Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    My experience has shown that it's mostly "english" people who do those mistakes. Other peeps, who learned english by starting with grammar and spelling, do such mistakes rarely.

In fact, because this is international forum, "english" people SHOULD try harder to write properly. To make it easier for international audience to understand. And to not teach them incorrect spelling. I remember I kept using "should of" and "must of" (instead of should have and must have) like a retard because I didn't know better and I saw many people writing like that.
    I remember there was a word I always wrote wrong until someone corerected me, don't remember which though. I saw it written like this all the time so it had to be right, turns out I was wrong in that assumption.
    I do have problems to understand native english speakers sometimes, even in text. I don't know all the slang terms and if I look it up on urban dictionary it will with a 90% chance be some kind of weird sex practice.
    My common mistakes are typos like: becasue, jsut or can'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    their r more important things to worry about, no?
    That's a bad premise to go by because it means as long as there is a bigger issue you are not going to care about anything.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2015-12-20 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrah View Post
    You can be a revolutionary and have your entire career ruined as a result. I'm also so sick of seeing comments from your typical ghetto dweller with English as their main language in full broken English. I'm in no way a grammar Nazi. This is absolute basic English.
    In the world we currently live in.. This is your issue? This is the battle you choose? This is just about as important as the damn red holiday cups at Starbucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone on the internet is from the anglosphere, or exceptional at spelling and grammar in a secondary language, you're simply going to have to get used to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    It's beacuse native speakers usually type the words in the way they are pronounced. "Your", "you're", as well as "their", "they're", "there" are pronounced almost in the same way, so for them it doesn't matter which one they type - as long as it sounds the same it's fine for them. They'll know by the context.

The problem starts when they start communicating with people for whom english is not a native language. They usually learn it with emphasis on grammar, which is more important for them than the pronounciation. So when they see misspelled word they get confused.
    Sorry to say but this is pure bullshit. Most of us were taught the basics from when we were 5 that's what schools are for. They are compulsory to attend but somehow it sounds like you skipped it.

I say you're and your (yore, for that matter) the same way. Sometimes I make that mistake. I know the difference, but I type fast and sometimes my fingers type the wrong form of a word from my inner monologue before the non-composing-right-now part of my brain catches it..

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Honestly I see more people from the US making typos or wrong grammar in general than other places...If I see a word spelled wrong often I tend to use the wrong spelling myself even though I know the correct one.

Also, who the fuck cares as long as you understand what is being said.

I'm more bothered by people who don't use basics and not using a capital letters in conversations... :P

Deleted
    In my experience, non-native English speakers tend to get this right rather than wrong. I can't help it, but when I read 'your' when 'you're' is meant, it degrades the writers' intelligence a bit in my own mind.

Somewhat related, as we're talking about similar and often incorrectly substituted words, is 'then' instead of 'than'. Want your words to read like those of a gibbering twat? Swap those words out. Worryingly, it seems more common than the correct usage, at least on forums and comment sections.

Not too much an issue for people that say that if English isn't their main language... but I find it ridiculous that people from England, or anyone where English is their main language, so often use the wrong words.

Their, there, they're
    It's, its
    Your, you're
    Affect, effect
    Then, than

etc.

But my absolute pet hate of reading off anyone, with regards to the forums... zero usage of paragraphs, just a big block of text.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2015-12-20 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Not everyone on the internet is from the anglosphere, or exceptional at spelling and grammar in a secondary language, you're simply going to have to get used to it.
    Even just a cursory glance at social media demonstrates that it's terrible among native speakers here in the USA.

I learned the differences between your/you're, their/there/they're etc. early in grade school as a native English speaker. I don't think it's too much to expect native speakers to know grade school material.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2015-12-20 at 07:07 PM.

i remember people making fun of me when i started to learn english. don't be one of those! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Sorry to say but this is pure bullshit. Most of us were taught the basics from when we were 5 that's what schools are for. They are compulsory to attend but somehow it sounds like you skipped it.
    I started learning english in school when I was 14. I am not native english speaker.

I'm pretty sure that people in UK or USA are not taught grammar or punctuation when they are 5. First letters, then simple words and sentences. I was taught to read in my language when I was 6-7. Besides, what's the difference - everyone learns first to speak (when they are 3-4) in their native language, and then they learn to read and write. At that point grammar, punctuation and spelling are more like... formalisms than real useful knowledge. For example construction of a sentence - by the time it's taught in school everyone subconsciusly knows how to build sentences in their own language. When you learn foreign language you learn to speak AND read/write at the same time. Knowledge of grammar is important not only to properly write but also to speak and understand what others say.

Also, even when you are taught grammar in school it doesn't mean you will keep the knowledge and follow it.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

The "would of" pisses me off oh so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabberly View Post
    The "would of" pisses me off oh so much more.
    Again, at least where I am, "would of" would be said "would've" and sound the same.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

There are worse grammar mistakes to get on about besides your and you're. Ones that you don't actually have to pay extra close attention to when reading in order to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Because language evolves over time and changes.

And things with ' are outdated and also anoying to type.
    How 'bout (means about, using an apostrophe) no. The kind of slang mentioned in this OP, "u", "your" instead of "you're" isn't just lazy it is incorrect slang as well. It would be "u're". It is pronounced "yoo r" in a vocal sense, whilst "your" is pronounced as "yohr".

Source for pronounciation on "your": http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/your

Source for pronounciation on "you're": http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/you-re?s=t

Stop using the idea evolving languages and things being "outdated" as an excuse for poor use of language. Be it slang or actually formally written language. You are just fucking lazy, nothing else.

I am norwegian btw, English is not my native language. I also have had to read swedish, danish and icelandic. Not to mention some german. I am fucking tired of reading the slang and much more annoyed at people who use it incorrectly. An apostrophe is about as complex as a comma. Almost the same mark, only in different positions. It is also a must in language to pronounce multiples of a word like "bus" or even sentences involving names (regarding ownership). It's a basic concept in most languages. It's not difficult or obsolete. Your laziness is obsolete. Hence why you use language incorrectly.

Evolvement, my arse (yes, this is british English, ass is an american term).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    their r more important things to worry about, no?
    Communicating correctly is about about as important as things can get in a world were a single cultural misunderstanding can cause wars. Imagine what the world will be like if 50 years on in time politicians use slangs such "your" when they mean "you are" and half of those listening is confused as to what the fuck he/she meant due to terrible communication?

Laziness is NEVER an excuse. Ever.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2015-12-21 at 10:06 AM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.