7+ Year Old Account

Just bought diablo 3

I've never played a diablo game before in my life, but my question is, assuming I enjoy it, is the expansion worth buying right away? Would I do fine without it or is it like wow expansions where you need them asap.

Deleted
    I guess you would need the first expansion when you hit lvl 60 so you can get the last 10 lvls and reach the end game ^^

I'd suggest just playing the game as is, and if you like it, buy the expansion afterwards. You'll be more aware of the game, then - which means you'll actually know what you're buying when you do (or don't) decide to get RoS.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you enjoy the base game, yes. Get the expansion ASAP.
    We're a band of vicious pirates,
    we depend on RNG.
    If I only get one buff,
    then bury me at sea

Might take a bit of adjustment as Diablo games have a different approach to levelling, gearing etc than you might be used to.

But yeah, you won't need the expansion until 60 so see how you like it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'd buy straight everything - without RoS you're missing a decent bunch of features like Adventure mode/Rifts that made the game much more enjoyable form Vanilla.

The story is not bad but after one playthrough you're basically done and repeating it with defferent characters doesn't deliver as much as the first time. True replayabiliy comes after beating act5.

It's actually not a matter of Blizzard wanting to make the expansion manadtory, but really the Vanilla game was flawed in multiple aspects and they have been quite solved (personal preference here) only with the expansion when the dev team changed and basically Jay Wilson removed.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Second that Coldkil.

Get it straight away so you have the latest and most complete kit at your hands. No need to spend time getting to know the game and then having a lot of extra (important) stuff added when buying RoS. The expansion really added a ton of features that made the game significantly more enjoyable for every type of player.

I too would recommend bying RoS as well. It adds a lot of features like said before. Also if you like playing Paladin Chars you would miss out on the crusader which also is a feature of the exp. The 5. Act is also one of best style and story wise, in my opinion.

Despite all the critics this game received - and I had/have still a lot to wish for this game - I spent hundreds of joyful hours with it and I#m playing it occasionally 1 or 2 times a month.

It's a pretty good game and even if you dont get hooked enough to compete on the leaderboards you will still be having fun for a much longer time than with a lot of other games in this price range.

7+ Year Old Account
    Any tips also for someone 100% new to this series/genre? It's pretty much the first non-MMO i've played in years.

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say get RoS straight away. It's such a huge improvement ove rthe base game that it can't be quantified justifiably.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    Any tips also for someone 100% new to this series/genre? It's pretty much the first non-MMO i've played in years.
    My best advice is to just jump into it, mess around, try things. Try a couple of characters if you're not sure which style you like best. When you reach 70 on one you know you'll be playing a lot, go to http://www.diablofans.com/ and find a build that you have items for or just find interesting. Having a proper build makes things all the more enjoyable

As a sidenote, the current ladder season is expected to end in a few weeks' time. Spend this time to get your bearings with the game, and then start a new seasonal character when the new season begins shortly after New Years. There are some rewards that are only available to seasonal characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    The expansion has ALL of the current end-game content. ALL of it. I would suggest playing through the D3 campaign (You will probably get to about lvl 40-55 when you finish), and decide if you like the combat, as thats basically what the end game is for D3, repetitive combat. If you do like it, get the expansion asap, as otherwise you can't access pretty much 90% of the game. (You have to complete Act 5 on one character to get Adventure mode opened. You can't complete Act 5 without Reaper of Souls. Thus, you can't access pretty much 90% of the game).

Funnily enough though, You CAN get bout 75% of the story without Reaper of Souls, if you are just interested in the story/background lore. That'll decrease to about 70% in 2.5, when blizzard releases an extra 3 adventure-mode only zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Funnily enough though, You CAN get bout 75% of the story without Reaper of Souls, if you are just interested in the story/background lore. That'll decrease to about 70% in 2.5, when blizzard releases an extra 3 adventure-mode only zones.
    Technically it's one new zone and two new areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    I've never played a diablo game before in my life, but my question is, assuming I enjoy it, is the expansion worth buying right away? Would I do fine without it or is it like wow expansions where you need them asap.
    Personally if ur on PC I would have recommend you playing the Starter Edition thats free. If you liked that then u may like the rest since it isn't much different.

