Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    The last one is age restricted meaning its in a retirement village and can only be bought by the over 65's.

- - - Updated - - -

It means those listed prices need to be
    4x
    3.33x
    4x

to get the real prices you would have to pay. Ergo they are not cheap and certainly not purchasable by someone on a low wage. In fact given the 3.5x income metric normally used for mortgages you'd need to be pulling in higher than the average UK wage (£26.5K) to buy one of those places. A 1 or 2 bed flat and you need to be earning higher than the average wage to buy one.... unbelievable.

No wonder the home ownership rate among the UK's young has utterly collapsed.
    Wow... I cant believe this totally flied over your head. Which part prevented you from figuring out that you could buy the rest in time or that you can create this thing called trust with a new person and live together in harmony? Which part of partial ownership is so poisonous to you? It's almost like you're a sociopath who cant trust new people. It's almost like you think you should never start humbly and work your way to better services.

I must say that perhaps some people are true. Millenials and similiar mindsets trully are entitled whiners.

Something something fruit trees
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Millenials and similiar mindsets trully are entitled whiners.
    There are far less opportunities for Millenials entering adulthood than there were for prior generations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    There are far less opportunities for Millenials entering adulthood than there were for prior generations.
    Ofcourse previous generations had more oportunities. Previous generations were busy repairing the world after WW2. Now that world is mostly repaired all those oportunities we saw our parents and grandparents have been fulfilled. Now we have different oportunities that mostly rely on social services, creating entertainment content or maintanance of our level of civilization . There's plenty believe me. The problem is that perception of those oportunities is "not good enough" or that they're "not worth the effort". Or maybe is it that we simply are running out of manual labour and those who cant do anything beyond manual labour percieve it as "less oportunities".
    Last edited by mmocac96309fe0; 2015-12-14 at 09:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There are a few, yes. More than that, though, there's a big difference between someone born in 1981 and someone born in 1991. Someone born in 1981 would have had personal computers and the beginnings of the internet in their formative high school years, but someone born in 1991 would have had Facebook and Twitter and Instagram and such bombarding them throughout their teenage years. Now, as they enter the workforce, people born in 1981 feel like these 1991 kids are displaying sometimes shockingly high levels of entitlement, and are in constant need of validation/positive reinforcement (which seems to be a big thing in social media too).

It's part of why I always thought it was stupid to lump 1980-2000 in to one generation. The first half of it is completely different from the second half in terms of technologies and culture.

And while I don't think all 90s kids are self-entitled brats, I certainly interviewed a large number of them when I was trying to hire a fresh college grad. Most of those, I think, will grow out of it as they spend more time in the working world. But some of them will continue to feel frustrated that their special talents aren't being utilized within the first year or two of starting their career, and they'll leave. I think that's part of what people complain about.
    So, i was born in 1991.
    Was probably, 14 i think when the Myspace social media craze started or at least most people talked about it at school. (I could be off by a year or two it was a decade ago, i now hate you for making me realise that haha ¬.¬)
    I don't think people my age display high levels of entitlement or constantly need validation. Certainly, some people do but that's not limited to any generation.

I think what you're really talking about are people adjusting to the differences between being in education and the workplace. I see people come in where i work, only a few years younger than me and it often takes a little time for them to adjust to the world they now find themselves in.

As for people leaving in short time frames. I actually find that it's more the people 20-30 years above me who are ladder hoping that leave within short time frames.

"It's the millennial's fault" is just an other way of saying "back in my days everything was better" for those who consider themselves the generation just before. They cannot use the latter one, because that one is used by their elders and they feel they themselves are better than those. Their situation and suffering is totally unique and all that

(So basically teenage angst for "adults".)

Deleted
    Some extra personal experiences with "millennials" from my perspective as an employer:

- Millennials prioritize their personal lives over work/career.
    - Millennials tend to "job hop" more frequently, looking for the "perfect" job to match their needs and (high-) expectations.
    - They often have unrealistic expectations about work, salary and workload/hours. (For example: expecting a company to bend to their schedule)
    - Millennials are open to working with new technologies/methods, especially digital ones. Older generations are often reluctant to do so and less flexibel.
    - For some reason it's challenging to dress "appropriately" for the job. Millennials prefer casual looks over suits/shirts.

Not everyone from a certain generation is the same of course. I do notice that people that follow the crowd however is and the rare gems are going their own way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Some extra personal experiences with "millennials" from my perspective as an employer:

- Millennials prioritize their personal lives over work/career.
    - Millennials tend to "job hop" more frequently, looking for the "perfect" job to match their needs and (high-) expectations.
    - They often have unrealistic expectations about work, salary and workload/hours. (For example: expecting a company to bend to their schedule)
    - Millennials are open to working with new technologies/methods, especially digital ones. Older generations are often reluctant to do so and less flexibel.
    - For some reason it's challenging to dress "appropriately" for the job. Millennials prefer casual looks over suits/shirts.

