1x8 gb ddr3 vs 2x4 gb ddr3

Howdy.
    So I'm looking to upgrade my laptop's ram, which is almost always hovering near 90+% with chrome + wow open. 4gb won't do on a 64bit windows, I want to multitask but can't. I like having n tabs open on chrome and not having to worry about ram being near full on my desktop, even while gaming, but on my laptop I have to either close tabs or chrome in order to play wow.

So I'm going to buy some ram, but which version: 1 x 8 gb ddr3 vs 2x4 gb ddr3. I currently have 2x2 gb ddr3.

1x8 makes me lose the dual channel, I can't upgrade further due to cpu only managing 8gb top of ram (1st gen i5/i7). Pros, lower power consumption (though I believe very little).

2x4 occupies all the ram slots, enables dual channel, consumes more power.
    The price difference is 3 euros (1x8gb being cheaper).
    Is dual channel noticeable at all? I can't recall ever having a system with single channel only, so don't really know if it makes any difference either in gaming (i doubt it) or in the snappyness of windows (doubt it, I have a ssd on ths laptop).

Dual channel doesn't make much of a difference at all. It really does not matter. There will be no noticeable difference between the 2.

Go with the two stick option. That way if one stick goes bad, you can still use the pc until a replacement arrives.

Power consumption won't really make a difference unless you're gaming not plugged in, might as well get the 2x4 if 8GB is the max your laptop can handle anyway, just to enable dual channel for the *maybe* slight boost.

And...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Go with the two stick option. That way if one stick goes bad, you can still use the pc until a replacement arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Power consumption won't really make a difference unless you're gaming not plugged in, might as well get the 2x4 if 8GB is the max your laptop can handle anyway, just to enable dual channel for the *maybe* slight boost.

And...
    I can use my laptop just fine if the 1x8gb doesnt work, since I'll be keeping my 2x2gb.

Now that you guys talked about a stick going bad, if I choose the 2x4gb, if 1 of those goes bad I can still have 6gb of ram, using 1 of the 2gb I'm retiring...
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2015-12-05 at 04:52 PM.

2 sticks because most motherboards are made to run ram in pairs...

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    2 sticks because most motherboards are made to run ram in pairs...
    been covered in detail already how Dual-channel really doesn't add any performance.

Also, check around on the internet and find out if 8GB is really all that it can handle.

Apple, for instance, on a lot of their MBPs, say they will only take 16GB (or 8GB, or whatever) but people have found that theyll support 32GB (2x16) as far back as some 2010 models.

What is "officially supported" and what will work are different, and at this point the warranty likely isnt an issue.

If it will do 16GB (2x8) you could do 1x8 for now and add later. or grab 1x8 and leave a 2GB in there and have 10 now, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    been covered in detail already how Dual-channel really doesn't add any performance.

Also, check around on the internet and find out if 8GB is really all that it can handle.

Apple, for instance, on a lot of their MBPs, say they will only take 16GB (or 8GB, or whatever) but people have found that theyll support 32GB (2x16) as far back as some 2010 models.

What is "officially supported" and what will work are different, and at this point the warranty likely isnt an issue.

If it will do 16GB (2x8) you could do 1x8 for now and add later. or grab 1x8 and leave a 2GB in there and have 10 now, whatever.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/43560/...Cache-2_66-GHz

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8 GB
    Memory Types DDR3 800/1066

max is 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get 1x8 or 2x4, whichever is cheaper, and ditch/sell the old ram.

Removes all compatibility concerns, and honestly the chances of ram failing is nil. Ram just.... doesn't fail, these days. Its the last thing to go in a system. Its either DOA or lasts forever.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

So a small update on this:

Looks like my cpu is only compatible with ram running at 1066mhz tops. I could get the 2x4gb 1033mhz for about 7-8 euros more than the single 8gb, but the issue is where I'm going to buy they don't have 8gb 1066mhz, only 1333mhz or 1600mhz. Would the ram downclock to 1033mhz or it would not work at all? I prefer cheaper over dual channel, but won't pay for something that won't work.

