Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Therris View Post
    I feel your burden, I actually changed (some) ability icons and made up my own backstory for my monk to distance myself away from what the game tries and dictates me as
    Here's the thing. You aren't your character. Your character does things and makes decisions against what you may personally do, or what you may decide your character to do. Your story is set in stone. You can make up pretend "Rp" backstories, but those are your own head cannon and not what actually happens in the story of the game.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

7+ Year Old Account
    Like rogues, you could say your a bandit, thug, outlaw (...even more so since they're literally changing the name combat to outlaw)mercenary, hired blade, Assassin,Shadow Stalker,Ninja.
    With monk its
    Game:"...your no longer the race you chose, your a panda"
    Me:"But I'm a blood elf"
    Game:"Did you choose Monk?"
    Me:"Yes...."
    Game:"Your a panda now"
    Me:"but--"
    Game:"YOUR A PANDA"
    I get it, pandaren were the first to pratice monkism! Night Elves were the first to practice druidism! But other races, Tauren, Worgen, Trolls aren't being slapped in the face with "Your race, really isn't apart of this class. You choose wrong. So now we will remind you that you choose wrong every day for the rest of days until you race changed or reroll" like they do with monk. I had to make my own story, to feel like my character makes sense. To feel like he fits in the world!

I don't hate pandaren, but I am not a panda!
    There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish
    I will do what I must to keep the balance!

Horde:Driefal-Cravius-Ristir-RonedSenthes

So you want a monk that doesn't revolve around the Celestials? Isn't that the whole identity of the class? Should we remove the Light from paladins? The elements from shamans?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    Here's the thing. You aren't your character. Your character does things and makes decisions against what you may personally do, or what you may decide your character to do. Your story is set in stone. You can make up pretend "Rp" backstories, but those are your own head cannon and not what actually happens in the story of the game.
    Never said it did, but when I log onto my character. My story has happened, my character is the result of said story and the events that take place in game lore, effect my characters story and his progression within it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    So you want a monk that doesn't revolve around the Celestials? Isn't that the whole identity of the class?
    Well considering Celestials take zero part in our class quest, no apparently they aren't according to blizzard creating class identity

Well considering Celestials take zero part in our class quest, no apparently they aren't according to blizzard creating class identity
    Do you play a monk by any chance? Their abilities take their themes from the Celestials. To argue otherwise because the Celestials aren't sitting in your class hall is a stretch.

Like rogues, you could say your a bandit, thug, outlaw (...even more so since they're literally changing the name combat to outlaw)mercenary, hired blade, Assassin,Shadow Stalker,Ninja.
    With monk its

I get it, pandaren were the first to pratice monkism! Night Elves were the first to practice druidism! But other races, Tauren, Worgen, Trolls aren't being slapped in the face with "Your race, really isn't apart of this class. You choose wrong. So now we will remind you that you choose wrong every day for the rest of days until you race changed or reroll" like they do with monk. I had to make my own story, to feel like my character makes sense. To feel like he fits in the world!

I don't hate pandaren, but I am not a panda!
    Except you're not comparing the same things between ne/tauren druids and monks.

All tauren and NE monks were trained by cenarius, there's NO breaking away from that. All monks were taught by pandaren and the abilities they learned are pandaren in nature, there's NO breaking away from that.

That being said, even if the *lore* was changed where there are different types of monks lore-wise, your abilities wouldn't change just like Troll and worgen druids.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you play a monk by any chance? Their abilities take their themes from the Celestials. To argue otherwise because the Celestials aren't sitting in your class hall is a stretch.
    Oh my god, you get that's a sarcasm right? And poking fun at blizzard....right?
    But seriously, there more pandaren identity then monk identity and the fact we can invoke them how we do is...stupid as a hell considering they're basically gods

I'd agree with the sentiment but Monk is pretty much the sole reason Pandaren are still getting content period.

If they could give us Pandaren that weren't monks I'd be down with more Monks that weren't Pandaren.

Oh my god, you get that's a sarcasm right? And poking fun at blizzard....right?
    But seriously, there more pandaren identity then monk identity and the fact we can invoke them how we do is...stupid as a hell considering they're basically gods
    Then you're playing the wrong class. Roll a rogue. Your poor attempts at sarcasm and your inability to create coherent arguments won't get monks re-branded from their Celestial-themed identity.

7+ Year Old Account
    Except you're not comparing the same things between ne/tauren druids and monks.

All tauren and NE monks were trained by cenarius, there's NO breaking away from that. All monks were taught by pandaren and the abilities they learned are pandaren in nature, there's NO breaking away from that.

That being said, even if the *lore* was changed where there are different types of monks lore-wise, your abilities wouldn't change just like Troll and worgen druids.
    I'm perfectly fine with abilities not changing, lol, that's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for branches of a story rather then the twig we have as Monk

- - - Updated - - -

Then you're playing the wrong class. Roll a rogue. Your poor attempts at sarcasm and your inability to create coherent arguments won't get monks re-branded from their Celestial-themed identity.
    Smh...you're a funny character

I'm perfectly fine with abilities not changing, lol, that's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking for branches of a story rather then the twig we have as Monk
    I can totes respect that. I think that the problem here (compared to something like druids) is monks are new to Warcraft where as druids have been in way before WoW. It's just something that'll need time to flesh out.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can totes respect that. I think that the problem here (compared to something like druids) is monks are new to Warcraft where as druids have been in way before WoW. It's just something that'll need time to flesh out.
    Hmmm I can see that, that's understandable. But, between me and you I don't think they will. I want them to, I would beg and send presents, and sell souls if I have to for them to even CONSIDER it.

