[TV] Childhood's End

So now that all 3 parts have been shown.

What did everyone think about the show? I had never read the book or even heard about it until this show.

I thought it was pretty great. Didn't end quite the way I expected but it was very well done. Every night the two hours just flew by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got done watching the first part. I haven't read the book, but so far the miniseries is awesome.

Not going to lie, I LOL'ed pretty damn hard at the end of part 1.

It's a pretty terrifying ending lol

I really liked it though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post

Have only seen the first episode but the book has a incredible beautiful ending - literally childhoods end, out of the cradle
    Last edited by mmoc20f115c1ec; 2015-12-17 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Just got done watching the first part. I haven't read the book, but so far the miniseries is awesome.

Not going to lie, I LOL'ed pretty damn hard at the end of part 1.
    I was actually shocked at the end of part 1. I was not expecting that.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post

The part with the music.. I thought that was really touching.

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Have only seen the first episode but the book has a incredible beautiful ending - literally childhoods end, out of the cradle
    The children join the overmind and any everything else from the old humanity disappears forever, along with the entire planet.
    How good is the book ? I'm guessing way better than the series ?

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    I was actually shocked at the end of part 1. I was not expecting that.

Yeah, that actually sent a chill up my spine, and that's not easy top accomplish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The children join the overmind and any everything else from the old humanity disappears forever, along with the entire planet.
    How good is the book ? I'm guessing way better than the series ?
    The book is one of the best of A.C. Clarke work. The part in the show where Jan gets to Karellen's home world is heavily edited in comparison to the book and could have easily taken up a whole episode. On the whole it is a pretty close adaptation, there are of course a few modifications to make it translate to TV better, But considering this was based on a book over 60 years old it has translated to the TV exceptionally well.

As a massive sci-fi fan, and have not long finished listening to the unabridged audio book this was a fantastic treat to watch, and I really hope that this is the direction that the syfy channel is going in the future.

Just finished it a month later, I gotta say I was really impressed by this. Even more so than all sci-fis shows in the last few years, including the recent ones.

Frankly all of Clarke's work should receive this kind of treatment, it was really well done.

Don't know how the book was, but I would've been really interested to find out more about this utopia, more details, like, do they all become vegan? and why would they ride horses, that's not really civilized or advanced. Little stuff like that, + I would have really liked for Jan to ask the deepest scientific questions before he died...

I liked the series, but the ending felt very rushed. why couldn't humanity just nuke the damn kids at the top of the mountain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    I liked the series, but the ending felt very rushed. why couldn't humanity just nuke the damn kids at the top of the mountain.
    You clearly didnt understood the story at all. "the kids" where humans last evolutionary step to a higher being....

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You clearly didnt understood the story at all. "the kids" where humans last evolutionary step to a higher being....
    i understood the story clearly, however, lets be honest here; Humans are extremely selfish, do you think humanity would sacrifice itself to become a "part" of a higher being?