Not everyone from a certain generation is the same of course. I do notice that people that follow the crowd however is and the rare gems are going their own way.
    1) Do they(we) really or is it more a case of a bigger focus on work-life balance from an earlier point in life looking like that. Most people work to live not live to work so not surprising they'd place a bigger focus on personal lives.
    2)I find people my age(24) and around that tend to swap every year or two as they're looking for the right place/fit. Nothing wrong with that. No different than the 30/40 year olds that job hop every few years as they're moving around for better money, closer to home, less travelling, more family time, career progression etc.
    3)I'll give you this one, but i think that's more to do with getting used to being in a workplace rather than education than being "a millennial". Though i do see people from all ages that have similar thoughts.
    4)Depends with this one(i work at an IT company) for the most part everyone is pretty cool with trying new stuff. Most of the reluctance does indeed come from the 60+ aged workers where i am but even that is a relatively small number of them that resist. Though younger people are open to trying newer tech because we've not get 40 years of working 'the old way' as a habit :P
    5)Hmm, difficult. I like wearing suits and although i almost never wear one to work i always wear ironed trousers, a shirt and an appropriate jumper if it's cold, shoes polished too. I would much prefer if i could just come in wearing jeans and a t-shirt though, we do on fridays.

ps: didn't mean to attack your post or anything, just saying my take on it as apparently one of those "millennials"
    edit: before this thread i actually thought millennials were people born from the year 2000 onwards though seems this is 80s/90s onwards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I can add an anectodal one of my sister telling my dad to "check his priviledge as a white man"

Among other things
    Check your dad privilege yo.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    Uhm? Only the ones born in early 2000s can't vote, rest of them are 18+ and can vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus. Did she really said that? :O
    Apparently..I didn't hear it all buut from what I hear she called my dad part of the patriarchy and went on a rant.

She is 36

10+ Year Old Account

Millennials are people who turned the last generation into Abe Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Apparently..I didn't hear it all buut from what I hear she called my dad part of the patriarchy and went on a rant.

She is 36
    Single and no kids ? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Single and no kids ? :P
    Yep

Used to be pretty cool too...That all changed when the feminists attacked.

Joking aside it basically is what happened it was slow at first. She was feeling hurt and vulnerable and they did the whole purpose thing I guess. And to give an idea of how far she is(above aside) she once bragged about having a friend who is a friend with Anita.

It's one reason online radfems feel more real to me then most. As is we are borderline estranged.

Oh also focuses on the arts scene in chicago.

Outside of working at cards against humanity almost a walking stereotype(welll that and half arab)

Annyways as for millenials thing is job markets shit economies shit the ability to get NEEDS met(such as qhality foods) is INSANELY low while ability to get luxuries is at an all time high

We often have essentially no say in politics and our political/economic pull is insanely low.

Essebtiallg creating an escapist mentality amongst many of us.

Irony is it took ALOT less for the french revolution to occur. Bread and circuses perfected really

Entertainment is cheap food that keeps us sedated and weak is cheap

I mean our economic standing compared to the wealth is probably at an all time low. The wealth gap is even high then a serf to the king in europe to my knowledge.

Entertainments just been made ultra cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Wow... I cant believe this totally flied over your head. Which part prevented you from figuring out that you could buy the rest in time or that you can create this thing called trust with a new person and live together in harmony? Which part of partial ownership is so poisonous to you? It's almost like you're a sociopath who cant trust new people. It's almost like you think you should never start humbly and work your way to better services.

I must say that perhaps some people are true. Millenials and similiar mindsets trully are entitled whiners.
    I am not a millennial you idiot. Rather I'm one of those rare folks who give a damn about the next generation and are disgusted how people my age and older have treated the young. I can also see from your posts that you are one of those older extremely self-centered f***wits who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and blame it all on them buying iphones.

As for working your way up the housing ladder which part of my early post did not get past your pea sized intellect?

The common metric for home ownership is a 3.5x single income mortgage. Those places you linked are starter homes and to buy them you'd need to be earning over the average UK wage. Now tell me what is the average wage among the young in their late 20s? Do you think they are earning over the average UK wage? But no doubt you think that is OK. And no two incomes does not help. Not when one of those gets wiped out by child-rearing. Or do you expect the next generation to remain forever childless too?

The end result of all that is absolutely clear. The young are priced out of home ownership. The home ownership rates among the young have as a result utterly collapsed. You even have all the UK's mainstream newspapers talking about the problem.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f8cdae58-9...#axzz3uJGm2XFb
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-starter-homes
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a6736541.html
    http://www.cityam.com/228027/this-ch...n-in-the-1970s
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...reen-Belt.html

No doubt I'll get more completely clueless f***wittery from you in reply.
    Last edited by alexw; 2015-12-14 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Are there many 35+ members here? Seems a % bitching about it our bitching about their own generation
    Present.

Edit: wrong thread.

I'm about the oldest that might be called a millenial. I was once also the youngest you might call gen x. So, no clue what I am.

To me, being a millenial means being raised through a complete revolution in communication technology, while being shut off from career progression because our parents are still holding those jobs, and so on.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2015-12-14 at 03:38 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.