Thread: cold remedies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Stand on your head and smack yourself in the face. Trust me it works.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Fisherman's Friends, Solpadeine and/or Beecham's Cold & Flu (Blackcurrent for me, the Lemon flavour is disgusting).

Those are what I would use in the UK, anyway. For some reason I can't explain, I usually get a bad head cold around the end of every November; but I've dodged that bullet this year. Above all of those, however; I'd prioritize water and rest. Those aforementioned remedies are, for me, what I would take if rest was not an option; needing to work, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I find that sleep is the best remedy. Drink lots of fluids- Pedialyte or Gatorade will do. Wrap yourself in a thick blanket and just rest/sleep as much as possible.

If you have the energy, workout. Light workouts are great at combating colds and such.
    This is pretty much the same thing I do. Drinking lots of water/Gatorade is one of the best things you can do. I also stop by the drugstore and pick out whatever brand of cough drops has a shitload of vitamin C.

The only medicine that's really effective for me is Zicam. If I start taking it when I realize I'm getting a cold, it definitely helps. But then that sort of thing probably has different effects on different people, so that's probably more of a personal experience.

And yeah, sleeping a lot is good too. I only get a cold (or sick at all, for that matter) about once a year, and it's pretty consistently around the time we transition from winter to spring weather. It always hits me really hard, but since I'm lucky enough that it only happens once a year, I typically call in a sick day or two at work so I can stay in bed (and not spread it to others).
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-12-17 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Also, remember:
    If you treat a cold, you will be sick for seven days.
    If you don't, it'll be gone in a week.
    This right here is the best advice. Colds are viral, you're not going to do anything to really shorten it in any meaningful way. Vitamin C / Zinc etc is all BS. Save your money, treat the symptoms that are most bothersome and get on with your life as best you can. Rest + Fluids are good regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Also, remember:
    If you treat a cold, you will be sick for seven days.
    If you don't, it'll be gone in a week.
    This might be one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

A week is 7 days, and treating the cold is going to alleviate symptoms.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get cold very often. When I do, hot herbal teas come in very handy. I drink them all the time even when I'm not cold though.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.