Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    People struggling with PoS is funny as that isn't even the hardest dungeon from WotLK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Pit of Saron is the rare case where it feels EXACTLY like it did back in Wrath. Pretty damn difficult if you didn't know all tactics.

Worked well for me until our rogue felt it's super important to be a tryhard DPS and pop a deep insight full trinket Killing Spree under the effect of Brand on Tyrannus. The health of our tank went down so fast that Tyrannus was hitting air in confusion for a couple of seconds.
    LMAO! That is funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    They handle it fine, if you can't stand wiping you should be getting your friends, y'know those things that are almost required by law to make in an MMO and forming a group you can rely on.

If not, take your convenience queued party like a man and quit bitching.

I pug these things too, if we wipe, I explain patiently why we wiped, if they do it again, I continue to do the same. I asked for this, in exchange for not spamming trade or my guild for help with these things, I am agreeing to teach possibly new faces, how these dungeons function. THAT IS HOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

I agree there are some unfairly tuned mechanics, certainly precata where healers are expected to rapidly dispel status ailments where that is no longer possible. That is the only thing I will admit needs looking at.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I learned to tank in WoLK, so it was a great walk down memory lane to be tanking there again, and fun sharing with players who'd never been. Had two wipes in three runs of Pit of Saron - one because half the party mounted and charged up the hill after Krick and Ick (reflex from the old days) but the other half were clueless and got left behind, the other being in the tunnel because I didn't brief the healer on what to expect. That's two wipes out of three runs and one of the wipes was trash, so 8/9 boss fights went ok. Had some individual players die because they mistook it for WoD dungeons and ignored mechanics or tried to solo trash. DPS not running behind rocks vs. Garfrost, for example.

****EDIT: Since I flagged myself as guide, I should take some responsibility for all the above. I only explained mechanics after we lost someone, since I didn't want to bore players who already knew and how to know? Whether they did or didn't? Since I started playing again in WoD, the main pressure I feel as tank is to make pug dungeons go fast. END EDIT****

Nexus on the other hand was pretty much like WoD - run pull run kill. Which got me to wondering: when they scale us down for these, to what point in the expansion do they scale us to? Because Nexus was an early leveling dungeon while Pit of Saron came late and dropped epics.

I never felt too strained as tank. Even with scaled down gear and stats, I still had more mitigation tools at my disposal. In the old days, I really had to worry about taking an empowered shot from Scourgelord Tyrannus, but last week my blood shield mostly took the edge off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    I wouldnt mind the Tyrannus difficulty if I only had to clear several times at most per 1 event to get/have a chance at any potential rewards

but considering that you have to kills thousands of bosses and even then you might not see the Infinite Drake .. yeah, Id rather skip any headache

I dont even mind the rest of Saron, bosses 1 & 2 are tuned ok, even with stupid melee DPS dying to poison nova on 2-nd (or some dying saronite throws on 1-st), you usually have 1 or 2 ranged left to peck the boss to death and Ive never had any real problems with the uphill gauntlet/tunnel leading to the last boss, rather enjoyed that actually

but:

1) the stupid Tyrannus one-shots on virtually anything under 40k hp, tank or not, defensive stance or not, didnt seem to matter (not always, but often .. sometimes I got taken to ~50% hp, sometimes to 0% hp from 95-100% hp, still not sure of the cause, active mitigation cant be making a 2x difference in dmg ? this was without unholy power)
    2) running all the way back from beginning back though the tunnel after a Tyrannus wipe

no thx

in End Time at least you get back to the Echo boss faster if you wipe
    You're not supposed to let Scourgelord Tyrannus hit you while he can one-shot you. You stand with back to ice so he knocks you back right before he gets empowered, then he is slowed by ice getting to you until his buff wears off. That's how we did it in the old days.

- - - Updated - - -

Pit of Saron is the rare case where it feels EXACTLY like it did back in Wrath. Pretty damn difficult if you didn't know all tactics.

Worked well for me until our rogue felt it's super important to be a tryhard DPS and pop a deep insight full trinket Killing Spree under the effect of Brand on Tyrannus. The health of our tank went down so fast that Tyrannus was hitting air in confusion for a couple of seconds.
    omg that's hilarious. I'd gladly pay the repair bill just to have a good laugh together after that!
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-01-19 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Taking ownership

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Weren't people complaining that TW dungeons were too easy when they came out and that they were nothing like what they really were back in the "good old days"?
    They aren't all tuned the same way. the TBC ones are easy, Wotlk a little harder, the cata ones are the most difficult.

But then they buffed gear lvls up in the cata ones. So they were stupid easy again.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Cant wait for the Timewalking Raids to be introduced Thats gonna be a whole lotta fun.
    YES! Would LOVE to timewalk some old raids - both my old favorites, and the ones I never got to do at appropriate gear levels!

I don't think Pit was ever that difficult. HoR on the other hand...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't think Pit was ever that difficult. HoR on the other hand...
    Exactly what I was saying to other old-timers while tanking the Pit last week: "I wonder how players who've never been will enjoy Halls of Reflection?"
    Man ~ I remember players used to drop group as soon as they saw where their random queue had landed them, before we even started the first fight! Those were some good days. EPIC! I was still learning to tank, too, so that was a tough place to learn! Never felt like my CDs came off CD fast enough lol. Eventually got easier, of course, as more of us learned the fights, agreed on how to work that first room, and got some better gear. But I bet some folks get a wake-up call all over again when we time-walk it! Here's hoping they don't nerf it and let it stay the the scary fun challenge we remember!

