Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and here's the rock they found on Mars with the supposed fossils:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001

Again, the evidence is inconclusive.
    Putin khuliyo

I like to refer to Phil Schneider as the last true American hero. But that would be false to say, he is the last true HUMAN hero.

I warn you, this is a Pandora's box.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think once you take into account the immense size of the universe and the fact that we just keep finding water all over the place it is simply unlikely that we are the only ones around. As for some government conspiracy... well, I wouldn't put any money on that one.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    You realize you just said that we can start talking about how realistic it is to have life on another planet only the day we find life on another planet?
    Depends how you want to use the word realistic. Something akin to a possibility or a statement of fact/true?

We have no reason to think that's actually happened, given how far we've prodded out into space thus far with our telescopes. We can see much, much further than could ever be conceivably traveled by spacecraft. And it certainly seems to me that a planet with life more intelligent than us (which would be necessary to accomplish more efficient space travel) would be visible from space.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

yes

10chars

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, i believe in life outside of our planet and solarsystem. Have they come here, proberly not. Would the goverment be able to cover it up, not a fucking chance xD If anything traveled between solarsystems, we would see it coming years in advance and a space ship coming near or to earth, would have a huge effect on satelites and climate.

I myself used to till I found GOD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    We have no reason to think that's actually happened, given how far we've prodded out into space thus far with our telescopes. We can see much, much further than could ever be conceivably traveled by spacecraft. And it certainly seems to me that a planet with life more intelligent than us (which would be necessary to accomplish more efficient space travel) would be visible from space.

Not really.

Most exoplanets cannot be directly imaged. Instead, we've seen stars get dimmer and we've seen their gravity "wobble" as planets pass in front. They're too distant for even our most powerful telescopes to view directly. We know they're there and we can infer a lot about them, but we can't see most of them. Not yet.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    "given how far we've prodded out into space thus far with our telescopes". And how far have we actually prodded? Couple of thousand nearest starsystems with the likelyhood that we can determine the planets are there just barely? That is nothing compared to the amount left in the galaxy, nevermind the universe. I think you people grossly underestimate the sizes.

Yes as Adamjensen said, we cant see shit yet. I really wonder where people get the idea that we can, when were stuck on this little mudball in the fringes of the galaxy.

Also I have not been impressed with the fermi paradox proposed, as it passes on a loaded question and assumptions, and can have a multiple answers. For instance, how could we actually detect an advanced civillization that was here passively observing us, while cloaked? If they have the tech to come here, they certainly would have the tech to hide themselves from us. Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2015-12-14 at 01:35 AM.

Why do people always claim the government is covering things up? It strikes me as odd. While the government certainly has a lot of authority to do things, the efficiency that it does those things isn't exactly amazing. I don't think keeping secrets is its strong point, nor should it be. I think these people watch to much men in black... I mean history channel? lol ^.^;

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want a space bro like Garrus

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there are intelligent beings elsewhere in the universe. Have any ever visited Earth? I don't know.

To use the quote from Contact (or at least a paraphrase):

If we are the only being in this universe, it seems like an awful waste of space.

There is an estimated 200 billion galaxies in the universe, with an estimated 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe. Personally to think that we (i.e. Humans) are the only 'intelligent' creatures in the universe is not only incredibly naive, but also incredibly ignorant as well. Now to say if we were actually visited by extraterrestrials is very possible, and could have happened in the past. However; if it ever did come out that there is indeed other life in the universe, it will too contradict religion as a a whole will will cause a lot of unrest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    To use the quote from Contact (or at least a paraphrase):

If we are the only being in this universe, it seems like an awful waste of space.

I always loved this quote, so very true.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Most exoplanets cannot be directly imaged. Instead, we've seen stars get dimmer and we've seen their gravity "wobble" as planets pass in front. They're too distant for even our most powerful telescopes to view directly. We know they're there and we can infer a lot about them, but we can't see most of them. Not yet.
    ^This. Direct imaging of exoplanets is actually very uncommon. What's observed is more often effects of these planets on their stars (variation of speed / light / etc) or other elements (anomalies in radio waves for example).

We know of a few thousands of exoplanets. Yet we only saw direcly a very, very tiny number of them.
    Oh, hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not deal with beliefs. Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that there are extraterrestrials, just looking at it from statistical point of view - but, as long as we don't have any evidence, I won't be going further into this.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Make it Liara, and I'm game. Or even Samara - love tough ladies. Aria would be a bit too much for me though...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    /thread
    /10

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe there is intelligent life on a different planet somewhere... but they're probably too far away for us to ever come into contact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    do yall believe in extraterrestrials

I'm going to answer this the best way I can, then make food as I am starving now, and I think I am going to make a Deep Fried Cheese and Bacon sandwich.