Deleted
    Most of the times it will just downclock automatically, but really have seen many strange things happen that i wouldn't hold on to that 100%. Noone can guarantee you that ><

And so another update:
    bought the 1x8gb ddr3 1333mhz.
    Inserted, bios said it had 8b running at 1066mhz(great), bsod while booting into windows (not great).
    Hp mem test doesnt work, it freezes right at the start of the test.
    Remembering my cpu max ram is 8gb 1066mhz, I inserted another ram, 1 of the 2gb I removed, so i had 10gb.
    I have in my laptop in another partition fedora, went to boot... and it worked. Booted into fedora with 10 gb of ram.
    With 10 gb of ram as soon as the windows logo shows up it gives me a black screen and reboots, with the single 8gb it starts to boot and then bsod.
    tomorrow I'll go to the store and try the 2x4gb.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    And so another update:
    bought the 1x8gb ddr3 1333mhz.
    Inserted, bios said it had 8b running at 1066mhz(great), bsod while booting into windows (not great).
    Hp mem test doesnt work, it freezes right at the start of the test.
    Remembering my cpu max ram is 8gb 1066mhz, I inserted another ram, 1 of the 2gb I removed, so i had 10gb.
    I have in my laptop in another partition fedora, went to boot... and it worked. Booted into fedora with 10 gb of ram.
    With 10 gb of ram as soon as the windows logo shows up it gives me a black screen and reboots, with the single 8gb it starts to boot and then bsod.
    tomorrow I'll go to the store and try the 2x4gb.
    What laptop (Brand AND model) have you got?
    What I've learned over the years is that you generally don't screw with laptop ram as it's far more finicky than any desktop in what it accepts.
    BIOS limitations suck ass.

This of course applies to basic OEMs where CLEVO has far more options with it.

Deleted
    2x4 is better than 1x8 because of how it will handle multiple tasks much more efficiently.

But as has been said, laptop ram is quite finnicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    What laptop (Brand AND model) have you got?
    What I've learned over the years is that you generally don't screw with laptop ram as it's far more finicky than any desktop in what it accepts.
    BIOS limitations suck ass.

This of course applies to basic OEMs where CLEVO has far more options with it.
    hp pavilion dv6 3030sp.
    Has an 1st gen i5, i5 430m. http://ark.intel.com/products/43560/...Cache-2_66-GHz
    Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8 GB
    Memory Types DDR3 800/1066
    Being finicky with 8gb and not booting into windows, but doesnt mind 8+2gb and booting into fedora. Go figure.
    In the bios, the memory test passed, in the hp program it freezes.
    Being on slot 1 or slot 2 makes no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    2x4 is better than 1x8 because of how it will handle multiple tasks much more efficiently.

You didn't read the whole topic did you? You will not notice the difference in having dual channel or single channel. And like I said, I don't care about that, I just want more ram, and the cheaper option as well (being the single 8gb). Though I'll have to pay extra for the 2x4gb.

- - - Updated - - -

Christ, I though someone had deleted my thread.
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2015-12-11 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/13...channel/Page-3

Dual channel is not noticeable in games. May be noticeable in simulations and Adobe-like apps.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2015-12-12 at 07:28 PM.

Apparently I'm not the only one having the same issue, upgrading from 4gb to 8gb on a laptop. The internet is full of ppl having bsod either on boot or x minutes/hours after.
    Hoping later today the 2x4gb works, getting tired of this.

And yet another update:
    went bacck to the store, told them about the 8gb not working. They tested 2x4gb 1333mhz, black screen while booting and it rebooted. 2xx4gb 1066mhz, worked 100%.
    So I had to spend extra to have 8gb on my laptop, but at least it's done. Guess my laptop is picky on the ram it consumes.