4k Monitor do I need to upgrade hardware?

I just got a sweet deal on amazon for a 4k monitor for around 300 dollars. It is the Acer S277HK wmidpp 27-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) Widescreen Display. I am not sure if I should be upgrading my hardware in order to use it to a decent potential. I don't really play games that take extreme machines. I mainly play WoW and LoL and occasionally I'll play random games for small amounts of time but I'm not willing to purchase hardware to increase my performance on those games I'd rather focus on my computer being relevant to play WoW and League on 4k with close to 60fps.

I guess my first question is I know that the monitor has hdmi 2.0 but my graphics card doesn't I'm assuming both ends have to have hdmi 2.0 so I'd have to use displayport to get a 60fps/hz out of the monitor?

The second question I have is what should I upgrade in order of importance to be able to play WoW and League at at least 60fps/hz with 4k resolution. Here is the relevant portions of my rig:

CPU- i5 4670k 3.4 ghz
    GPU- Nvidia gtx 770
    ram- 8gb

Is there anything else that needs to be listed? Also I just realized that when I downloaded windows 10 I think the software I was using to overclock my cpu probably isn't doing anything anymore so I'll work on doing that again. I am not comfortable with the bios so I use software to do it I know its not going to squeeze everything out of it but at least it does something. Is there a guide I could look at to do better overclocking and would that help out a lot when compared to just using software?

Here is a link to the monitor that I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Deleted
    - You will need to use the display port yeah.

- Just try out those games and see if you feel the need to upgrade. If the performance is not good. I would look at the 390 < 390x < Fury < 980ti. But I highly doubt the 770 will have a lot of issues. And with the games you listed, you might also get away with a 380(x).

- What is your current PSU?

- I would never use software to OC a CPU. It is better to do that in the bios. Just google an OC-guide for your motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    - You will need to use the display port yeah.

- Just try out those games and see if you feel the need to upgrade. If the performance is not good. I would look at the 390 < 390x < Fury < 980ti. But I highly doubt the 770 will have a lot of issues. And with the games you listed, you might also get away with a 380(x).

- What is your current PSU?

- I would never use software to OC a CPU. It is better to do that in the bios. Just google an OC-guide for your motherboard.
    I have a rosewill 750w 80plus platinum psu not sure what the exact model is but those are the specs.

I'll look up a guide and do that today

edit: I've got it to around 4.2 ghz and stable and I'm not sure if I want to push it anymore because I don't really want to spend much more time on it.

Also you mention upgrading the GPU but not the CPU so that would be enough? I've heard wow/lol are cpu intensive games, but I don't know if the display has anything to do with that?
    Last edited by splosher; 2015-12-07 at 06:35 PM.

Deleted
    If it is working that is fine. Just be sure temps are good

CPU should be more then fine. Increase in resolution puts more strain on the GPU than CPU, I think. Just try it out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    . And with the games you listed, you might also get away with a 380(x).
    What makes you think R9 380(x) is better than gtx770? Cause its not unless vram is the problem, ie the 770 is 2gb and 380X is 4gb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    What makes you think R9 380(x) is better than gtx770? Cause its not unless vram is the problem, ie the 770 is 2gb and 380X is 4gb.
    Lets call that a brainfart. Don't really know why I put it there.
    I did just now had a quick look at TPU. Seems the 380(x) are both a tiny bit better than the 770. But it is not worth it.

Deleted
    Unless specifically stated i think they are around the same cause most of those benchmarks feature stock design. R9 380x has barely more clock on it from aftermarket manufacturers cause it just can't really go alot more when gtx770's is usually oced to death
    Anyway point is either go for at least R9 390X or wait for pascal cause R9 380x isn't worth it over what op curently has.

You will not have a good experience playing 4k games on a 770 GPU. But you could always try but I highly doubt you will be able to do it. Its not even remotely close to what an 780 for example would perform.

Gawdsent is completely correct. I have two 4GB 770s in SLI, and trying to run 4K, I don't get acceptable performance at decent settings in any modern game. I mean, it's not awful, but 60fps it ain't.

I did a bunch of research recently to decide how to fix this, and decided that right now there just aren't any cost-effective options for 4K gaming, unless you're willing to turn settings right down or accept 40-odd FPS. I'm planning to give it a bit longer and wait for more powerful cards before going back to 4K. In the meantime, I got a QHD monitor and that's tons better, super smooth.

That said, after writing this I just spotted that you're only interested in WoW/LoL. That might be doable, I still run WoW on my 4K monitor just fine, and maybe it would still be fine with only one card. But you've already ordered the monitor, so why not just try it?

Quick tip if you go 4K: remember that with 4K resolution, you really don't need anti-aliasing, the high resolution takes care of those jagged edges just fine :-) so you can usually switch off AA entirely for better performance.
    Last edited by ThePants999; 2015-12-08 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Gawdsent is completely correct. I have two 4GB 770s in SLI, and trying to run 4K, I don't get acceptable performance at decent settings in any modern game. I mean, it's not awful, but 60fps it ain't.

I did a bunch of research recently to decide how to fix this, and decided that right now there just aren't any cost-effective options for 4K gaming, unless you're willing to turn settings right down or accept 40-odd FPS. I'm planning to give it a bit longer and wait for more powerful cards before going back to 4K. In the meantime, I got a QHD monitor and that's tons better, super smooth.

That said, after writing this I just spotted that you're only interested in WoW/LoL. That might be doable, I still run WoW on my 4K monitor just fine, and maybe it would still be fine with only one card. But you've already ordered the monitor, so why not just try it?

Quick tip if you go 4K: remember that with 4K resolution, you really don't need anti-aliasing, the high resolution takes care of those jagged edges just fine :-) so you can usually switch off AA entirely for better performance.
    Thats a nice tip at the end there. Yeah I don't really care about the performance in other games I can just use a 1080p monitor if I want to play those on high settings. I'll try it and see what happens I think from what I've read lol is going to be a joke to run at 4k with highest settings so that should be fine, and wow may or may not need me to turn down the settings a bit which I'm fine doing as long as it looks better than the 1080p version with max settings. I might invest in a 390 but I guess I can wait for pascal because I don't really see myself playing wow much until legion since I cleared the current raid content months ago and have completely quit playing wow pretty much until legion which shouldn't be out before pascal if that is q1-2 of next year.