Deleted

Building a new computer

Hi all,

I'm planning to build a new rig as my previous is nearly 2-3 years old and sometimes notice performance issues during raids or simply can no longer play games on highest setting.
    I already have a setup in mind, but wanted to see what input others have. I do not need everything, some parts can be salvaged from current (PSU, case, storage).

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel...-lane-140w-cpu)
    GPU: 2x Gigabyte WindForce GTX 980 (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-g...ores-2048-3x-d)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-A Intel Haswell Extreme (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-...-crossfire-us)
    Memory: Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-...14-16-16-31-xm)
    And probably this monitor: Dell S2716DG (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-de...p-12-hdmi-1-4x)

Goal: Have a decent setup for the next 2-3 years
    Budget: 2000£
    Mindset: Best of what I can afford while trying to maintain a good price/value ratio.
    Restrictions: Shop must deliver to UK* and has good reputation (like amazon, ebuyer, scan, etc)
    *within few work days, so shops located in UK or maybe in europe

Thanks for taking a look, posting advice in advance.

WoW that is overkill but first what is your old rig 2 years is not that old ?
    If you just game with your PC maybe a i5 6600k is enough.
    The GTX 980 is also not a price/performace winner, performance is close to the 970 and the price gap is not justified.
    Read a few more GPU tests and checkout the 390x or if you want to spend more the 980ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    5820K.

980s are not worthy, either go with a 980Ti and wait for the next cards or if it's not enough go with 2 Fury Xs. Buying new graphics cards isn't exactly a good idea ATM, next ones should theoretically be a huge upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    after 16gb of ram you are pretty much just balling up money and throwing it at a wall. To be on topic what are the primary games you are going to be playing? and why not get 1 980ti instead of 2 980s. Also why an i7 you aren't utilizing the hyperthreading with current games so again throwing money at a wall.

lastly, why did you wait until just after the black friday/cyber monday deals to build a new pc with that large of a budget I assume 2k$ didn't just fall into your lap . I just finished building my new rig which values just over 2200 for all new parts without the deals I got but I spent maybe 1600-1700 tops and I'm able to play at 4k
    Last edited by kushlol; 2015-12-10 at 04:51 PM.

Made by dubbelbasse

Deleted
    Forgot to add, current setup:
    CPU: i5-3570k
    GPU: Gigabyte R9 290
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-d3h
    Memory: 4x4gb Geil 1600mhz ddr3

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    after 16gb of ram you are pretty much just balling up money and throwing it at a wall.
    I do agree to a certain extent, but I was thinking of making RAMDisk of any excess and install the game I actively play on that. Also, building the PC for not just today, but 2-3 years more (the more the better)
    To be on topic what are the primary games you are going to be playing?
    Wow, SC2, HOTS, any of the latest AAA titles I fancy or indie games. Pretty much all-rounder in this matter.
    and why not get 1 980ti instead of 2 980s
    Could fit in more power with 2x 980 than 1x 980ti within budget, but this is nothing written in stone. As you could have guessed I'm in the research process to get as much value for my money as I can.
    Also why an i7
    The processor was chosen mainly due to 40 lanes over 28 lanes cpu processor. After doing some reading it doesn't really affect performance, so yet again something that could be switched out.
    why did you wait until just after the black friday/cyber monday deals to build a new pc with that large of a budget I assume 2k$ didn't just fall into your lap . I just finished building my new rig which values just over 2200 for all new parts without the deals I got but I spent maybe 1600-1700 tops and I'm able to play at 4k
    I don't know, probably should have. Did look around a bit, but didn't find any fantastic deal. The idea of a brand new serious setup only occurred to me a few days ago. If the build I decide on is big enough upgrade over my current one I'll go for it else wait a bit longer. Christmas, boxing day sales may bring some goodies.
    Last edited by mmocfb6ee87cab; 2015-12-10 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol wow that's the exact processor I upgraded from went to the 6600k i5 @ 4.3ghz. You also brought up a good point about Ramdisk and I think that would definitely justify the excess memory especially if it's still within budget.

Made by dubbelbasse

Quote Originally Posted by skrog View Post
    Forgot to add, current setup:
    CPU: i5-3570k
    GPU: Gigabyte R9 290
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-d3h
    Memory: 4x4gb Geil 1600mhz ddr3
    That PC should not be having any issues with anything. Upgrading your processor, overall, will net you maybe a 10% increase in performance in CPU bound games like WoW. In other games, it will not make much of a difference at all.

sometimes notice performance issues during raids or simply can no longer play games on highest setting.
    For raids, that's pretty normal. You can have the most powerful system money can buy and it can still happen. What resolution are you playing those other games at?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    For raids, that's pretty normal. You can have the most powerful system money can buy and it can still happen. What resolution are you playing those other games at?
    Monitor: BenQ XL2430T LED 24 (1920x1080x144hz), but would love to upgrade to 2560x1440. Used to play on that and I miss it
    Last edited by mmocfb6ee87cab; 2015-12-10 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skrog View Post
    Monitor: BenQ XL2430T LED 24 (1920x1080x144hz), but would love to upgrade to 2560x1440. Used to play on that and I miss it
    Yeah, for 1080p you should not be having any issues at all. There should ne be any turning down of settings. I think you may have something else going wrong. If you really want to play at 1440 again, pick yourself up a 1440 monitor and a Fury X or 980ti and call it a day. No need for all the other upgrades.

