Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Never met one in real life, so my only experience is people who claim they have Aspergers after someone points out they're rude.
    X

Its hard to differentiate them here, but typically my experience is that the reason it is hard is because there is nothing to differentiate most of the time.
    Sometimes though, when I discover autism from the person themselves, it does make me think a little differently about my interactions with them personally.

Usually just can't tell though!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Never met one in real life, so my only experience is people who claim they have Aspergers after someone points out they're rude.
    There are way to many self-diagnosed aspies around these days that watch Big Bang Theory and blame being socially awkward as hell on Aspergers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never had any personal experience with people that have any form of autism.

Have plenty of experience with self diagnosed cases of Aspergers, such people infuriate me.
    Just accept you are somewhat socially challenged and awkward, and that's all.There's no need to fake having an actual disorder to blame it all on.

There's different degrees of autism, not everybody has it as severely.

One of my moms friends when I was younger had a very autistic child. I remember going over to their house and the kid would just bang his head against things as hard as he could, and he was crazy strong for his size and age. You couldn't hold a conversation with the kid even though he was 6-7 years old. I don't think he could talk at all actually.

My sister has slight autism and you wouldn't be able to guess it. She was always behind in school and needed special classes, but talking to her now at 26 you probably wouldn't know.

my brother is severely autistic. he is very low functioning, the needs help to put on his pants and needs to wear a safety vest so he doesn't run off into traffic kind of low functioning, but at the same time has completely amazing abilities, like he taught himself how to read before he even understood any spoken words. he still doesn't understand most spoken language, and can't speak anything more complex than "no!" or "ice cream!", but he reads like a pro in several languages.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

If you could be a fly on the wall in a room full of people talking about the ways with which in how they deal with you

I've not dealt with people with autism. Aspergers though I've had dealings with one individual. For the most part he was pretty normal though he had trouble controlling his mouth at times in class and stuff.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I get them in my Heroes of the Storm games all the time. They bad and I wish they'd stop playing.

My SO's brother has Asperger Syndrome. He is an insanely brilliant person and he's fun to be around. If he gets upset or disinterested, things can be rough. But overall, I've never met one that I would say was so bad that I couldn't be friends with them. That being said, my experience with the more severely disabled is limited, but they don't carry a stigma with me. They are all individuals and I hope that any interactions I have with them, I can do so without coming off condescending or insensitive to their struggles.

7+ Year Old Account
    The title of this thread is misleading at best. Autism spectrum is as wide as the periodic table and as shaded as Crayola. There's no case of autism that is like another;they are shaded by age, reason for autism, genetics, training, a myriad of things. I'm probably autistic, and I comprehend space time theory, date hot girls and manage a nursing home. At the same time, I have social awkwardness, familial issues and little to no long term memory. I'm at the dark purple end of the spectrum. The unfortunate child who's extremely strong, unable to communicate and bangs his head against the wall is more than likely on the red end of the spectrum. There is literally a billion and one shades between the two. Albert Einstein may have been autistic, as the character in Big Bang theory show may be, not sure if ever confirmed, but definitely a good example of one.

Dealing with an autistic person, one only needs compassion and to understand, those of us with the condition only desire to be understood. Or at least not looked at as another type of animal;we're human, not homo awkwardus.
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

Very... irritable.

10+ Year Old Account
    My younger cousin has a mild form of autism and it's not that much different than anyone else really. I think the only thing he struggles with is conversation and when to stop talking to let the other person speak but then again there are plenty of "normal" people who just love to hear themselves talk. He also has a crazy obsession with Minecraft but lots of kids his age are into the game so it's not too surprising but I coulda sworn I read something awhile ago about Minecraft/Legos and children with autism/aspergers

10+ Year Old Account
    I've met a couple of autistic people who I've had to instruct/teach.

It usually takes a bit more time to reach certain checkpoints, but in general, with a more structured approach you reach the same goals none the less. Only negative I've experienced is that a few seemed to lose focus more quickly than 'normal' students. But even that wasn't too bad.

Younger brother was diagnosed with Aspergers. I'm still hoping that it's just sinply bad behavior on occasion but I can see some social dysfuctionality when seeing him converse with others outside the family. Does not take others into consideration at all, even if he means well (like saying truthful but hurtful things without the intention).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Younger brother was diagnosed with Aspergers. I'm still hoping that it's just sinply bad behavior on occasion but I can see some social dysfuctionality when seeing him converse with others outside the family. Does not take others into consideration at all, even if he means well (like saying truthful but hurtful things without the intention).
    Growing up my mother constantly kept trying to keep me quiet. It didn't work. Counseling and therapy have shown to close the emotional gap in understanding others feelings and when things are appropriate. I'm sorry for what you will go through, but remember, he wants to be understood and accepted. Trust me.
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

I've net two in my life. One was severe and would scream and shit on the floor out of anger. I was not prepared accordingly and did not handle the situation well... the other was another individual in high school who would "patrol" the lunchroom. He was an ass, but I just let it slide and tried to be nice/understanding. Never really communicated much.

Edit: I've met two in my life that I knew were.

Didn't scream or anything but made a odd gulping clicking kind of noise when he tried to talk and would laugh or grow scared at odd seemingly random moments.

Wasn't that bad but you can tell something is wrong with him.

Generally annoying. One of them works for me. Every time he talks I die a little inside. He's not autistic smart, he's autistic can't do 2 plus 2.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally none per say, or none that I was aware of if they did, I seen a few on TV but like most people who are mentally different they always seem to be portrayed as super natural.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis