Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yes it did. The first 5 turns came out in 2.0. You unlocked it after doing the Hard Mode of Ifrit, Titan and Garuda. Then Labyrinth in 2.1 then Second Coil 2.2 then Sycrus 2.3 then Final Coil 2.4 and 2.5 World of Darkness.
    no coil was a 2.05 or some such thing. It got delayed. still pre 2.1

- - - Updated - - -

Caught up now and a tip do NOT do every side quest especially at the start yes they sometimes offer gear needed but most are just "hey this is how you emote this is how you chat type stuff. It is one reason many don't get into combat at first. Generally I just seethe aetheryte(teleport stone) my class master(do his quest then get a thing called hunt logs and do those) and the store..ALL of that is your very first story quest.

And yes we get class quests every 5 levels(every 2 in heavensward) with their own story and lore.

Also outside of making an aura their is no reason to have heavensward right off the bat(I often recommend at 49 due to the extra xp) due to classes being in expansion content only.

All in all I feel like it takes what wow did and refines it. I recently moved to jenova(cheaper then wow AND lets me move ALL from one server to another with one payment) I will be happy to help.

Oh and you do get sub bonuses like glamor(transmog) items, pets even a free race change potion for your first month.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still quite like the game.

As a non raider it offers me some fun dungeons. Although I have to admit the artificial segregation into expert/high level is a bit lame. Unless you level an alt class, you won't see the leveling dungeons again, despite the cool scaling system because everything gets reduced to the 2 most current dungeons.

But since you can level every class on the same character (awesome for people that get attached to them like me) the inertia of rolling a new alt is a lot lower than it is in WoW because you don't start from scratch all over and over.

Oh just a friendly tip though: unless you are in to massive mind numbing grinds that offer pathetic rewards, disregard crafting in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

As a non raider it offers me some fun dungeons. Although I have to admit the artificial segregation into expert/high level is a bit lame. Unless you level an alt class, you won't see the leveling dungeons again, despite the cool scaling system because everything gets reduced to the 2 most current dungeons.

But since you can level every class on the same character (awesome for people that get attached to them like me) the inertia of rolling a new alt is a lot lower than it is in WoW because you don't start from scratch all over and over.

Oh just a friendly tip though: unless you are in to massive mind numbing grinds that offer pathetic rewards, disregard crafting in this game.
    I know some who prefer it tbh sooo more a choose your style thing.

I have the exact opposite experience - because you level everything on the same character (and would be foolish not to given the access to gear from other higher geared jobs), leveling is an absolute chore after the first job.

No reset of quests means that you are stuck doing absolutely inane content for leveling secondary jobs, whether it be fetes, leves or dungeon spamming. I didn't find the bonuses they gave me enough to alleviate this pain; thus, I basically just stopped playing. I had intended to come back for heavensward, but after reading class changes, everything I liked about the classes I played got changed

Deleted

The astronomical amount of money that crafting makes you in this game is not something I would call a pathetic reward :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior
    I know some who prefer it tbh sooo more a choose your style thing.
    That's why I wrote "unless you are into it". Masochists do happen... and hey I craft myself despite it being useless to me. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for spending time with my dear kitty but don't have the focus/energy to run dungeons. Crafting while watching a movie is perfect for that. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    The astronomical amount of money that crafting makes you in this game is not something I would call a pathetic reward :P
    I have yet to find a use for gil outside of crafting and the occasional relic stage. (I don't raid so no money drain there)

Housing maybe, but plot limitation and lack of role play peers make housing beyond my little library room in the FC house rather uninteresting.

@Delekii: I agree that the leveling w/o main story and sidequests is horrible. Esp 52-60 ist just ... torture. 1-50 is actually fairly easy and quick, I mainly level via daily low level roulette and make almost a level/day.

Crafting CAN make you lots of money, if you spend a pretty retarded amount of time at the market board, gaming the markets, trending items that sell well and spending whatever time you have leftover getting the materials and crafting the items...

Personally I don't find the reward appealing enough considering how much of my in game time I'd have to devote to getting it. Do not underestimate how much time it takes to research material costs, selling trends, etc... for even a few items you're planning on trying to make a profit from crafting and selling. It's ridiculous. Not to mention all the fuckwad morons who either knowingly or unknowingly tank the cost of the items you're trying to sell. Nothing more infuriating to me than spending hours getting everything ready and then going to sell my "money makers" only to find out the market is crashed because of a few impatient retards.....grrrrr.

You can make a decent enough amount of money simply playing the game, sending out your retainers for items crafters want, and selling some of the random drops you get in your travels.

That said, crafting is a fun little mini game, just be prepared to actually work for profits if you plan to take it seriously.... I don't play games to work, so crafting isn't for me. I got them all to 50 and can repair all of my own gear, so I'm good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    That said, crafting is a fun little mini game, just be prepared to actually work for profits if you plan to take it seriously.... I don't play games to work, so crafting isn't for me. I got them all to 50 and can repair all of my own gear, so I'm good.
    MINIgame? Rofl...

If you were to craft your own gear, not only would it be inferior to Esoterics gear, you'd also spend 20x the amount of time AND millions of gil in order to even get to the point of being able to craft it.
    And don't even get me started on the retarded concept of desynthesis.

Leveling your crafters is time consuming but essentially piss easy.
    Getting the gear and the stats (materia overmelds/script grinds) at max level to be able to craft master recipes .. that's where the true insanity of crafting begins.
    Oh and when a patch drops that adds new gear: you start that insane grind all over again.

If you want easy, steady profits, level a gatherer and sell stuff.

