Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    I am curious to when the world will end though from Climate change so I can mark it on my calendar then raise eyebrows when I wake up the next morning.
    Another red herring tossed out there.

Here are some simple yes or no question for you.

1. Does burning a fossil fuel produce CO2?
    2. Is CO2 a greenhouse gas?
    3. Is CO2 accumulating in the atmosphere?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not upset. I never came in this thread to prove any point. I know that is useless and a waste of time.

As I said, most people will not change their mind and will always make an excuse to why they are right and the other is wrong.

I am curious to when the world will end though from Climate change so I can mark it on my calendar then raise eyebrows when I wake up the next morning.
    It probably won't be in your lifetime, so I wouldn't worry about that if your lifetime is all you care about. Children or Grandchildren on the other hand...

It's not really about making excuses. More climate change research projects are set up to debunk it than to reinforce the idea. It's not like people aren't trying to disprove it, they just happen to consistently end up reinforcing it and improving our models.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Another red herring tossed out there.

Here are some simple yes or no question for you.

1. Does burning a fossil fuel produce CO2?
    2. Is CO2 a greenhouse gas?
    3. Is CO2 accumulating in the atmosphere?
    Sure to all 3.

I suppose I just don't consider it an important issue. With all the crazy stuff in the world, I suppose I find a few degree increase / decreases over X years not as scary as something that could destroy and kill people / places I love well within my lifetime.

Sure to all 3.

I suppose I just don't consider it an important issue. With all the crazy stuff in the world, I suppose I find a few degree increase / decreases over X years not as scary as something that could destroy and kill people / places I love well within my lifetime.
    A change of few degrees in the global average is huge. It's called an average for a reason. Some places would see a much more dramatic change.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    A change of few degrees in the global average is huge. It's called average for a reason. Some places would see a much more dramatic change.
    Can't the earth handle it though? I feel like we are overstating our importance and significance to a a planet, which likely has been through far worse in it's existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't the earth handle it though? I feel like we are overstating our importance and significance to a a planet, which likely has been through far worse in it's existence.
    The Earth probably would. Society, and countless species of animals and ecosystems... maybe less so.

The question isn't really if the earth can handle it, it's if we can handle it. >_>

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure to all 3.

So you believe that humans, through our combustion of fossil fuels, are warming the earth - but just not a big deal because you are more worried about ISIS or something? At least you accept the basic fact that humans are warming the earth.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    The Earth probably would. Society, and countless species of animals and ecosystems... maybe less so.
    See that sounds much more realistic and valid already.

Doom and gloom for the entire world? Sounds ridiculous, but something more down to earth and local? Sure.

The earth can handle a big asteroid slamming to it. Humanity on the other hand...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    So you believe that humans, through our combustion of fossil fuels, are warming the earth - but just not a big deal because you are more worried about ISIS or something? At least you accept the basic fact that humans are warming the earth.
    The thought of a terrorist acquiring a nuclear device from a sketchy source (imo Iran in a few years) and detonating it in any Western city -does- worry me a bit.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellomania View Post
    The question isn't really if the earth can handle it, it's if we can handle it. >_>
    It's really if the phytoplankton can handle it. They're relatively sensitive to temperature increases and produce more than half the oxygen we breathe.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The earth can handle a big asteroid slamming to it. Humanity on the other hand...
    Hell, it can handle something so massive it creates the moon slamming into it.

Oh yes, they are all paid off, and can't possibly have valuable input because what they say -goes against the popular opinion- .

Look at the deeper principle . Instead of considering their position, people just say "paid off". When I see stuff like that, again, I consider intellectual bullying, as in, "We -clearly- are right, so we won't humor lower, inferior you with our superior minds."

The arrogance is a real turn off.

It isn't the idea of what they say that is annoying, its how they act about it. But then again, at this point, I assume nobody knows what respect is anymore.
    This is where a lot of deniers don't understand the basics of science. There is no emotion, arrogance, or opinion in science. Real scientists form their work around what's right regardless of who it upsets; they do not pander to the feelings of those who are wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Permian extinction, called the great dying, was caused by rapid (geologically speaking) change to the chemistry of the atmosphere. Specifically, a huge and rapid increase in greenhouse gases. This lead to the extinction of 90% of all life. The earth kept on going, the biosphere...not so much. Now, I am not saying we are headed to an extinction event like the Permian, but if we keep adding CO2 to the atmosphere unabated, well, that could cause some serious disruption to the biosphere.

- - - Updated - - -

The thought of a terrorist acquiring a nuclear device from a sketchy source (imo Iran in a few years) and detonating it in any Western city -does- worry me a bit.
    Bad day - for that area. Climate change unabated could be a bad day for all of the biosphere. But, I am glad to know you at least accept human caused climate change as a reality. That's progress I'd say based on some of your posting history on the subject. Grats.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    So...? He said he would write a paper for a fee highlighting the very things his group claim. They also claim that the peer review process for many of the other groups won't accept anything that goes against dogma(historically, this isn't unusual. There are many a controversy in the scientific community's past regarding their review process).

So what did they do other than essentially prank e-mail the guy? It's not like they got some verification that he's running a scam.
    Lololol. A lot of denier papers don't even use proper data in their studies, and when said faked data that they used is pointed out, they whine about dogma. Go figure.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post
    This is where a lot of deniers don't understand the basics of science. There is no emotion, arrogance, or opinion in science. Real scientists form their work around what's right regardless of who it upsets; they do not pander to the feelings of those who are wrong.
    That's not entirely true. Arrogance does exist in science, and it should when scientists are bombarded with the same inane bs over and over again. Give the scientists some data to work on then the arrogance will stop. You can't cry foul when YOU fail to provide results for what you're claiming.

15+ Year Old Account
    See that sounds much more realistic and valid already.

Doom and gloom for the entire world? Sounds ridiculous, but something more down to earth and local? Sure.
    I don't really see where anyone has claimed that the earth would be doomed. It might be confusing when a few initial statements were not properly expounded upon. What we've always been concerned about is US. Once climate change is accepted everywhere, those who still cling on to their stances will simply shift to "Well I don't care because I'll be dead by then anyway."
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

We're talking about nations disappearing under the waves. The marshall islands are for sure going to disappear. You're also talking about relocating a billion people who live along affected coastlines. That's going to be the cause of disputes that could lead to what you're fearing.

What I understand is that they keep changing the buzz word every few years to be more relevant. Global Cooling, Global Warming, and now, one size fits all Climate change.

And every 10 years or so some doomsday thing is supposed to happen.
    On the off-chance that you're here to debate in good faith, go and look up how 1) Global cooling was always a minority view and 2) how both global warming and climate changes are terms that have been in use for a very long time. See the first IPCC report in the early 90's, for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    On the off-chance that you're here to debate in good faith, go and look up how 1) Global cooling was always a minority view and 2) how both global warming and climate changes are terms that have been in use for a very long time. See the first IPCC report in the early 90's, for instance.
    I actually am pretty done with my input. People gave theirs, I came the the conclusion that it isn't doom and gloom as I thought they thought, and can see where they come from.

I might look it up when I have free time though.