Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I dunno, I'm not really all that educated on Sikhism but I know what a Sikh turban looks like compared to the ones familiar in the middle east.
    Well, I tend to avoid anyone that looks religious. Not because I think they're terrorists, but because I don't want to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    But even if you don't, automatically assuming someone's a terrorist just by their looks is idiocy in and of itself.
    Of course it is.

I have had Muslims come up to me because I am a White male American and scream anti American, Anti Christian, anti-Semitic epithets at me. I lived in Northern Virginia, the Muslim population there is actually very intolerant of non Muslims and very aggressive.
    NEws flash, Human being have been intolerant of other human beings for a wide range of reasons since the dawn of our species. Its called human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Off topic but that wasn't the discussion. It was whether you can tell if someone is above 18 years, I and a few others said we could as its pretty simple. Others can't stop staring at tits for 2 minutes to see that it's a child and then making up bullshit stories on how its an epidemic of underage girls "tricking" men into thinking they're older.
    That's not really it, he was saying how he could tell exactly how old someone was and everyone else should too, thus if you find a slightly underage girl attractive at a glance you are a pedophile. Others were arguing that doesn't make you a pedophile, especially since many young girls look 18, and girls in their 20s look 14. Nobody advocated approaching underage girls.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Yeah, because you can tell the difference between a Muslim and an atheist by a glance.
    No, but people seem to completely equate Middle East with the Muslim religion when an intellectual person would know that Muslim is not a race.

My own friend that I spent high school and some college with is Lebanese (born there and came to the U.S. as a child) and the entire family is Catholic. That doesn't seem to make sense for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    same reason people can't distinguish between someone in the US registered a dem or repub and the wack job loonies on the extreme extreme left or right. Say you lean more conservative people think you are a bible-hugging, gun toting lunatic who wants to kill all gays and immigrants while cackling about making the poor work themselves to death while sitting on the piles of money big oil gave you. say you have liberal leanings and people think you are an aethist who wants to tax the rich out of existence while passing out free drugs and taking everyone's weapons while you perform abortions for immigrants while in a PC safe-zone
    God bless this post!

Quote Originally Posted by MCC1701 View Post
    God bless this post!
    It completely missed the point of the OP though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    same reason people can't distinguish between someone in the US registered a dem or repub and the wack job loonies on the extreme extreme left or right. Say you lean more conservative people think you are a bible-hugging, gun toting lunatic who wants to kill all gays and immigrants while cackling about making the poor work themselves to death while sitting on the piles of money big oil gave you. say you have liberal leanings and people think you are an aethist who wants to tax the rich out of existence while passing out free drugs and taking everyone's weapons while you perform abortions for immigrants while in a PC safe-zone

this guy gets it.....

LIFE IS NOT WHITE AND BLACK

it's shades of gray.

however, almost all stereotypes usually do HAVE SOME TRUTH TO THEM. (the problem is stupid people see these as ABSOLUTES)

like people who dress like thugs tend to be thugs (you know gang's with there pants down talking tough with gold chains)
    Most Christians in the US are white
    Most Muslims are a specific color of brown from the middle east
    a guy regardless of color dressed very fancy/colorful/feminine is most likely gay
    hell even sounding feminine (hearing a guy talk like a girl is my best example)

i can go on with stuff related to video games and what not.

BUT AGAIN these are not absolute.
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2015-12-04 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imatapir View Post
    It completely missed the point of the OP though.
    Maybe, but I still think it is a very good point. If I say I am Republican, conservative, against big government, etc I automatically get lumped into the stereotype he mentioned, even though I agree more with "the moderate left" than with the far right. Likewise I know lots of people on the moderate left who are sick of being lumped in with the "progressive" crowd. It is just as dumb and pointless as racism and sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    No, but people seem to completely equate Middle East with the Muslim religion when an intellectual person would know that Muslim is not a race.

My own friend that I spent high school and some college with is Lebanese (born there and came to the U.S. as a child) and the entire family is Catholic. That doesn't seem to make sense for some people.
    You can tell the difference between someone born in Pakistan and someone born in Ireland. You can't tell the difference between people of religion until they either open their mouth or they show you their holy book. How many Pakistanis are religious? How many of those religious Pakistanis are Muslim? The chance you'd run into an atheist Pakistani is about as lucky as winning the lotto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

And most organized religions are their own worst enemies. Especially Islam and Christianity. Both religions are fairly intolerant. Islams biggest issue though is not being vocal enough to distinguish the difference between moderates and the Extremists. Many Muslims deny that Islam has problems, and they ignore the religions teatment of Gays, women as chattel and children sex slaves and the human trafficking.
    Christianity has similar problems with the cover ups of Pedophile priests and treatment of gays, although such treatment is more one of intolerance not actual beheading and murder of them. NOt many Christians have conducted Honor killings in recent history.

Then you have the Muslim Genocide of Bangladesh still fresh in some peoples memory from 1971 when a estimated 3 million were slaughtered and upto 400,000 women brutally raped. Islam has a long long way to go and a lot of work to do before every actually accepts the claims that Islam is a religion of peace.

Because Trump hasn't made Muslims carry their ID cards yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    And most organized religions are their own worst enemies. Especially Islam and Christianity. Both religions are fairly intolerant. Islams biggest issue though is not being vocal enough to distinguish the difference between moderates and the Extremists. Many Muslims deny that Islam has problems, and they ignore the religions teatment of Gays, women as chattel and children sex slaves and the human trafficking.
    Christianity has similar problems with the cover ups of Pedophile priests and treatment of gays, although such treatment is more one of intolerance not actual beheading and murder of them. NOt many Christians have conducted Honor killings in recent history.

Then you have the Muslim Genocide of Bangladesh still fresh in some peoples memory from 1971 when a estimated 3 million were slaughtered and upto 400,000 women brutally raped. Islam has a long long way to go and a lot of work to do before every actually accepts the claims that Islam is a religion of peace.
    be careful, Obama would call you a Islamophobe for saying they are not a religion of peace!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    Because Trump hasn't made Muslims carry their ID cards yet
    you do realize he said only on the immigrants/refugees, not the ones already living/born here. So technically non of these people would be citizens anyways , and look at France, it was Muslim *refugees* that did that mass shooting. then we got California where it sounds like it was a foreign muslim woman who radicalized her husband who was native born.

i am more worried about muslims from the middle east then the ones living here personally from what i read.
    *as that seems to be were most of the problems come from*

AGAIN not a absolute, but i like to think i am pragmatic.. ...
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2015-12-04 at 10:52 PM.

So, in addition to the point that bigots will be bigoted, I think there's some unfortunate irony to be noted. Part of the reason many people don't differentiate, is because part of the rhetoric fighting against "Islamophobia," involves decrying criticism of Islam as racist. Consequently, a common notion is that muslim signifies a race, rather than a religious conviction.

renouncing a citizenship and obtaining another one doesnt magically not make you less brown.

you missed the old guy's point.... he was telling you to gtfo regardless of what you are... he obviously doesnt care

dont be pissed off at the nice white folks, be pissed off at those that look like you that like to kill for kicks and giggles

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    renouncing a citizenship and obtaining another one doesnt magically not make you less brown.

you missed the old guy's point.... he was telling you to gtfo regardless of what you are... he obviously doesnt care

dont be pissed off at the nice white folks, be pissed off at those that look like you that like to kill for kicks and giggles
    saddly this is true also, the people KILLING are the ones creating the stereotype....

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    saddly this is true also, the people KILLING are the ones creating the stereotype....
    Yeah... but no.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    So, in addition to the point that bigots will be bigoted, I think there's some unfortunate irony to be noted. Part of the reason many people don't differentiate, is because part of the rhetoric fighting against "Islamophobia," involves decrying criticism of Islam as racist. Consequently, a common notion is that muslim signifies a race, rather than a religious conviction.
    Stop that. Making sense is prohibited.

10+ Year Old Account
    /popcorn

anyone else want?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    /popcorn

anyone else want?
    yes i do genngreymane!

also when do i get to play you as a hero in HotS?

What is there to differentiate between a Muslim and a non-Muslim when it comes to bigotry? Is it justified if you were a Muslim?