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Cant wait for the Timewalking Raids to be introduced Thats gonna be a whole lotta fun.
    If it's anything close to the anniversary MC, then noty.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    Exactly what I was saying to other old-timers while tanking the Pit last week: "I wonder how players who've never been will enjoy Halls of Reflection?"
    Man ~ I remember players used to drop group as soon as they saw where their random queue had landed them, before we even started the first fight! Those were some good days. EPIC! I was still learning to tank, too, so that was a tough place to learn! Never felt like my CDs came off CD fast enough lol. Eventually got easier, of course, as more of us learned the fights, agreed on how to work that first room, and got some better gear. But I bet some folks get a wake-up call all over again when we time-walk it! Here's hoping they don't nerf it and let it stay the the scary fun challenge we remember!
    Yeah I remember the auto drops. Kinda sucked. I was known for being able to tank it well and people would flood me with requests to go there when I logged. Pretty good feeling.

HoR was challenging but fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about this as I tanked my random heroic this week... Really the biggest difference between dungeons then vs. now? Back then we actually talked to each other about what to do. No one talks in random dungeons now, except *maybe* a thankyou at the end.

Pit was never as hard as HoR, but the two trash pulls on the hill, and to a lesser extent the gauntlet in the tunnel, were probably the next hardest sections in a wrath 5 man dungeon.
    Those are a lot easier with modern tank abilities, but between tyrannus numbers issues and dps in general being incompetent (or at least not knowing the boss fights and being too nervous to speak up for whatever reason - you can actually die in PoS if you don't know what you're doing, which is not the case in the rest of wrath TW), the instance feels a lot harder than it did back then.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think that's mostly due to everyone eventually learning the fights back then, and no one communicating about them now. Both times my party wiped in Pit, I explained what went wrong and we went back to execute it successfully. Just have to be patient and explain to those who haven't seen it before.

Deleted
    Instant quit was more Oculus thing as well. They even had to put a satchel with a rare raid (EOE) mount drop in there to make people actually try and overcome this dungeon. Dungeons like Oculus are prime example why you can't have nice things in LFD or LFR.

Those ICC 5-mans have some of the best weapon transmogs in the game too. Completely unique-looking models that may as well be in mythic raids, not this half assed WOD shit that looks like green level 30 gear.

Deleted
    Only problem I ever had was that they last too long.... Too long being 20 minutes or more. I don't mind spending time doing stuff but as a tank, I find TWs to be horribly boring so those 20 minutes feel like a life time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha...

"Current" playerbase... newsflash for you - most of the players are shit and were shit - nothing changed. This notion that WoW playerbase in past was any better is cute at best.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    Those ICC 5-mans have some of the best weapon transmogs in the game too. Completely unique-looking models that may as well be in mythic raids, not this half assed WOD shit that looks like green level 30 gear.
    YES! Didn't have transmog back in the day, so I hadn't kept much, and enjoyed getting Rimefang's Claw again. I now use it for both my DW swords as Frost DK. Runeforged them, of course, then put illusory Battlemaster on them so they'd match auras. Epic looking! ICC had the best art.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ferwyn View Post
    Only problem I ever had was that they last too long.... Too long being 20 minutes or more. I don't mind spending time doing stuff but as a tank, I find TWs to be horribly boring so those 20 minutes feel like a life time!
    Really? I find them to be a fun respite from running the same current content over and over. Timewalking is easily my favorite of the weekly events, and I hope they expand it to include old raids in the next expansion.

I think that's mostly due to everyone eventually learning the fights back then, and no one communicating about them now. Both times my party wiped in Pit, I explained what went wrong and we went back to execute it successfully. Just have to be patient and explain to those who haven't seen it before.
    I don't mind explaining things, I just prefer to ask if people don't know the fight BEFORE we get there and explain, rather than wipe first and explain later. And nobody ever, ever speaks up.

I haven't been having many problems with them...

Deleted
    I only have problems in Pit of Saron.
    The tanks health in there is like a jojo.
    100%-5%-60%-10%-100%-dead. Well then...

Also all tanks I met in there have this need to skip mobs by hopping the wall.
    The moment one other player misses the jump by a bit, or lands a liiiitle bit further then the tank, all hell breaks lose.
    I had PoS 6 times today, and each time we had wipes due to failed mob skipping.

I made macros for the bosses in there, because I don't want wipefests, and having to run back.
    Even if you warn people about brand on the first boss, they just ignore what you say and go full dps, mark or not.
    Tank dies, people yell at me: learn to f*king heal you filthy scum
    The things I had thrown in my face today, you don't want to know.
    It also just takes a looong time in there to get some of the trash mobs down.

From now on I'll just pop out of PoS whenever it pops up, and hop onto one of my other healers.
    I'm not taking this verbal abuse in PoS anymore.

yeah PoS is my least favorite thing to in all of TWing

the second least favorite being Echo of Baine