Question about Cat spaying

My cat is 2 years old and is a house cat 100% since she was born in my house. I decided that i want to get her spayed so i asked a few vets. They all charge like 300-600 dollars for the shots and spay. However when i call a shelter, they said they could do the spay, shots, and micro chipped it for 120 dollars. That sounds too good to be true so i was wondering if there are any tricks. The guy said i would have to sign a few papers so i was thinking if they would end up charging me through some unknown methods.

Also another question if anybody knows. I was thinking won't a micro chipped cat ends up harming a cat? I mean i wouldn't want a electrical device inside me or my child and i don't think living creatures deserves to have something mechanical inside them so i was wondering if the micro chip would harm or impact my cat's health in any way or form in the future.

Thanks in advance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't take my word on this, but there should be no difference in the procedure. Shelters are usually more concerned with preventing more stray/unwanted animals, so usually charge less from what I've heard.

Chip is harmless. It's not needed if the cat never leaves the house, but if there's any chance of it ever escaping, it can really help with getting it back.

The shelter cost less because it isn't a business like the vet. A shelter just wants to control the pet population so they don't care so much about profit, if they make any at all. An indoor house cat does not need to be micro chipped. A waste of money imo.