If they do I will be very very very happy

I read somewhere that they wanted monks to be in Vanilla(...not how they're now of course) but they didn't want to copy EverQuest I think

Hmmm I can see that, that's understandable. But, between me and you I don't think they will. I want them to, I would beg and send presents, and sell souls if I have to for them to even CONSIDER it.

If they do I will be very very very happy

I read somewhere that they wanted monks to be in Vanilla(...not how they're now of course) but they didn't want to copy EverQuest I think
    Worgen and draenei thought the same thing, but look at WoD and what they plan for Legion with Greyman (both from a story perspective.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully with the introduction of Class Orders and Class Halls...and with the hope that these two elements stay and grow in the future, maybe they can branch out the monk class into different states of being. Spread our lore out and represent our class better within the game and story.

But they already took a wrong step making our Class Order, nothing but Pandaren.....

- - - Updated - - -

Worgen and draenei thought the same thing, but look at WoD and what they plan for Legion with Greyman (both from a story perspective.)
    True, true. You give me hope! Thank you!

Just accept it. Monks and Pandaria will always be connected just like Death Knights are connected to the Lich King and Northrend. Complaining about it is as stupid as complaining that DK's have death themed abilities and talents

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully with the introduction of Class Orders and Class Halls...and with the hope that these two elements stay and grow in the future, maybe they can branch out the monk class into different states of being. Spread our lore out and represent our class better within the game and story.

But they already took a wrong step making our Class Order, nothing but Pandaren.....

- - - Updated - - -

True, true. You give me hope! Thank you!
    Again complaining about pandaren all over the monk class hall is like whining about dead guys with pasty skin being all over the DK class hall

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    Just accept it. Monks and Pandaria will always be connected just like Death Knights are connected to the Lich King and Northrend. Complaining about it is as stupid as complaining that DK's have death themed abilities and talents
    They can tell interesting and diverse stories about monks in-game without pandaren being involved. This idea is also not very out of the question as far as expectations are concerned.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Again complaining about pandaren all over the monk class hall is like whining about dead guys with pasty skin being all over the DK class hall
    Sorry but your argument doesn't hold any value, honestly. Death Knights are, in its self a race of their own and combine with every race on Azeroth (...besides pandaren because blizzard knows how silly that would be)

and to add, you have missed the whole point of this thread. Its about branching out. Not about Pandaren. I'm fine with our Panda friends, but not all monks are panda's! The Class Order hall is about the class coming together, not pandaren coming together. Which our high council in our order, is all pandaren besides you unless you're a pandaren. Shouldn't be that way in my eyes. Because, lore wise they have taught others. Where are they? Where our the other students, or the Students that have become master? I know we aren't the only ones,they taught and I know we aren't the only monk order out there. This can be seen ingame and it can't be all chalked up to pandaren..
    Last edited by Therris; 2015-12-14 at 03:42 AM.

All the other playable races were just added so Blizzard could let you have choice. But they have all one thing in common, they all learned from Pandaren trainers in their starting zones. That's all there is to it, the vision of monk has been and always been Pandaren, every other race playing it was just going along for the ride and never part of the main stage of the class.

I applaud Blizzard on their integrity and keeping the monk theme pure.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    To be fair, if you did the quests every 10 levels you 'learned' how to use your techniques from the masters on the Peak of Serenity. Not all of these were pandaren. I hope to see more of them come Legion.

Edit: Took the time to look them up.
    Level 20 - Master Cheng, Pandaren
    Level 30 - Master Woo, Dwarf
    Level 40 - Master Kistane, Pandaren
    Level 50 - Master Yoon, Gnome
    Level 60 - Master Cheng, Blood Elf
    Level 70 - Master Tsang, Pandaren
    Level 80 - Master Hsu, Tauren
    Level 90 - Master Hight, Pandaren
    And they were all forgettable.
    Horde always.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    All the other playable races were just added so Blizzard could let you have choice. But they have all one thing in common, they all learned from Pandaren trainers in their starting zones. That's all there is to it, the vision of monk has been and always been Pandaren, every other race playing it was just going along for the ride and never part of the main stage of the class.

I applaud Blizzard on their integrity and keeping the monk theme pure.
    You missed the point, its about branching out upon the other races. Not making the class different for each race. I want like NPC Monk Humans, and NPC Monk Blood Elves, or NPC Forsaken Monks....I want quest givers, I want NOTABLE characters that aren't pandaren.

If they wanted to keep it pure, they could've made it Pandaren only, they can be both factions. Problem solved for the majority of the people that play this class. If you liked Pandaren, you would be a Panda, if you didn't like panda's you wouldn't be monk. No faction imbalance, because they can be on both factions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cwowtbang View Post
    And they were all forgettable.
    That is very true as well