Priest in a nut shell

Anyone else feel like this is how it's been.

Shadow: Goes through ups and downs of being strong but most the time is weak or sub par.

Holy: Has been bad for most of it's life, has a few days hardly anyone remembers.

Disc: constantly changing and has a fair amount of Overpowered days with par in between.

yer that sounds on par PvE wise

you forgot the PvP dynamics though

PvP is where priests shine. Disc had its moment to shine in raids, and I would say they are required for high end prog raiding.

Farm content - disc loses its luster.

PvP - shadow does amazing. I have so much fun melting people, they are in the top 3 as far as RBG DPS goes.
    PvP - Holy does well with someone who knows how to play it. I suppose that goes for most things, but especially here.
    PvP - Disc pretty good. On par with other healers. You would bring them for the utility, not their throughput (i put shields in the utilitycatagory since it is not a throughput heal)
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    PvP is where priests shine. Disc had its moment to shine in raids, and I would say they are required for high end prog raiding.

Farm content - disc loses its luster.
    I am not sure we are talking about the same game. A lot of guilds on farm content dropped down to 3-4 healers bringing 1-2 disc.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...2&type=healing
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...7&type=healing

And saying PvP is where priest shine is a is a inaccurate generalization. Holy doesn't shine in pvp.

PvP - Holy does well with someone who knows how to play it. I suppose that goes for most things, but especially here.

Is statement is completely pulled out of thin air. Holy had like a season in MoP where people were playing it. Nothing before that and nothing now. Have you looked at the ladder this expansion?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/leaderboards/3v3

PvP - Disc pretty good. On par with other healers. You would bring them for the utility, not their throughput (i put shields in the utilitycatagory since it is not a throughput heal)

Are you talking about RBGs? By definition everyone is utility but when people talk about utility in wow they are usually talking about spells like freedom, spirit walkers, CC. Absorbs are just discs method of keeping people alive and in the healing category. Sorry, no one is bring a disc in 3v3 for utility,,, they need a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post

Holy: Has been bad for most of it's life, has a few days hardly anyone remembers.
    Let's not forget that Holy was *the* spec for vanilla. And TBC was alright, I mean, we weren't on stacking shamans level good but we weren't considered dreadful. And wrath, with the entry of Disc, was the begining of our decline. I remember T7 fondly with resto druids and holy priests spamming OP WG/CoH.

It was really after T9 were the decline properly began, and as people started to understand and appreciate Disc, Holy's value was lost.

We aren't even a really bad spec in comparison even now, it's just Disc has been consistantly stronger and had it's own niche. I honestly feel like Blizzard should just make one spec a DPS spec, because having two healing specs in one class will always kill the other one. It doesn't matter if it's holy or disc, as long as one is stronger, the other will die. It's natural for most players to play the spec which is 1) easier and 2) more conjusive for results.

Deleted
    And to add to that players who like the healing gameplay in pve (talking bout that minigame midbottom of the screen with these small rectangulars u constantly mouseover hittin keys) can now easily level and play on every specc class is more powerfull. Doesnt really change much in their gameplay (which is why maybe the changes in disc or holy paly sound interesting if not in the correct way). Holy priests got a difficult way into raids or finding a high end progressing guilds-- Just look at how poor all healing threads are (specially the holy priest one) and u can understand that few players got actual reasons to stay up to date and get informed about every tweakn to vastly improving their kit and armament individually. Sometimes healers look like a souless soup and is the role where "bring the class not the player" rule most applies.
    Only reason i started play holy is because i had an easier way into lfg since there would always be a better geared shadow or disc and well not really ez to bring two of them in a pug. And tbh i really enjoy the holy gameplay so much more than the other two speccs. Its just sad it is kinda weak and u can even get decent logs with minimum experience...
    Last edited by mmoc0e2bb9485a; 2015-12-15 at 08:39 PM.

Priest in a nutshell is the stepchild that can't have nice things because the parents (dev's) love their other children more!

Wish Blizz would actually make SP competitive in dps to other classes, instead of constantly being in the lower end of the dps bracket in comparison...

People often say "Hybrids should be doing less than pure dps classes"... can't get more hybrid than the Druid, yet balance druids do amazing dps [100-140k (Mythic Zakuum)]... likewise enhancement shamans as well [110-170k]. Shadow Priests average 80k...

Often regret being a main on this priest now [used to be a main healer in prior expansions] just seeing SP's being shat on constantly.

[I don't give a damn about PvP so don't say "SP's are amazing in pvp!"...]
    Last edited by Daedius; 2015-12-22 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    yet balance druids do amazing dps [100-140k (Mythic Zakuum)]... likewise enhancement shamans as well [110-170k]. Shadow Priests average 80k...
    You are comparing a rank 2 (170k DPS) Enhacement Shaman with a rank 2250 (80k DPS) Shadow Priest. Either you are extremely undergeared or are just playing very bad.
    Seriiw | set sail for fail (Blackrock-EU)

I just got my priest to 100 and im surprised how this the dmg really is. No really good cd's or anything. What a boring class to play

Quote Originally Posted by Seriv View Post
    You are comparing a rank 2 (170k DPS) Enhacement Shaman with a rank 2250 (80k DPS) Shadow Priest. Either you are extremely undergeared or are just playing very bad.
    World of Logs: Mythic Zakuum

SP's averaging around the 80k mark... I'm personally doing around 88-92k ... so don't be so bloody presumptuous in calling me bad. The class generally sucks in comparison to others.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2015-12-22 at 11:23 PM.

SP's averaging around the 80k mark... I'm personally doing around 88-92k ... so don't be so bloody presumptuous in calling me bad. The class generally sucks in comparison to others.

Welcome to priest. If you're not disc, there is the door.

You're correct, but your point would be better received if you compared the averages of the two classes, not the outlier of one to the average of another.

Deleted

When I read your post, I thought it was from last August before 6.2.2 with shitty rings and very long fight duration and before our huge buff. You're complaining about our ST DPS and you set the example of enhancement shamans (probably the worst overall dd after ferals). On zakuun, sp is one of the strongest and most consistant dps if the fight is long enough. Priests have a nearly constant damage so, extrem values are very close to the average and top values seem bad compared with other top logs.
    It also means that if you play correctly you should be able to get a good ranking. On the contrary, arcanes mages often depend of their doom nova procs in order to get well ranked among mages.
    Also, you should use warcraftlogs (can't post the link) because most guilds are using it (top guilds are often keeping their logs private at least for progression unfortunately) and the empirical distribution is more accurate.
    Btw, with a few mythic gear pieces and the heroic class trinket, you should be able to reach the 100k mark if you play properly thanks to the +10ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    Shadow: Goes through ups and downs of being strong but most the time is weak or sub par.
    Disc: constantly changing and has a fair amount of Overpowered days with par in between.
    More precisely:

- Shadow: bad design, always nerfed.

- Holy: bad design, suffers a lot due to homogenization. It used to be most versatile healer who has tools to every game situation possbile. Years come, and most tools the spec had, now handed to all healers; but the problem is, other healers still have their own unique tools, while most unique tools Holy had is now presented to every other healing spec. So, basically, there is no reason to play Holy now, because you can play either of Restos instead and have the same toolkit plus a lot of fun stuff.

Disc: bad design, always OP - because absorb mechanics in this game are always OP.

In general, I seriously question Blizzard's ability to properly design priests since Cata. To me, it looks like no Blizzard devs play priests of any spec, thus simply they do not understand what fixes class requires.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though