Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question 24 inch vs 27 inch gaming

pros and cons of each? what size monitors r u guys using?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am no expert so take what I said with a grain of salt, but I think the bigger the monitor, the "better" quality you need in order to keep the same level of standard as a smaller screen?

I am using a Samsung S27B550 27" monitor, while it is nice and big, the quality just isn't the same compared to when I was at a friend's (watching film and such I somehow can just tell the level of detail is different and better than mine), not sure if it is just the monitor not good enough or what?

Considered getting a smaller screen next time (and 4k).

I'm using a 27 inch, 1440p though so better then the above poster with 1080p, well better as in sharper image for the size, 1080p on 27 inch can look somewhat pixelated, need the hardware to handle that resolution though.

10+ Year Old Account
    So mine is the resolution that is making it feels lesser quality?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    need the hardware to handle that resolution though.
    Mine is a GTX680, while not powerful in today's standard I think it can run higher res than I currently do though (1920x1080):

from geforce forum:

- GTX680 supports 2560x1600 which is 4,096,000 pixels

So if a better monitor is all I need I probably would go and get a nicer monitor like...soon lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I am no expert so take what I said with a grain of salt, but I think the bigger the monitor, the "better" quality you need in order to keep the same level of standard as a smaller screen?

I am using a Samsung S27B550 27" monitor, while it is nice and big, the quality just isn't the same compared to when I was at a friend's (watching film and such I somehow can just tell the level of detail is different and better than mine), not sure if it is just the monitor not good enough or what?

That's to do with the PPI / pixels per inch / pixel density / whatever you want to call it. Size is no indication of quality nor is pixel count any indication.

I use a 24 inch 1440hz monitor and i love it. 27 inch would be too big for me since I use dual monitors and do not have a big desk.

10+ Year Old Account

Well, we have two things. First is size, which is pretty self explanatory. Second is resolution, which is the number of pixels in given display.

Keeping things as simple as possible, a pixel is something capable of displaying colors, with a arrangement of pixels you can create an image. If you have more pixels, you can make this image more detailed since you can display more information.

A digital image is made of digital pixels, but those pixels we're talking about are physical circuits. At current LCD monitors, you have a blue LED backlight emitting light, then a yellow filter making it look white, then a horizontal light polarizing filter and another light polarizing filter coupled into a transistor that can make it go vertical or not and then red, green and blue filters. Balancing the amount of light getting through those 3 colors the pixel makes your brain believe it's seeing the other colors. If the computer asks for "red" (or #FF0000) then the display will let the light go through the red sub-pixel but won't let it go through the other two.

So, how does both things interact? Simple. A pixel doesn't necessarily need to have the same size. You can have 1920x1080 at a phone display or at your 60" TV. And while technically they're displaying the same amount of information, the phone's display is denser.

So now we have a new concept, which we call pixels per inch or dots per inch. Basically the amount of pixels that you have per area, which is basically the amount of "detail" that you can show. But don't understand me wrong, given the same input, in this comparison both displays would give you the same thing, they have the same resolution. It's only more detailed because since the pixels are smaller we can use more pixels to display something at the same size in centimeters or inches.

But enough with this resolution talk. Higher resolution at smaller displays doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have a better viewing experience even if you'll technically have more details. Detail isn't everything. Black levels, contrast, color reproduction, motion resolution, panel uniformity, gamma and greyscale tracking are all things that will affect your viewing experience.

This video can demonstrate my point:

So well, while having more resolution is good when you have content for this higher resolution. Better image quality will always triumph it and make a more noticeable difference.

@Op, 24" and 27" are just sizes. There's no difference for the hardware if you're running the same resolution. As we already said at the other thread, if you're sitting close to it 27" and 1080p isn't a good combo. If you're not sitting close to it, it's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I typed too much this time Remilia...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    So well, while having more resolution is good when you have content for this higher resolution. Better image quality will always triumph it and make a more noticeable difference.
    So, for a simple version for someone without much technical knowledge, with my card being a GTX680, what would I need to do in order to get better viewing experience? I am OK with getting a 4k monitor but I believe that card probably can't handle it.

PS this is something that I have got in my mind:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-U28E...ung+4k+monitor
    Last edited by Grym; 2015-12-19 at 02:10 AM.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    thanks art, your amazing
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I get the idea of PPI now, I kinda got that idea before hence I said "better quality" needed for bigger screen XD

However it gets more confusing when these starts kicking in:

Higher resolution at smaller displays doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have a better viewing experience even if you'll technically have more details. Detail isn't everything. Black levels, contrast, color reproduction, motion resolution, panel uniformity, gamma and greyscale tracking are all things that will affect your viewing experience....Better image quality will always triumph it and make a more noticeable difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Until you take size and pixel count together. And then it 100% is the measure of quality of picture.
    Nope. It isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I get the idea of PPI now, I kinda got that idea before hence I said "better quality" needed for bigger screen XD

However it gets more confusing when these starts kicking in:
    In that video that I linked they compare a more or less current UHD (4K) Samsung LCD HU8550 (last year model actually), which is very good for a LCD panel and most likely way better than 90% of the monitors you can buy, with one of the best Plasma televisions ever made which is the Samsung F8500.

Watching the video alone you can notice how the UHD LCD can't keep up with the 1080P plasma even when it's displaying "4K content".
    Why? Because the plasma is better at everything. And inside this everything you have black levels and colors, which are both very important for your perception of the picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching the video alone you can notice how the UHD LCD can't keep up with the 1080P plasma even when it's displaying "4K content".
    Why? Because the plasma is better at everything. And inside this everything you have black levels and colors, which are both very important for your perception of the picture.
    So I wanted to get a 4k monitor to improve the viewing experience that pretty much isn't the optimal choice? Monitor always seems to be LCD or LED though? There are specific plasma monitors?

Tried searching for plasma monitor it doesn't really seem to generate any results....

10+ Year Old Account
    So I wanted to get a 4k monitor to improve the viewing experience that pretty much isn't the optimal choice? Monitor always seems to be LCD or LED though? There are specific plasma monitors?

Tried searching for plasma monitor it doesn't really seem to generate any results....
    No, no plasma monitors. For monitors you have pretty much 3 more universal options: TN, IPS/PLS or VA.

TN is the fastest, higher refresh rates and such. IPS is good at off angle viewing since the colors won't shift nor you'll have color inverting or contrast loss.

Problem is, they're both horribly shit in displaying blacks which makes everything look ridiculously washed out.

VA is 5 times better at black levels and can reach more than 5000:1 contrast ratio which makes the overall experience much better, some displays can reach full DCI-P3 which is the same color space used at the Cinema. It's better overall. But there's a problem, you can't go off-angle or things will look bad. Really bad. They have the same viewing angle problem as TN.

Ah and LCD, being a technology with image persistence, it does not work very well with the way our eyes understand movement and then cause the image to blur, needing higher refresh rates to have the same motion resolution as Plasmas or old CRTs.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-12-19 at 03:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So pretty much as a monitor I don't really have any nice options lol

TL;DR version:

1080p - 24 inch

1440+ - 27 inch

10+ Year Old Account
    So pretty much as a monitor I don't really have any nice options lol
    You have VA monitors too. They're less bad.

Note that for gaming at 4K you need a high end GPU to make the best of it. You can have a look at this one it's expensive though.

Deleted
    tbh gamers these days are spoiled anyway. I am raiding on a 17 inch laptop and that works just fine :P

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    27:

pro: 27
    con: none

24:

pro: none
    con: not 27
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    27:

pro: 27
    con: none

24:

pro: none
    con: not 27
    At 1080p? 24" is definitely the way to go. You should do some research on PPI (pixels per inch) before attempting to weigh in on a discussion you know very little about.