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kings Road View Post
    Well, I've been flirting with the idea of trying it out until Legion is released.

Downloading the demo on Steam at the moment.
    I've looked on the FF XIV Reddit, but didn't get much information.

What's this game about? What makes it different to WoW? How in-depth is it?
    The only FF I've played in the past, is FF III (which I rank as one of my favourite games).
    By now you've probably been playing for a few days and haven't replied because the game is so damn good, you're no longer posting on the forums. I switch between FFXIV and WoW. Just switched back to WoW for a few months and it sent me right back to FFXIV. Why? Because it has the RPG elements that barely exist in WoW anymore. People don't quit after a wipe (ok a few do here and there). The community is better. The fights feel more significant (as a healer anyway).

I just feel "happier" when playing this game. Sure, there are some douchebags, but nowhere near the % that exists in WoW's current community.

I started playing FFXI many moons ago and eventually switched to WoW because FFXI was too hardcore in terms of the time required to advance. FFXIV is WoW+FFXI. No brainer for me. If you like RPGs and MMOs, this is the game to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll make this simple!

The only things I don't like about the game are its subpar pvp (WoW, GW2, and the upcoming Blade and Soul just trounce the hell out of it) and its clunky gear appearance system. I also wish I didn't have to have a crafting job in order to use materia. They basically copied WoW (and other MMOs) in a lot of areas but not in the useful ease of use for the little things (Materia should as easy to use as gems in WoW, and being able to use a menu and paying a few gil to appearance change instead of having 2-3 items is pretty shitty compared to how its done in WoW, GW2, BnS, etc).

Everything else is fantastic and well worth your time! Quests and overall story are excellent and the dungeons are better and harder than the ones in WoW. This game's version of casual raids is also much more pleasant and fun than LFR in WoW, not to mention more rewarding.

Manderville Saucer > Darkmoon Faire

Catgirls

Potatos

Manderville

Catgirls

Catboys?

Great looking character models and gear

Dragon girls and boys

Superior crafting systems

All classes can be had on one character!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Transmigration View Post
    By now you've probably been playing for a few days and haven't replied because the game is so damn good, you're no longer posting on the forums. I switch between FFXIV and WoW. Just switched back to WoW for a few months and it sent me right back to FFXIV. Why? Because it has the RPG elements that barely exist in WoW anymore. People don't quit after a wipe (ok a few do here and there). The community is better. The fights feel more significant (as a healer anyway).

I just feel "happier" when playing this game. Sure, there are some douchebags, but nowhere near the % that exists in WoW's current community.

I started playing FFXI many moons ago and eventually switched to WoW because FFXI was too hardcore in terms of the time required to advance. FFXIV is WoW+FFXI. No brainer for me. If you like RPGs and MMOs, this is the game to play.
    Pretty much what I do now and will be doing in Legion. Switching back and forth with a little Blade and Soul PVP added in.

Also, don't let anyone tell you that FFXIV's combat is shit compared to WoW. Most that say this never finish leveling and don't get the job changing rotations past level 30 and 40. My Monk is just as complex and rewarding to play right compared to my GCD locked enhance shaman in Wrath and Cata and is better still than hjow most classes I play in WoW (DK, Monk, Ret pally, warrior, rogue, druid).
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

MINIgame? Rofl...
    I meant, specifically, the crafting of a single item not the whole experience. I agree with you completely on everything.

If you want easy, steady profits, level a gatherer and sell stuff.
    This^

Personally I don't like taking too much time away from what I like doing in this game (dungeons, raids... basically anything having to do with PvE fighting).

That said, I encourage leveling a gatherer JUST so you can level a retainer of the same gathering profession so you can make THEM go out and gather stuff for you to sell while you do other things. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I meant, specifically, the crafting of a single item not the whole experience.
    Yep that is the best implementation of crafting that I have ever seen. Esp going for HQ stuff can be quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Th...hamut_-_Turn_1. 2.0 as far as that says.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Caught up now and a tip do NOT do every side quest especially at the start yes they sometimes offer gear needed but most are just "hey this is how you emote this is how you chat type stuff. It is one reason many don't get into combat at first. Generally I just seethe aetheryte(teleport stone) my class master(do his quest then get a thing called hunt logs and do those) and the store..ALL of that is your very first story quest.

And yes we get class quests every 5 levels(every 2 in heavensward) with their own story and lore.

Also outside of making an aura their is no reason to have heavensward right off the bat(I often recommend at 49 due to the extra xp) due to classes being in expansion content only.

All in all I feel like it takes what wow did and refines it. I recently moved to jenova(cheaper then wow AND lets me move ALL from one server to another with one payment) I will be happy to help.

Oh and you do get sub bonuses like glamor(transmog) items, pets even a free race change potion for your first month.
    I remember coil been there from the start, only turn 5 got turned off due to the exploit where you could basically make it a punching bag.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing to do in WoD untill Legion.

Go FFXIV.
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemin View Post
    I remember coil been there from the start, only turn 5 got turned off due to the exploit where you could basically make it a punching bag.
    Hmm ok maybe I got mixed up...And looking back you guys may be right apologies.

Deleted
    Hmm ok maybe I got mixed up...And looking back you guys may be right apologies.
    I only know since we got to use it as a punching bag :P before the disabled it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty much WoW with graphics that isn't from 2006, a story that makes more sense than the rubbish that is WoW's lore, some very good music (IMHO) and developers that are even less responsive to player feedback than Blizzard.

In the end, if you like WoW, you will probably like FFXIV - unless the higher GCD ticks you off, some people can't stand it.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...