Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There was no reason why Superman wouldn't be able to do that though. Thor's hammer, while having magical properties, does not necessarily mean striking the hammer against an object is a magical result.

If every blow of Mjolnir somehow imparted divine energy on impact- Superman is in some trouble. However, Mjolnir only imparts it's magic upon the wielder. Blows with the hammer are not imparting magical energy necessarily.

Also Superman is crazily powerful. Few characters are on his level historically- no matter how much one may like Hulk, Thor or The Plutonian.

Superman used to shoot mini-Supeman (each as powerful as he) from his fingertips. Superman punched reality and cracked it open.

Superman v. Thor is not the fair fight people think it is.
    it doesn't matter.it was a blow from Thor not some weakling like Iron-Man or Captain America.if it was a regular blow then I would understand but this was a full blow(I think that there was also lighting on Mjolnir,not sure).Doom once said that every blow Thor makes that the blow contains magic.also,Mjolnir's power is Thor's power because he channels his power through the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by JainaProudmoore View Post
    it doesn't matter.
    It does matter. Superman has no particular weakness or defense to magic. He is still super tough, strong, etc. Superman can be hurt by anything, practically, it just takes a lot to hurt him. Emphasis on a lot.

Hitting Superman full on with a magical thing, no matter how strong, is still just hitting Superman with a thing.

The simple explanation is that Superman is that much more powerful than Thor. So much so that Thor's "best blow" is still not enough to trouble Superman.

Also Doom's testimony is unreliable and circumspect. The interpretation is pretty open.

Lightning as in just physical lightning has nothing special on Superman- no matter it's source or conjuring (so to speak). Magical lightning may harm Superman because he has no special defense for it- he's just really, really tough. "I can fly into a black hole and/or exploding star" tough. Think about that for a moment.

It does matter. Superman has no particular weakness or defense to magic. He is still super tough, strong, etc. Superman can be hurt by anything, practically, it just takes a lot to hurt him. Emphasis on a lot.

Hitting Superman full on with a magical thing, no matter how strong, is still just hitting Superman with a thing.

The simple explanation is that Superman is that much more powerful than Thor. So much so that Thor's "best blow" is still not enough to trouble Superman.

Also Doom's testimony is unreliable and circumspect. The interpretation is pretty open.

Lightning as in just physical lightning has nothing special on Superman- no matter it's source or conjuring (so to speak). Magical lightning may harm Superman because he has no special defense for it- he's just really, really tough. "I can fly into a black hole and/or exploding star" tough. Think about that for a moment.
    it entirely depends on which version of Superman you mean.Superman and Wonder Woman are basically equal when fighting but Superman is a little bit stronger.Thor>>>>>>>>>>>>Wonder Woman.so yeah,it depends on which version of Superman you mean.

also,magic matters in this fight.for example,if Hulk punches Superman it will hurt him.if Thor punches Superman it will hurt him more.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2015-12-07 at 03:27 AM.

Lady Thor vs flared out Superman? Thor wins.
    Invincible Iron Man vs Bunny Suit Batman? Iron Man wins.

Quote Originally Posted by morreant View Post
    Lady Thor vs flared out Superman? Thor wins.
    Invincible Iron Man vs Bunny Suit Batman? Iron Man wins.
    Are you sure? Bugs is a master of disguise, has a limited form of mind control(suggestion), Super Strength, Super Speed, Invulnerability, Regeneration, Flight, Teleportation, Spatial Manipulation, and Time Manipulation.

Everything I've seen on VS forums seems to indicate that strength is not the issue when it comes to Thor vs Supes. It's speed, or rather movement speed. From what I've gathered Thor's strength and reflexes are good enough to react to whatever Supes can throw at him but his actual movement speed compared to Supes leaves a lot to be desired. So, this would kinda leave Thor on the defensive in my opinion. He wouldn't be able really go after Supes, only react and eventually be beaten down.

For the record, I can't stand Superman but he'd still likely beat the snot out of Thor. Just the truth.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    it entirely depends on which version of Superman you mean.
    We were talking specifically about the incarnations of Thor and Superman in JLA/Avengers. In which officially, Thor is not on Superman's level.

Accounting for Thor at his most powerful and Superman at his, Superman is a literal reality shattering entity. Thor at his most powerful has never displayed such ability.

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    Everything I've seen on VS forums seems to indicate that strength is not the issue when it comes to Thor vs Supes. It's speed, or rather movement speed.
    Toughness also accounts. There is no indication that Thor generates forces the equal of black holes and stars- which Superman can withstand.

Thor's speed is not on Superman's level either. All indications of such are wrong and do not match any depiction of Thor as such. As Thor is out maneuvered by beings at the middle level of Marvel's official speed rankings.

Superman can keep pace with DC speedsters when not tapping into the Speed Force fully- a feat in the upper areas of Marvel's speed rankings according to Waid (iirc).

I do not care overly much for Superman either. It's just totally shocking how under-powered people think Superman is when they compared him to beings like Thor or Hulk.

Superman is a stupidly powerful. He is THE superhero for all-time- he was meant to be so.

A few different takes, were they to fight it would mean one side would have to be evil.

I feel supes and bats are far more... inhabited by their need to be good then ironman and thor. Were they "evil", and all restraint removed they would win for sure. I don't think thor holds much back being a trained warrior, while ironman gone bad is certainly interesting (im envisioning an ARMY of iron suites, or even better, ultron), I don't think that is any match for superman unleashed, or the shear scale evil batman could unleash.

That being said, we we are talking about a prolonged war, not just a battle arena deathwatch, the location would matter a great deal. The Marvel universe contains artificts that could stop supes and batman in their tracks if it were on marvels home turf. I'm not sure there are as many game changers in the DC universe.
    "Well shit, ya'll have fun now"

Superman is a stupidly powerful. He is THE superhero for all-time- he was meant to be so.
    No, he wasn't. He originally (Golden Age) was nowhere near the power levels he is at now, and right now he is nowhere near the power levels he was at in the silver age.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does matter. Superman has no particular weakness or defense to magic.
    I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in this... But I can't resist . you say Superman has no weakness to magic, but I present this, directly from the DC wiki:

Vulnerability to Magic: Superman's biomatrix is his most powerful asset, but the strength of this field is also its greatest weakness. Its permeability to certain wavelengths makes him vulnerable to certain radiations, particularly magical energies whose chaotic electromagnetic or extra dimensional signatures disrupt this force field. Superman's vulnerability to magic varies depending upon the special effects of the magic. No magic seems to be able to directly destroy him unless it comes from a semi-divine or divine source. He can be injured and worn down by magical entities. Magic can have powerful and unpredictable effects on Superman and his magical enemies have often proven to be the most dangerous.

Note the section I've bolded, then remember that Thor's power, coming as it does from Odin (a god), would be classes as Divine. As would the Odinforce (which Thor has been shown to use at times.)

I think Thor vs Superman is a pretty even match. If we start to include Battle Madness or Rune King Thor...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    No, he wasn't. He originally (Golden Age) was nowhere near the power levels he is at now, and right now he is nowhere near the power levels he was at in the silver age.
    Silver Age Superman is the quintessential Superman.

But S&S did create Supeerman to be super. It was just relative to the time period when leaping a tall building was a great feat to describe or out running a train. Superman would have leaped over the moon if S&S had created the hero in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in this... But I can't resist . you say Superman has no weakness to magic, but I present this, directly from the DC wiki:
    The bit quoted from the wiki is in-line with what I said; Superman has no particular defense against magic. Various energy fields effect Superman's biomatrix is dependent on the version of Superman and his relative powerlevel- so that is essentially a wash. I specifically said, particular weakness or defense. Because he doesn't. The magic can effect him in varying ways.

Magical energy can harm Superman (as I said earlier) but a thing that is mundane even if magically created does not explicitly harm Superman anymore than a thing itself.

If Zatana conjured a really big piano with magic and then flung it at Superman- the piano would just have the effect of being hit with a piano vs. Superman. Thor wielding lightning via magic isn't enough, Thor having tremendous strength via magic isn't enough. The Odinforce would be enough but you'd have to bank on the power wiping out Superman's incredible toughness as well.

Note Superman being blasted by Divine Lightning repeatedly from Black Adam and Shazam- which nearly killed Superman. But Superman; 1. delayed reacting 2. Could withstand the blasts for some time.

Superman was also able to withstand the might of Heaven and a spirit of the Abrahamic God. Super divine, pardon the pun.

Thor (616) is a literal God in Marvel- he can hear prayers, believers empower Odinson, et cetera. But that does not mean his "blows" are magical energy, per se. The best we have of this is a suggestion (I believe it was in The Oath?) of Mjolnir having a magical aura or presence.

Assuming the Odinforce is fully in Rune King Thor's command (Thor at his peak, iirc) and Superman at his absolute peak of power (Silver Age Earth-2/Prime)- the Odinforce would need to kill Superman outright before Superman shatters reality at the speed of light around Thor.

A very edge scenario.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-12-07 at 05:43 AM.

Superman solos all 3 and then bitch slaps the Hulk for fun. I don't think most people get how powerful Superman is. The combination of his strength and speed is simply too much for these heroes to take on. You could have 500 Thors and they wouldn't be any more successful at taking out Superman, simply because he's too fast to hit and he's strong enough to inflict damage on Thor.

Now, if Superman was slacking and not taking the fight seriously, taking hits that he doesn't need to and not striking to kill, then Thor has a small chance.

The only way Thor is touching Superman though is if Superman lets him. And I'd still bet on Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku. Kappa
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2015-12-07 at 08:12 AM.

Thor VS Superman is getting a lot of attention.

Seems like Superman is written to be "super", so even Kryptonite, magic, or being bludgeoned to death (i.e.: Doomsday), Superman will eventually overcome it.
    Thor is written to be "stronger than the strongest person" (Stan Lee - 2002), so even his overconfidence, "Warrior's Madness" or becoming unworthy of wielding Mjolnir, Thor will eventually overcome it...until Ragnarok.

Concerning which Superman or Thor are fighting? It's only fair to say that it's the current canon Superman and Thor.

Easy. Iron Man disintegrates batman, Thor crushes Iron Man, Superman destroys Thor.

None of the cases are a contest really.

Batman vs. Iron Man, tho.
    If it were a caged fight, then it would be safe to say that Iron Man would win 9 times out of 10, but the battleground is the entire planet earth! Resources galore, just no outside interference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Sebastian Shaw :P
    Shaw can overload can't he? If so Supes would OD him with one punch

Superman is badly written and I dislike him. This is a thought experiment in futility.

Deleted
    regardless you cant beat superman. no matter what he will overcome anything thrown at him. its the way he is written and way he is meant to be. doing any versus match with superman involved makes it pointless, he is that powerful the way he is written he anoth be beaten by anyone. the only way to beat superman truly is to be an artist for dc pick up a eraser and rub him out.

- - - Updated - - -

Relative to the Marvel universe; Thor, Hulk, Black Bolt, Legion, Onslaught, Jean Grey, Scarlet Witch, Maestro, Sentry, Hyperion are all Superman-like in power.

Beating Superman by punching him to death is missing the point. Superman's health bar is the world, so to speak.
    no one hero in marvel is truly flawless though. they can all be beaten and have been beaten in the marvel universe. pluss all those charecters you mention are virtualy embodied in 1 person in dc and that person is superman.
    excluding the TOAA and probably the living tribunal i can think of 1 person who takes superman (disregarding the likes of beyonder and other celestial juggernauts that are written to be god like). and thats Thanos with the infinity gauntlet. but thats not even a fight thanos just thinks about it and superman no longer exists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Shaw can overload can't he? If so Supes would OD him with one punch
    with a single punch shaw would probably explode if superman hit him not even with full force

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machinima Shawn View Post
    Thor VS Superman is getting a lot of attention.

Seems like Superman is written to be "super", so even Kryptonite, magic, or being bludgeoned to death (i.e.: Doomsday), Superman will eventually overcome it.
    Thor is written to be "stronger than the strongest person" (Stan Lee - 2002), so even his overconfidence, "Warrior's Madness" or becoming unworthy of wielding Mjolnir, Thor will eventually overcome it...until Ragnarok.

Concerning which Superman or Thor are fighting? It's only fair to say that it's the current canon Superman and Thor.
    still no match superman in any incarnation takes what ever Thor you can throw at him. its the way he is written. all he needs is a sun dip and its over. remove the sun from the factor. doesn't matter he can still fly that fast he would be there and back before Thor had chance to scratch his nuts and land a knock-out blow. superman is ridiculous. Any versus match were he involved is completely pointless.

7+ Year Old Account
    And nobody thinks that´s really really bad and crunchworthy writing?
    Oh hey look no matter what we throw at him he just can shatter reality and make it into nothing. Oh look he´s faces with literally death but hey it´s Supes it doesn´t affect him.
    At least Marvel heros have flaws.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinima Shawn View Post
    Batman vs. Iron Man, tho.
    If it were a caged fight, then it would be safe to say that Iron Man would win 9 times out of 10, but the battleground is the entire planet earth! Resources galore, just no outside interference.
    this is a much better match up. if it was a bar fight sort of scenario were they bump into each other and start fighting iron man incinerates bats.
    but you give batman time to prepare he can beat anyone pretty much.