Do I believe in...

... Alien Life: The possibility that there is life on other worlds in our Galaxy is very high.

... Alien Intelligence: Likewise the fact that many species on Earth have high degrees of sentience, means that if life exists elsewhere than the probability is very high there are other intelligence in our Galaxy.

... Alien Civilization: Tricky, in our Universe definitely, if life is possible elsewhere than there is most certainly advanced civilizations out there. However, on a more local level, the odds reduce much quicker the Earth has had proven life on it for 3+billion years humans have been here for less than a 200k, and civilization is only 12k years old. Simply put, life is easy, hell complicated brains and some level of self awareness are easy, but making civilizations, that's the hard part.

...Technological Alien Civilization: Our Technological civilization is around 200/300 years old, and really has only been visible to the universe for the last 130 years. We had several points in these last 200 years where humans could have easily lost civilization completely due to natural disasters, and artificial ones. In someways we are lucky to have made it this far. So we must consider we are the average technological society, which means any Alien intelligence has to figure out how to survive War, Over Population, and Environmental Impact, just to survive, I should point out Humans have yet to solves these issues.

... Type 1 Alien Civilizations: Ok, say, just say we solve all the issues, our hypothetical civilization has made it through the birth of what is commonly considered a Type 1 Civilization, they have rudimentary space travel, they have mastered their home environment. They utilize the majority of the available energy of their home world. Kudos, because Humans may never get there. So far, we have yet to have any evidence that it is even possible to achieve this. Odds have now shrunk a by a large margin. This is when we start playing the Law of large Number theory. There is a chance, as such I will say yes, there is at least one in the Universe, and possibly 18 per Galaxy, depending on number of Habitable planets.

... Type 2 Alien Civilizations: So if there is any chance of a Type 1, then it is reasonable that given enough time, they will achieve Type 2 status. Since a Type 2 requires gathering the total energy output of the Home star, having solved fast travel between solar systems is not required. However, most fictional Space faring civilizations are shown at the type 2 level. (ie Star Trek), so on a limb here I'll say it's not common, but every Type 1 has a small chance to make it to type 2 if they have enough time that is, since we have yet to experience the issues associated with these types of civilizations it is all a guess at this time in history.

... Type 3 Alien Civilizations: odds are no. A type 3 Alien civilization has mastered the energy output of their Home Galaxy. Star Wars is an example of what a Type 3 would be like. So far looking across the Universe seeking evidence of artificial heat regulation in a galaxy has come up empty. We have looked for evidence and have come up empty. The reasons why a type 3 is unlikely, are vast and varied, for starters they would have to solve the one puzzle fiction writer have given every space faring civilization. The ability to conveniently travel between stars. As of yet, we have not solved this riddle, it may not be solvable. So as of yet we can't even give odds that such a civilization can exist.

... Star faring Alien Civilization, that has visited Earth at any point in the Earths history: Since we don't even need a Type 1 to be space-faring, I have to consider the odds of a Space probe from a civilization like our own. The thing about this, you don't need to solve the riddle of convenient space travel. You just have to lobe metal and Carbon fiber towards the Earth at a high rate of velocity. I will say that there is definitely odds on this, and with Large Number theory I would say it is likely that some time over the last 4 billion years a Robotic Probe from an Intelligent Alien Life has made it to the Earth. Although it is still very low odds.

... Alien Visitation to the Earth: ok, so time to one up it again. If the riddle for convenient star travel is solvable, then yes at some point if such a race lives in the Milky Way Galaxy, that they have visited our world. However, might have only been long enough to test the atmosphere, water, and soil. You see being able to observe from Earth planets that may be able support life has gone from theory to practice, in a very short amount of time we will be able to mark worlds that humans might one day be able to live on. However the catch is each planet will be toxic to our life (long essay as to why), although we might get lucky and find a world which we could live on if we solve star travel. The same would be true of any Alien Star faring civilization, sure they may come to look, but if they can't move in, they will leave. Odds are they wont comeback, because the world would be unsafe for them.

... UFO human interaction: Not likely. No specific evidence for it, and basically the Ancient Astronaut concept belittles the achievements of humans.