Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Question What is your overall score for the personal story of GW2?

Greetings champions of Tyria! Good to see you again!

So, I've played the main story of GW2 3 times now. It's a little boring nowadays, but it is still worth a go if I'm bored or something like that.

But I want to know: What do you think about the personal story of GW2?

I give it a 8.0 out of ten, because some characters are redeemable, like Tybalt, for an example.

And you?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    6/10 got a bit tedious quite a few times during it. Once the whole Claw Island part came in I was bored pretty much til the end.

2/10. It's fairly drawn out with a lot of dull parts. I did like the variety of gameplay introduced in the PS but the actual stroy part left a lot to be desired. VO work was poor and dialogue was cringe inducing.

I also felt the drama was largely false. Such as when a companion "dies" in the story. I barely knew him, we did like a dozen or so missions and now I am suppose to weep? Why? It's so contrived and false.

Then the story saddled me with the most uninteresting person in the world for 40 hours. WHAT.

Terrible.

It's hard to judge the story overall. The Asura and Charr 10/20/30 stories are good I thought, but Human was bland, Sylvari too, and Norn had a lot of Stupid to it. Level 40 is just a sidequest that is of no importance. Claw Island/ Recruitment/ Return To Claw has a good feel to it, but it's too drawn out for me. Then the pact quests, there's some good stuff mixed in with the bad, but it's just a very drawn out experience with a narrator (Trehearne) that comes up lacking.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Everything up to Claw Island geta a 6/10. Everything after that point gets a 2/10. It's very cliched all the way through to level 80, with tons of tropes. The season 2/HoT storylines are way better, but still stupid at times, so they get a 7.5/10.

2/10

It jumps around all over the damn place and is very disjointed at times. It also has a bad tendency to introduce characters only to immediately kill them off. Also, by the end, all the credit of the work your character did goes to freaking Trahearne who basically stood around and did dick all most of the time. VO is pretty bad and the actual dialogue itself is pretty cringe worthy at times. The individual race stuff up to level 20-30ish isn't quite as bad, but everything from 30+ is pretty terrible.

It's a very convoluted, dissatisfying experience when it's all said and done.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2015-12-17 at 09:53 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's quite scary to see how negative most of you see the main story

I kinda enjoyed it, but maybe its because I enjoy everything in this game

7+ Year Old Account
    For me its 7 out of 10. I have enjoyed my personal story on multiple characters.

Lvl 31 atm (first char). So far I would give the story and questing 2/10. The story might have been enjoyable if I didn't have to chase all these waypoints, points of uninterest and stuff all the time and spending half my game time running.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    It's quite scary to see how negative most of you see the main story

I kinda enjoyed it, but maybe its because I enjoy everything in this game
    I guess I can see how someone with ADD might find the story good considering how much it jumps around and can't seem to make up its mind on what it wants to do.

Not saying you have ADD, just pointing how how BAD and random/disjointed the story gets at times.

Deleted
    Pretty darn bad imo.
    But then again I have't found any of the GW2 story enjoyable or even subjectively good story telling.

15+ Year Old Account
    2/10. It's pretty horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was pretty bad to be honest, like horribly bad. I'm surprised you like it so much because I always tell people since day 1 if you want a good coherent story then pretty much anything but GW2.

Since I'm nearing of burnout on WoW after playing WoD a lot for the past months ima fire up GW2 tonight and see if I got my monies worth, I'm willing to bet the story will not deliver in this regard because its been total shit thus far.

However, from the couple videos I youtube'd a while ago the story seems to be much better, one thing in particular I liked was the character you playing actually talks. I love that in any game when your character replies to stuff, but idk if that was cuz the guy was playing sylvari or what.

Deleted
    It's been too long to accurately recall the main story, though I think I enjoyed my first playthrough. Keep your expectations low and things dont end up half bad.

The follow up patches were not a success for me. I absolutely hate all of my 'friends' that they assigned to me.

The HoT story, despite still being stuck to my bff's, was much better. The storytelling overal made a huge step forward imo. It was a lot more serious and even a bit dark at times. If only it wasn't so rushed because that was really my only gripe with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    It's been too long to accurately recall the main story, though I think I enjoyed my first playthrough. Keep your expectations low and things dont end up half bad.

The follow up patches were not a success for me. I absolutely hate all of my 'friends' that they assigned to me.

The HoT story, despite still being stuck to my bff's, was much better. The storytelling overal made a huge step forward imo. It was a lot more serious and even a bit dark at times. If only it wasn't so rushed because that was really my only gripe with it.
    I initially thought I enjoyed the story, but then realized I actually liked the game play that surrounded the story. Story felt drawn out after claw Island, but I liked the ending so it's at 6/10 for me, probably again carried by the game play.

5/10. Getting to the Claw Island part on an alt gives me the urge to stab myself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumaku13 View Post
    I initially thought I enjoyed the story, but then realized I actually liked the game play that surrounded the story. Story felt drawn out after claw Island, but I liked the ending so it's at 6/10 for me, probably again carried by the game play.
    Playing it since the reshuffle, the last stretch in Orr is soooo drawn out. It's a shame since I like many of the "parts" of it, but it just keeps going...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The individual stories for the races are pretty neat, but I felt like we just sort of got thrown into the thing with the giant zombie dragon. He seems like a pretty generic "grr I'm the big bad fear me" character vs something like that Scarlet chick, who I apparently started way too late to ever see in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The storytelling, IMO, is by far the weakest part of Guild Wars 2.

Most of the other elements of the game are top notch : the art, the core combat gameplay, the map design, the gathering and crafting, the character progression (gear, skills, ability selection, etc).

But the stories and their presentation are incredibly dull and cheesy. Not only the original Personal Story arcs that shipped with the game, but even all the stuff they added later ... especially the "new group of heroes" around whom they based their Living Story last year ... ugh ... can't recall their names ... there was a big lunk Nord, a child prodigy midget, a couple of angsty wizard girls with relationship problems... I gave up after chapter 3, it was just making me cringe.

So yeah, 1* out of 5 for me. But the rest of the game is superb, which makes up for it.

The first couple chapters of the Charr story had so much going for it, only to be supplanted by your order's plot and eventually the Pact vs Zhaitan war. It built up a trainload of expectations and at first appeared to be a fantastic story arc: you have this fledgling Roman Empire/Viking-like entity set in the midst of an industrial revolution trying to settle in the remains of a long dead kingdom, who's people are so distressed that not even death can stop them from haunting their murderers. The clans are divided, and the an ongoing perpetual war against the remnants of said kingdom is only further splitting the divide, and relations with the other human kingdoms are breaking down too. You have a great plot premise as well; your a simple soldier in the ranks of a Charr warband acting as one of the countless agents of the empire, a tiny cog in a unimaginably vast war machine spanning the continent, lending the story a strong Gaunt's Ghosts vibe, along with Rytlock being the Ciphas Cain of Tyria!

All this potential is completely forgotten by level 30; your ripped away from the warband and thus they never show up again; Rytlock pretty much dupes his tribune status and becomes a guildmaster, the Ebon Hawk-Iron Legion conflict is wrapped up hastily within a vigil quest with no definitive conclusion, the Flame Legion are set up as major antagonists and never heard from again, and your dad gets thrown in jail under the implication that he'd come back later to help you fight the Flame Legion (only for - again - to be completely forgotten once the order plot takes over). They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot at it's finest people!