Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What are your experiences with autistic people?

What are your experiences with autistic people? I am a bit curious about how people perceive them

A little harder to communicate with, but nothing too hard to deal with in most cases. (Experience limited to those that can function in the world.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Handsome fellows who knows a lot of useless things.
    *Wave*

It's mostly individually. In my case, I like to remain as silent as possible (orally) unless a topic I know a lot of pops up (and being in a company of few). I talk a lot less in general, teenagers having their rebellious period talk a lot more than I.
    In other words, hard to communicate with me unless we're talking about something that interest me/piques my interest in others.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends how far on the spectrum they are. My best friends Younger brother is Autistic and I'm one of the few people he interacts with and even fewer people he will physically touch as in he will hug me, his really close friends and his family but no one else is allowed to even be within like 2 meters of him without him feeling uneasy.

I have met some who are basically fully functioning people but who can't express themselves emotionally properly. I also have a cousin that is pretty deep in the spectrum who is nearly completely dysfunctional, screams at things throws massive tantrums if people go near him, can't talk properly. It is pretty hard on my Uncle and Aunt.

15+ Year Old Account
    Limited, but outside of the occasional super cringy one, I can't say I take much notice.

10+ Year Old Account
    My brother has OCD and Aspergers, both are high-functioning autism conditions. Growing up with him was difficult at times, but now that i’m older we get along just fine. When he’s out in public, nobody would ever guess, but when you live with him, you notice his little quirks.

In terms of other people with different autism conditions, I don’t tend to meet others tbh, so I have no empirical data to back up an opinion.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

People tell me I'm autistic. I tell them to F off.

"Dude, you're autistic as f***."

Who needs that?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Limited, but outside of the occasional super cringy one, I can't say I take much notice.
    Super cringy in what way?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People tell me I'm autistic. I tell them to F off.

"Dude, you're autistic as f***."

Who needs that?
    I actually suspect I am autistic but my parents wants me to avoid being tested because they think it's stigmatizing

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post

I actually suspect I am autistic but my parents wants me to avoid being tested because they think it's stigmatizing
    You're a girl.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I've had experiences with any autistic people, it isn't exactly something I ask people.

You're a girl.
    Doesn't become less stigmatizing because of that?

Deleted
    girls can't be autistic, or it's extremely unlikely

Pretty rare in women I think.

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    One experience, that I know of, it was terrible. Probably interacted with other autistic people of varying degrees of severity, I don't recall any in particular so they were either normal or not bad experiences.

The terrible one though. It was a doozy... Long story incoming.

While I was in college, the dorm I lived in the first two years had single occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom between pairs of rooms. The second year I was there the guy that lived in the room opposite me and who I shared a bathroom with was heavily autistic, he said he had Asperger's. He was also extremely heavy set, like 350-400 pounds...

Anyway I didn't care about his autism or his weight, we didn't talk, I didn't know him, etc., so it was irrelevant to me... I started to notice a puddle on the floor around the toilet in our shared bathroom... I called maintenance because I thought the toilet was leaking, the maintenance guy told me it wasn't leaking, that someone was literally just pissing all over the floor and front/side of the toilet... I don't know how or why the guy in the other room was doing it, but it was happening and it was disgusting.

I knocked on the guys door and told him quietly and discreetly that it wasn't a big he was doing it, but he needed to clean up after himself if he was going to keep doing it... He flipped out and started making really weird excuses... Like talking about how his mom visited him and she could have done it, how it could have been his cousin because his cousin ran away from home... Really weird shit that made no sense... I told him, that's cool man, whoever it is though is coming from your room, so you need to clean it up... He said ok, and that was that... Or so I thought...

A few minutes later I can hear him screaming through the walls and doors in the bathroom... He is on the phone with his mother going on and on about how I threatened him, about how I yelled at him, made fun of him... I am sitting there like wtf? I knock on on his door and ask him what he is doing and why he is lying... He freaks out even harder and screams at me through the door saying that he will kill himself if I accuse him of lying again... I am just wtfing all over the place at this point.

I leave and go find a resident assistant so they can get someone to handle it... An RA gets him and brings him over to my room and we talk... He starts giving the same excuses to the RA that he gave to me, about his mom and his cousin pissing on the floor... The RA is looking at me wtfing as hard as I am... He tells him to clean it up and that was the end of it... Then they left and the RA told me he would talk to the guys mom or something, I don't know... The floor was cleaned and there was never piss on it again after that, so I guess whatever he did worked... Never talked to the guy in the other room again.

Pretty rare in women I think.
    Maybe but what if I am?
    Maybe I am just very socially awkward, I don't know but I feel like when I am with people I miss allot of the conversations and can't keep up with it and get confused, don't understand allot of body language either so I don't pick up on that easily
    Have a hard time relating to people also, not easy to do that for me but maybe is just me very being socially awkward

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Girls can be autistic too, dont ask me about genetics because theres so many factors going in, including one theory about IQ, med uses during pregnancy, and hormone levels during birth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I can assure you there are plenty of autistic females. I believe I am more qualified to comment in this thread than most because I am a qualified teacher who works in a special school in England. Like others have said, the Autistic spectrum is vast and this thread being titles " what are your experiences with autistic people" shows a complete lack of understanding.

Most my experience is with children who are extremely autistic to the point where they cannot communicate other than in repeated 1 word sentences. I have also worked with children who are autistic yet extremely intelligent. Some of the traits I believe is pretty common is difficulty in meeting new people. They like routines and hate change. They can be very easily distracted or completely 100% focused to the point of obsession. There is so many different types of autism.

Overall, I absolutely adore all the children I teach and being autistic doesn't change anything.

Maybe but what if I am?
    Maybe I am just very socially awkward, I don't know but I feel like when I am with people I miss allot of the conversations and can't keep up with it and get confused, don't understand allot of body language either so I don't pick up on that easily
    Have a hard time relating to people also, not easy to do that for me but maybe is just me very being socially awkward
    You should get tested. After that get a second opinion. If you are the doctor can give you some pointers to help you out. There are plenty of socially awkward people who aren't autistic.

-- Capt. Copeland

There is this amazeballs hot autistic girl who is kinda in the same group I play D&D with want to fuck her so bad.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mom was a speech therapist in Russia and a lot of the kids had different forms of autism. I used to go on field trips with them, don't really have any opinion on them. We had fun...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi