennisace claims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    I want to see that data.
    The Data in the OP and other related news articles? Did you even read it.

Deleted
    Rate of fishnappings was up by 75% last year we need a national goldfishnapping awareness campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    That data in no way supports your claim. The VAST majority of males are not charged with sexual harassment a single time throughout their lives. Hence, Flutterguy is right: the great majority of males don't need to be told not to harass females. So what did you mean by "Data says otherwise"? Do you generalize the actions of minority to majority?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    That data in no way supports your claim. The VAST majority of males are not charged with sexual harassment a single time throughout their lives. Hence, Flutterguy is right: the great majority of males don't need to be told not to harass females. So what did you mean by "Data says otherwise"? Do you generalize the actions of minority to majority?
    Other groups understand what sexual harassment is much better than young males. That is a big problem is it not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Other groups understand what sexual harassment is much better than young males. That is a big problem is it not?
    It is. But we don't live in a vacuum. Young men and women are told about social harassment by many different instances: their parents, their peers, their teachers, all those TV programs. I don't see what good an extra PSA can do, other than make the vast majority of young men that have no intention of sexually harass anyone feel bad about themselves.

What I really dislike about that PSA though is that it is aimed at "young men", not at "young people". Why men? Yes, men harass women more often than women harass men. It doesn't mean that we should view these cases separately. Just like crime rate being higher among black people than white doesn't mean we should release PSAs telling black people not to commit crimes: it would be plain racism. And this PSA is plain "genderism". I don't like it when actions of the minority lead to discrimination of majority. And it surprises me that Canadian government doesn't understand it.

---

See, I am the first person that will defend women rights to my last breath, if I have to. I really dislike all kinds of discrimination, and, let's face it, there are many aspects in which women are discriminated. What I dislike even more though is when fighting this discrimination turns out into the opposite discrimination. You don't fight racism against black people by calling all white people racists. You fight it by talking about equality, by saying that skin color doesn't matter. You fight for gender equality by claiming that genders are equal, not that men are potential criminals.