Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Music] Marilyn Manson

How many of you listen to/have listened to marilyn manson? I've been a huge fan in the past but I don't like his new work.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    How many of you listen to/have listened to marilyn manson? I've been a huge fan in the past but I don't like his new work.
    I was a fan in his early days up through the Antichrist Superstar days lost my attention when he went glam. I have seen them in concert 3-4 times I have 2 guitar picks and an autographed part of the bible he tore up during the one show.

I was huge into Marilyn Manson in the late 90s/early 2000s. I actually got into him during Portrait of an American Family (Get Your Gunn is great), and I saw him live in the Dead to the World tour, which was the controversial one around Columbine where people wanted to ban him.

I even bought his book which was very well written, and impressed with his interview in Bowling for Columbine, which became downright hilarious because it was contrasted with an interview with Britney Spears.

I liked Mechanical Animals, but haven't bought anything since then. He said on that album that rock is deader than dead, and combined with the glam, androgynous look he went for on that album, I thought he was being a little bit facetious....15 years later, I'm not so sure, I'm not sure I've listened to a mainstream "rock" album since then.

Deleted
    You could have posted this in the metal thread.

That said I love all of Manson's quality material and when he was on the ball his live show was incredible.
    His shitty content not so much.

Pale Emperor is better than people think, much better than anything he's done for a good many years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like his stuff. Like most fans I lean towards his earlier content, with his newer stuff (Mobscene onwards) being extremely hit & miss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    You could have posted this in the metal thread.
    They'd probably chase him out with pitchforks.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've not bother with any of his newer stuff. Not out of protect or anything I just never hear it. That said, I did like some of his 90s stuff.

I just got into Manson here in the past couple of years, and I really dig his stuff. All of it. It's cool if you don't like the newer stuff, but I still like it. Eat Me, Drink Me has a shitload of songs about relationships and self-destruction of said relationships. It's pretty much the entire album's theme. High End of Low has some good tracks too, esp. Wight Spider and Blank and White. LOVE The Pale Emperor, even if Third Day of a Seven Day Binge has a plagiarized guitar riff. Warship My Wreck is a great song, and the music video for Deep Six is one of the better attempts at imitating Lynchian surrealism. I just wish he'd do even more acoustic covers and another live album before he retires (if he does anyways). For any old school Manson fans that haven't heard his newer stuff in a while, I'd suggest giving this a listen. Maybe you'll like it, but it's not as hard as his older stuff I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrimnviTzQ

TBH, I actually haven't heard anything of his at all since Holy Wood.

Deleted
    I used to listen to him during the Rock is Dead, Sweet Dreams, The Beutiful People times. But that must have been 15 years ago or something like that.

Loved his Portrait of an American family, smells like children and antichrist superstar. His last few albums though (mostly the last), not my thing..

Holy Wood had some good songs on it. Mechanical Animals was all around a great album. Haven't listened to much since Holy Wood though.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    They'd probably chase him out with pitchforks.
    Fair point.

It it ain't black send it back seems to be the prevalent choice in the metal thread lol.

I liked some of his earlier stuff and i've liked some of his production work (resident evil theme etc). Quite honestly, I haven't picked up much new music at all in recent years. New music in general is something phat I pick up on a TV show and hunt down later.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

I've maybe heard a song or two on the radio that I sorta liked (some older stuff like Beautiful People, etc), but that's about it. Overall, I wouldn't say I'm a fan.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-12-19 at 05:11 PM.

A lot of his songs are hit or miss. I did enjoy Pale Emperor for the most part. Antichrist superstar was great, plus it made for some great teenage angst against my religious parents. (Funny enough, mother likes Manson now :P )

Debated about going to the Smashing Pumpkins + Manson tour, but I realized I only kinda of like both of them, and tickets were too expensive for bands I enjoy, but don't really crave.
    Last edited by Bathory; 2015-12-18 at 02:57 PM.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    I've been a big fan since I was 8 years old

his old stuff is way better, but some of his new stuff is pretty dope too

Pale Emperor has a lot of really good songs, but if you're looking for the more metal/aggressive Manson of the past you're not gonna find it there

dude's old now
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-12-18 at 04:31 PM.

I have listened to some stuff over the years, but not really a fan.
    Years back I knew a hot goth girl who was a big fan, that gave me some interest in MM

10+ Year Old Account
    Listened to alot of his stuff when I was an angsty teenager in the late 90's. Not sure if he did anything good after his his Holy Wood album. Heard he just kinda sucked musically then. Would like to hear other peoples opinion.

But yea great nostalgia
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    what are your favorite songs guys?

mine are:

there's others, but I don't wanna post them all here (spam)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Listened to alot of his stuff when I was an angsty teenager in the late 90's. Not sure if he did anything good after his his Holy Wood album. Heard he just kinda sucked musically then. Would like to hear other peoples opinion.

But yea great nostalgia
    I think The Golden Age of Grotesque was a fantastic album. It still had lots of aggressive songs on it, aswell as some eery slower ones.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-12-20 at 12:17 AM.

Deleted
    a more recent song of his that I like very much

it's obviously not an aggressive song at all, but it's eery and awesome