Deleted
    Yeah, for 1080p you should not be having any issues at all. There should ne be any turning down of settings. I think you may have something else going wrong.
    I'll do some testing today evening. Maybe it is only a perception issue due to unstable frame rate, even if it is still high.
    If you really want to play at 1440 again, pick yourself up a 1440 monitor and a Fury X or 980ti and call it a day.
    That is also an option. I'm open for partial replacement as long as it improves my experience substantially.
    Last edited by mmocfb6ee87cab; 2015-12-10 at 05:57 PM.

Deleted
    I went from a I5 3570K ( in fact I still have those parts lying around), to a I7 5820 K build, there was no real performance increase how ever the biggest benefit came from game recordings and rendering.

I use DXtory with UT video codec which produces 100mb/s bit rate videos and its encoded on the CPU, and the I7 just isn't phased by it but the I5 is, imo you don't need to upgrade the CPU now unless you need that extra horsepower or know where it will be used.

In the next year or so, you will be fine as DX12 should start to take flight with more games and Broadwell-E is coming round the corner which will fit on current 2011-V3 boards.

However nothing wrong to upgrade to a I7 5820K right now granted however then you end up in a position on what to do with that I5 CPU, its lost a lot of value if you look on Ebay or CEX, I'm personally thinking of making it in to a HTPC by disabling a core or 2 or a low end steam machine.

Deleted
    As people before me said, a hexacore for gaming is not worth it. I just build a system with a I7 5820k, but it´s for videorendering and editing.
    I5 is really fine for gaming.
    If you want a 1440 monitor i recomend this one: "Asus MG279Q" I have it and i love it.

Cheers

I honestly didn't bother reading the other comments I just finished building myself a new DDR4 computer. I read a few of them and some of them I disagree with a bit but oh well.

5930k isn't worth it unless you're streaming video rendering or doing other heavy CPU tasks. As a normal gamer you woun't. I'd honestly go with the 6600k or the 6700k as a gamer you'll get better performance from 4 faster cores. 5930k doesn't lag behind by much and if you are planning to use your pc for CPU focused tasks then yes I would 100% get the 5930k.

64GB of ram.... No. Unless you are again video rendering or doing VERY heavy cpu focused tasks. Don't get more than 32gb of ram in a ddr4 setup. *Personally I run 32 because I tend to have a ton of stuff open and I plan to stream* there ya go.

You are buying 2 980s don't just buy one 980ti. There is NO reason to get 2 weaker cards over 1 more powerful card. Alot of games are less optimized for sli rigs. And getting a 980ti gives you room to expand later when your pc is getting weak. And hopfuly in say a year or two they'll have much better optimization for sli. And if you are planning to run more monitors than ports on your GPU just get a display port hub.

Outside of that you're good to go and alot of it is personal choice but I do reccomend getting a 6700k over a 5930k for strictly gaming you'll get slightly better performance. 64gb of ram is good if you wanna be all *bling bling* like. And a 980ti is much better value than 2 980s.
    And I highly recommend liquid cooling for the CPU for example the H110i from corsair or the Cooler Master Nepton 280l but honestly it's up to you there.

Just read about this "ramdisk" if you have money to blow get a pci-e SSD
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2015-12-10 at 06:34 PM.

Deleted
    Artorius made two good points and i would have said the same. Go for 5820k, the 5930k is not worth it for the pci-e lanes unless you are going for more than 2 gpu's, ie 3 or 4. The other one is that 1 card is preferable so shoot for a 980ti especially for the resolutions you made. The hassle of sli is probably not worth it and some game might get little to no benefit from it so 1 stronger card would have been better.

Deleted
    With the following settings in LFR I got anywhere between 30 (mid combat, many effects and addons) - 210(no combat, barely anything on screen) FPS depending on the current environment, loaded addons:

Please keep in mind I'm also playing on 144hz monitor, so this result is quite underwhelming :\. I'm perfectly aware I could downgrade the graphics, but that is what I'd like to avoid, not to mention upscale from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440.

Based on feedback you all gave me so far I have the following plan
    - Upgrade to 2560x1440 but go for 60hz instead 144hz. (cheaper, and prob. better to have rock solid 60 fps than jumpy 40-200)
    - Go with a single strong GPU due to bad/lacking/unknown SLI optimization in games
    - Go with strong CPU with focus on /core performance rather than overall performance as games aren't optimized to use all anyway
    - Instead of 64 gb ram go for either 16 or 32 with a PCI-e SSD instead. (reduced cost of memory and motherboard pays for SSD)
    Last edited by mmocfb6ee87cab; 2015-12-10 at 10:56 PM.

Do you really need shadows at ultra? some settings could go down a notch, you wouldn't notice it while looking at the game, but you would surely notice the performance improvement that would bring. I mean sure, having everything ultra is badass, but the difference in shadows-ultra and shadows-high is minimal, and yet the performance hit is huge. And imo, let's be honest, if you're raiding you're not looking at how pretty the ambient or the models are, you're looking at where is the fire spawning to move out.
    That's why there's the "raid and bg settings" over there.
    Also, what kind of addons do you use, still using recount? Is every addon updated?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Do you really need shadows at ultra?
    Fair point, some of those should go down in raid environment.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Also, what kind of addons do you use, still using recount? Is every addon updated?
    Main ones are Skada, Vuhdo, DBM, Dominos, Weak Auras, Prat

Deleted
    Indeed turn shadow's and sunshafts down and you're set when raiding. You don't need either. Oh, ultra distance is not needed either tho i am not sure if its affected at all during raiding.