Thread: UEFA Euro 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    you can say the same for ronaldo then, nani was the dangerous one in both games
    The thing with Nani is, that he's Nani. He's not one to rely on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Every 3 minutes and 36 seconds an attempt over 2 matches and only managed to score one goal? That's not unlucky, that's a poor performance.
    Not even that, it's straight up getting somethings fundamentally wrong. There's a space between Utds create two chances and score both, and create 30 and not score any. You're creating/taking the wrong chances for your players as they're clearly not overwhelmingly good chances.

7+ Year Old Account
    Every 3 minutes and 36 seconds an attempt over 2 matches and only managed to score one goal? That's not unlucky, that's a poor performance.
    Salty your country isn't in the tournament or something? Because that's the impression you're giving. Or was it the fact Portugal destroyed you guys three times in the last decade? Euro 04/12 and WC 06 says hello. Whatever makes you sleep at night though, mate. I'm not here to pass judgement.
    Last edited by Lieutenant Dan; 2016-06-20 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post

Not even that, it's straight up getting somethings fundamentally wrong. There's a space between Utds create two chances and score both, and create 30 and not score any.
    Blaming the opponent for parking the bus, but still manage to get 50 attempts. That's more handball-like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post
    Salty your country isn't in the tournament or something? Because that's the impression you're giving. Or was it the fact that Portugal destroyed you guys twice in the last decade? Euro 04/WC 06 says hello. Whatever makes you sleep at night though, mate. I'm not here to pass judgement.
    Whoa quite the defensive one are you? Pot meet kettle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Will be looking forward to some more Payet class today, and hopefully Pogba will find his groove back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Pogba is overrated. I honestly don't get what the fuss is all about. It's like the Mario Balotelli situation a few years back. At least Pogba doesn't have problems putting on a training shirt. *see below*

Griezmann on the other hand is pure class. I'm predicting he'll score a couple tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't break through a defense, your team just ain't strong enough in creating chances to score.

That simple really, you can't blame the other team for defending come on now, that's just being silly. Against a strong offense it's more than a valid tactic to put it all on defense and focus on counters. Hell Italy has been doing just that for DECADES, is it annoying? Yes. It is valid and part of Football, yes.

I Stick with it that if you didn't win it's because you did something wrong and the other team did something right.

Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    on topic of underperforming, why hasn't anyone mentioned lewandowski? he was invisible without a shot on goal in two games, compared to that ronaldo and kane were amazing
    Same goes for Ibrahimovic. I doubt he has had any shots on goal so far either?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    Well Sweden revolves around Zlatan. No Zlatan no game. As for Lewandowski, I think it confirms my statement before the tournament. If Milik had been more accurate, Poland could have actually been on top of their group rather comfortably.
    Last edited by DrMcNinja; 2016-06-19 at 10:40 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Ronaldo and company should spend less time in theatrics classes and spend more time trying to score goals. What a childish display by players like him yesterday. The rest of the team needs to pull their dicks out of their butts though, expecting one guy to do all the work is exactly why Portugal doesn't have any wins. Ronaldo is selfish like a lot of other star football players are, and you don't win in a team game when you don't play as a team.

Zlatans been playing link up for Sweden and doing a half decent job. He has drawn defenders all over the place and played some real nice passes. It would be good if he was getting the service, but Sweden really lacks in the midfield area right now.

he assisted an irish player to score an own goal, so far that's all that sweden have managed to do

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Maybe Ronaldo and company should spend less time in theatrics classes and spend more time trying to score goals. What a childish display by players like him yesterday. The rest of the team needs to pull their dicks out of their butts though, expecting one guy to do all the work is exactly why Portugal doesn't have any wins. Ronaldo is selfish like a lot of other star football players are, and you don't win in a team game when you don't play as a team.
    No one is expecting Ronaldo to do all the work. The team is good, we simply don't have a good striker so Ronaldo is seen as one but he isn't, specially as the age catches up with him and he reaches the NT tournaments always after 50+ games for Real Madrid.

Too bad the strikers of the big 3 clubs are all foreigners. We could really use Slimani or Jonas in the NT.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    No one is expecting Ronaldo to do all the work. The team is good, we simply don't have a good striker so Ronaldo is seen as one but he isn't, specially as the age catches up with him and he reaches the NT tournaments always after 50+ games for Real Madrid.

Too bad the strikers of the big 3 clubs are all foreigners. We could really use Slimani or Jonas in the NT.
    The joys of international competition. Try being Canadian, our football team is absolute trash internationally, but our program is starting to get better. But when it comes to sports like hockey, we rule the planet internationally because we have so much elite talent that can cover all the roles well (offense, defense and in goal), and I think that is such a big thing with international football, a lot of teams have a couple of elite players who can carry their teams in their own leagues, but don't have a good enough supporting cast to help them dominate when they play as a country, and I see that with Portugal, however they aren't alone in that regard. It's a tough situation to be in certainly. Portugal should have blown out both of their games based purely on shot attempts, but I think it is so much harder to win when the opposition knows they are at least out matched offensively and will try to force a draw in order to get points, banking on other teams in their group to lose and get eliminated.

Expected goals (scored and conceded across the first 2 games):
    https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/744508944404611072

Czech Republic and Portugal the obvious outliers - one scoring way more than expected given their chances and the other scoring fewer. Penalties are not included in the calculations so it's actually slightly worse for Portugal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    Expected goals (scored and conceded across the first 2 games):
    https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/744508944404611072

Czech Republic and Portugal the obvious outliers - one scoring way more than expected given their chances and the other scoring fewer. Penalties are not included in the calculations so it's actually slightly worse for Portugal.
    This makes me all the more excited for Croatia - Spain, despite Modric's probable absence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post
    Salty your country isn't in the tournament or something? Because that's the impression you're giving. Or was it the fact that Portugal destroyed you guys twice in the last decade? Euro 04/WC 06 says hello. Whatever makes you sleep at night though, mate. I'm not here to pass judgement.
    I'm sorry

WC 2010 and 2014 say hi back.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2016-06-19 at 03:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bother Hans, Dan is probably the saltiest thing that happened to this thread. Saltier than a Hollandse Nieuwe

WC 2010 and 2014 say hi back.
    WC 2010 we got out with an offside goal by Spain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Granted, depending on the angle that offside was quite difficult to judge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry to get you involved mate. But stating the obvious didn't go well with your fellow countryman