58 29.00%
  • Other (write in comments below)

16 8.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Either. Both. Neither. It's irrelevant.

32, Texas :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyn View Post
    I'm not religious and I like to recognize diversity, so I usually just say Happy Holidays. I do say merry Christmas to family members, because most of my family is christian and get agitated when people use a different greeting. I don't get offended in the slightest when people tell me merry Christmas though.

I'm 21 and in North Carolina, USA.
    i'm not religious either but i do all the celebrating and stuff just not to be a miserable bastard.

i mean december the 25th isn't even Jesus birthday it was a pagan festival, so even Christians aren't celebrating his birth lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Christmas is 24th of December m8
    Christmas Eve is December 24th. At which time if I'm feeling especially festive I might also say Merry Christmas.

But between December 26th of one year, and December 23rd of the next year there is no logical reason to utter the words "Merry Christmas" unless you are roleplaying that it is Christmas on a day that is not Christmas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I always feel kinda bad for Sweden ;<
    Why feel bad?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    People who are triggered by Merry Christmas remind me of people who are triggered by "bless you" when someone sneezes.
    I don't like "bless you" but that's just because I think we need to stop making s thing out of bodily functions. Sneezing, burping, flatulence. We all do them, how about we politely ignore them? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Why feel bad?
    I kinda see everything that happened to your country in the past half decade or so as a cautionary tale for the rest of the world. maybe it will turn out ok but you guys seem to of dug yourselves into a massive hole.

Kinda would get us off topic so just gonna leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I kinda see everything that happened to your country in the past half decade or so as a cautionary tale for the rest of the world. maybe it will turn out ok but you guys seem to of dug yourselves into a massive hole.

Kinda would get us off topic so just gonna leave it at that.
    It's just that their is no commonly used equivalent to "happy holidays" in Sweden so it would sound weird if someone tried saying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Merry Christmas here

33 and from Scotland!

I'd think Happy Holidays is definitely much more of a broad use other than Christmas.

It's Christmas for me personally, but I say happy holidays when I was working in retail, and had no problem with that, and I don't have any problem with people saying happy holidays to me. I'm not a Christian, so Christmas is basically "Santa/Tree/Snowman/Presents Day" for me.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Use either interchangeably, but usually Happy Holidays.

"I say Happy Holidays because I don't always know if the person I'm speaking to is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Shinto, Wiccan, Navajo, Agnostic, Klingon, Minbari or Voice Mail, and I just want to say something nice. If it offends you that I want you to have a nice holiday, it's your damn problem, not mine."

In regards to the bogus "War on Christmas", keep in mind that I was taught to say Happy Holidays by a very religious (yes, Christian) woman in the early / mid 1980s. Back then, Christians weren't so insecure that they needed to have their religion validate by the masses constantly.

And, not coincidentally, there was no Fox News back then.

Either is fine.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Use either interchangeably, but usually Happy Holidays.

"I say Happy Holidays because I don't always know if the person I'm speaking to is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Shinto, Wiccan, Navajo, Agnostic, Klingon, Minbari or Voice Mail, and I just want to say something nice. If it offends you that I want you to have a nice holiday, it's your damn problem, not mine."

In regards to the bogus "War on Christmas", keep in mind that I was taught to say Happy Holidays by a very religious (yes, Christian) woman in the early / mid 1980s. Back then, Christians weren't so insecure that they needed to have their religion validate by the masses constantly.

And, not coincidentally, there was no Fox News back then.
    Yeah, it's funny. I mean there's Muslim guys at work who enter the secret santa, because why not? It's fun. Nobody is trying to kill Christmas, other than those who perpetuate the cesspool of consumerism that has latched onto it and overshadowed it's original message... you know... about how all of the finest gold, frankincense and myrrh was offered to Jesus, but what made him smile was the song made up by the poor little drummer boy.

Somehow that's been changed to: Cut people off in the parking lot, drive like an asshole to the mall, treat retail associates like shit, and buy cheap made in China garbage that nobody needs and spread it around.

So I mean honestly. The only people waging war on Christmas, are the Christians that endorse that kind of nonsense and allow the word "Christmas" to be attached to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other: Happy Festivas
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Merry christmas!
    If people get offended, which I've never experienced, they have a lifeI'm envious of.

26, Denmark.
    I like juice

Christmas was named that by Christians after taking it from the Roman's celebratory week called Saturnalia (which ran December 17-25 ) in the hopes of turning, predominantly Roman, pagans over to Christianity.

Thus it is should be defined, in current day, as Christmas, Merry Christmas, as it's a Christian holiday.

Sure it surrounds the day assigned to the birth of a man that's central to other religions, those other religions have adapted to celebrating the same holiday at the same time, despite some of those other religions celebrating it at a different time, as waaaaaaay back when Christianity was in essence the more wide spread religion, including all it's branches, across the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy holidays, I've always used that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This time of year is it Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Also how old are you and where you from?
    Me personally "Merry Christmas", but I don't disparage "Happy Holidays" either.

I look at it like this: during the "Holiday Season" you have Thanksgiving (in the USA), Ramadan, Hanukah and Christmas for religious holy days, then on top of that you have seasonal Holiday's like Winter Solstice and New years, which along with this I lump into the secular expressions of Christmas that don't match the Protestant or Catholic expressions of the Holiday.

In that vein I think that you are perfectly fine with specific expressions of well wishes for those days or you can just shot gun your well wishing with "Happy Holiday" and cover all cultural and religious bases.

Christian, 32, Oklahoma, US.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Pretty much. But contrary to the narrative that this thread seems to be trying to create in my personal experience people get all butt-hurt and start going on about how persecuted Christians are in our society and how there's a big war on Christmas if you say "Happy Holidays." I mean really though... If you take the actual message of the nativity story...and then look at how we actually celebrate Christmas these days, you've killed the message of Christmas yourself.
    Yeah. If someone greets you (with whatever), greet them back (with whatever). It's just a greeting. The sentiment is the same regardless of which imaginary friend you do (or don't) believe in. Stop being a cunt for just one day!

I usually say "have a happy holiday season"

Makes it all inclusive.