Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Im just here waiting for a few people from the other thread to show up talking about how you should be able to abort up to the second they are being born.
    Nobody sane believes that thus why it's illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Mother forced a miscarriage when she was over 32 weeks pregnant by taking poison because she 'couldn't deal with the stress' is jailed for two and a half years
    Natalie Towers called paramedics who found baby in the toilet of her home
    The baby boy, later called Luke, was terminated between 32 and 34 weeks
    The legal limit for licensed abortions in the UK is 24 weeks
    She cried in the dock as a judge jailed her two years and six months

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3ubJVhju4

I don't get why she is being jailed. I don't see the difference between this and regular abortion so I'm a bit confused. Can someone clue me in?

I think she needs psychological help not jail time imo
    I can give you a German point of view. The problem that you're not seeing is that she's technically killed another human being, thus is guilty of actual manslaughter, or in this case apparently even premeditated murder if you're daring. You don't see it, because normal people don't think about these concepts, but when do people become human? Biologists might say as soon as conception, since genetics basically takes over from there and defines you as a human tiny being. Christians might say at birth or perhaps at christening, who knows. Other religions might have other points in your life cycle at which they recognise you as a fully fledged human being. For law, it's a bit more problematic. If you define a human being as soon as conception, then every abortion is murder. If you acknowledge it as late as actual birth, then you're ignoring the fact that babies in the womb do have perception of the outside world already, as rudimentary as that may be. They are living beings that can hear, science supports that.

So, what law does in most countries is define a compromising state, a fetal state where you're still pretty much a worm but very close to resembling something human. And that state is the point at which you legally become "human" and suddenly have all these crazy rights, like the right to life and not being harmed. Basic human rights that you simply have because you're human. After that stage, the mother is no longer in control over whether or not you're convenient enough to decide whether or not to carry you out. At that stage, only serious medical reasons can justify an abortion, like the life of the mother being in jeopardy or the life of another sibling in the womb etc.

It's all very complicated and I totally glossed over a few hundred pages worth of information on this, but that's the essence of what you're confused about, I think.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's simply impractical and the court should be embarrassed for giving her jail time at all. Instead of using averages the courts should make rulings on case per case basis. The sentence appears half-arsed anyway there's no conviction in it akin to the law's view on abortion - it's a very grey and confusing area indeed.
    I think you may be brain damaged. Murder is a crime. I know for a fact you are a troll now. And a bad one at that. You will NEVER be Jaylock. Stop trying.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Nobody sane believes that thus why it's illegal
    I would hope no one would but the last thread we were in had 2 posters claiming that. They said its their body and you cant tell them what to do. I countered that the baby is alive at that point too and they just called it a parasite and called me a control freak.

I would hope no one would but the last thread we were in had 2 posters claiming that. They said its their body and you cant tell them what to do. I countered that the baby is alive at that point too and they just called it a parasite and called me a control freak.
    Yes... I think those person have lost touch with reality.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    MMOC has numerous certifiable members, it's why you shouldn't translate what's said here as relevant to reality

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Why would you not jail someone who did something criminal ? Because she is a wymn?
    It is the old "OH I AM A PSYCHO AND I DO NOT HAVE TO STAND UP FOR WHAT I DID"-trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    "Regular abortion" is generally undertaken when the fetus can't live outside the mother. In this case, it was a viable human. As a pro-choice person myself, I don't condone abortion once the fetus is viable. You have ~6 months to make that decision. If you don't pull the trigger beforehand, you're having a baby. Also as stated in your OP, her actions were explicitly illegal. Not sure what your question really is.
    This completely. At this point you can make a legitimate argument the kid is alive and is a person and couldn't be removed via c-sect and survive unlike a child in the first 20 weeks.

Too bad she's not from the U.S. so she could receive a proper sentence, and not a lenient 2 year sentence for the crime of murder.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ok with jailing someone for aborting past age of viability without a valid medical reason ( like gonna kill me if I have it). At 8 months it's damn close to being fully formed, and has a good chance of surviving outside the womb in an ICU

Some babies survive 5-6 months so why aren't those parents jailed? I think this is a very hypocritical ruling. I thought abortion was all about women taking back control of their bodies and getting the ultimate choice instead of the state putting sanctions on her uterus?
    Imagine the 24 week line as the consent form, which was generally agreed upon by statistics. 22 weeks is the earliest a fetus is ever really viable, and that is an EXTREMELY low chance. After 24 weeks, it becomes a coin flip or better.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Yeaaahh... if she wanted to stop being pregnant, she should've thought of it months before, not potentially days before she was going to go into labor.

If she had mental health issues, I hope she gets some help.

Deleted
    bitch should be charged with manslaughter

7+ Year Old Account
    Should have come to Canada we have no abortion laws here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Should have come to Canada we have no abortion laws here.
    That's a really dark thing to say. You believe an 8+ month old fetus should be aborted? Best bet is to find a therapist or even a free clinic to consult and help you through the rest of the term since she cited " pregnancy stress" as cause for her actions and once the time comes I believe during labor you can request a c-section. Which while still extremely hard on the mom is still a lot easier on the body than natural birth. Then once all is said and done make the final decision to put the kid up for adoption or hell even leave the kid on a church/firestation doorstep. Any of those options instead of just trying to flush it. Jesus.

I'm a father at 25. Maybe that's why I can't fathom why anyone would do that.

I'm pro-life but I also agree that if the birth of the child would be harmful to the mother or the baby then something should be done. If she could have proved that then fine otherwise it sounds like she got cold feet and just decided the baby was a problem that could almost literally be swept under the rug.

This is sad but also coincidental considering yesterday or so we were discussing what if it had been an 8.5 month old fetus.

Pretty much the same stance. Abortion is all fine and well but everything needs a limit. I mean seriously, I have a nephew that was delivered with no issue and has no health issue and he was less far along than that.

Only 2 years and 6 months? That's wrong

While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does this remind me of South Park....