There is alot of Endgame content tho but in the end your grinding for loot until you get tired of doing that. If its cheap I say screw it and buy ROS.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I got the game for free with the annual pass when it came out so gave it a try. Got my wizard to like level 50 and the third difficulty before I threw in the towel. Those stupid wasps on the second act killed my interest and I have little interest in public games. I didn't come back until RoS came out. Now my wizard's at 65 and I'm too lazy to bother getting higher. Forgot what difficulty I'm doing on her but think it's the 4th one. Considering upping it again, though. Suppose it doesn't help that I opted to replay through act 1 again for like the fifth time rather than just skipping to act 5. I only got the expansion for the pet for WoW and because I got the physical CE on sale at my Gamestop for $25. Had to pay like $40 if I wanted it digital through Blizzard. So I paid $25 for a pet effectively although I don't mind playing D3. It's just different from what I normally play so I just play it in short bouts.

The game is different from what I normally play so it threw me off. I prefer to move with the WASD keys but the game forces you to use the mouse to move ... unless there's some option I keep missing to change that. The game is also a definite grind. Repeating the same areas over and over and over again can get repetitive. If you don't mind grinds, the game's not too bad. Maps are fairly random so even if you repeat the first act 10 times, each sub area will be different each time. If you hate grinds, then Diablo isn't for you. Expect to repeat the same areas a few times. It was pretty bad when it first came out about grinding, but since the removal of the auction house, it's considerably better. Still a grind, but more comparable to a grind in WoW than banging your head against a steel wall. You aren't required to do every map thoroughly and once you learn how the maps are put together, you can complete them fairly quickly. There are achievements to complete each act under an hour. I'm such a completionist, though, that I have a hard time skipping anything. Best I do is maybe 3-4 hours. I keep telling myself I'll start skipping areas, but then I can't help but wonder if there's a treasure goblin or a legendary in the area I'm skipping so I do it anyway. I have to have the entire map uncovered so it drives me bonkers when I quit for the day and come back to find my map is now covered again. I have to stop myself from going to areas I don't need to uncover the map again.

I'd recommend at least playing through the first four acts before you decide to buy the expansion. I'd also suggest to wait until it's on sale. Think it may be on sale now with the holidays so you could get it fairly cheap. Also shop around for it. Never know if you'll find a physical copy at a local store cheaper than the digital one from Blizzard. I ALMOST bought the DD before I decided to look at Gamestop. Glad I did. I snagged the last CE available in my city for what amounts to just under 2 months of WoW. Even the Gamestop employee was shocked and wish he had gotten it before I did. Even though I hardly play D3 these days, I don't feel too bad spending $25 on it. I still go back to it from time to time due to how different it is from the other games I play. Gives me something else to do to change things up a bit. I haven't even really bothered with like 90% of what's in D3 yet. All I've done is largely play acts 1-4 several times through.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point I'm not sure what's in RoS only. But yeah, you want to get it. It totally changed the entire game. I don't think you'd even get Kanai's cube or anything. Feel like you might not get reforging either? It's like WoW, you need the expansions.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Play it on console, much more fun imo. You can't really fail on the lowest difficulty so hard to give advice really... I guess try get gear with your main stat (strength/dexterity/intelligence) and take abilities + runes that fit your playstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I'd buy straight everything - without RoS you're missing a decent bunch of features like Adventure mode/Rifts that made the game much more enjoyable form Vanilla.
    Unless its been changed you don't unlock adventure mode until level 60 iirc.

If you like the game its totally worth it, you won't be disappointed.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Unless its been changed you don't unlock adventure mode until level 60 iirc.

If you like the game its totally worth it, you won't be disappointed.
    Adventure Mode can be unlocked at any level, but you need to first complete act 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.