Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    So now the movie is out the public, what does everyone think of it? It could've been worse, really.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

In the US, it's not out til next week. So yeah, a week to go for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    It could've been worse, really.
    The reviews seem to be around 6/10, which is about right. Like most Ridley Scott films, it's an impressive visual and dramatic experience. One to see on a big screen, definitely. Not as ambitious as Prometheus, but with fewer dumb actions by the characters. It was gory, although some of the smaller aliens looked like dancing action figures. Showing less would have given us more. It was not quite as much a retread of Alien, as Force Awakens retreat Star Wars. But it lacked much originality or plot surprises. (The trailers gave away a lot, if you read about them.) The characters lacked character and it's a back handed compliment to say Danny McBride stood out as the best actor. I was not a fan of the ending: unoriginal, deflating and unsatisfying. The idea of prequel to it is bizarre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    The reviews seem to be around 6/10, which is about right. Like most Ridley Scott films, it's an impressive visual and dramatic experience. One to see on a big screen, definitely. Not as ambitious as Prometheus, but with fewer dumb actions by the characters. It was gory, although some of the smaller aliens looked like dancing action figures. Showing less would have given us more. It was not quite as much a retread of Alien, as Force Awakens retreat Star Wars. But it lacked much originality or plot surprises. (The trailers gave away a lot, if you read about them.) The characters lacked character and it's a back handed compliment to say Danny McBride stood out as the best actor. I was not a fan of the ending: unoriginal, deflating and unsatisfying. The idea of prequel to it is bizarre.
    I feel it isn't as good as the original alien movies, but it's still decent, at the very least.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

My dvr picked that up last night when I recorded something I could not stay awake for. I thought it deserved a chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Gnome View Post
    It's a cool universe setting, let him make as many as he want!
    They need to get somebody better to make them with better actors and script writing. I wish Stanley Kubrick was alive to make them.

I wanted to be excited to see alien covenant but I hate all the characters in except David the robot.

I think the new movie is ok, except for those Alien hybrid. I guess I'm dead set for the original xenomorph.

Deleted
    So is it correct what they are saying online?

The movie pretty much doesn´t answer any of the questions from Prometheus, especially in regards to the Engineers? That they are going with David creating the xenomorphs despite the 2000 year old mural in Prometheus?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post

The movie pretty much doesn´t answer any of the questions from Prometheus, especially in regards to the Engineers? That they are going with David creating the xenomorphs despite the 2000 year old mural in Prometheus?
    Well, there's always the chance, that David recreated what he has seen in the mural...

How i would explain it to myself:

2000 years ago the engineers have killed off all of the xenomorphs, storing some of their DNA to perform sacrifices, one of which we see at the start of Prometheus. -> some sort of engineer 4th of july if you will...

David has been inspired by the magnificance of the mural/beasts and decided to create a thing in their image. The mural itself does resemble xenomorphs, but it is not a 1:1 representation after all

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post

The mural was a proto-Alien no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by josnorgren View Post
    I think the new movie is ok, except for those Alien hybrid. I guess I'm dead set for the original xenomorph.
    I hope you were talking about the neomorph n not revealed a spoiler..

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    Oh lol, didn't see this until now

I saw it earlier this week.

It was super dull, the characters where completely forgettable and somehow managed to do even dumber stuff than the Prometheus crew did. Special mentions go to -
    "I'm in a weird Alien temple, in the aftermath of a plagued genocide, being persued by violent death Aliens. I'm just gonna wander off for a while on my own guys and try and find a bathroom to freshen up... No no, don't come with me. I'll be fine on my own..."
    and
    "Look in my Egg! LOOK IN IT! You'll be fiiinnne there's nothing weirrrrd. LOOKK IN IT"
    "Sure, seems legit. Waaaaait, hold on a minute.. is there something in there..."

By the films half way point, every single turn of the script is completely predictable. I was almost pained when after David replaces Walter, there's a scene on the ship where his hood blows over his head so the audience might realise he's actually David.. apart from that it's SO obvious that I felt embarrassed on Scotts behalf that he actually thought there was ANYONE in the audience that hadn't already guessed this "twist" by this point. It'd be like Clark Kent taking off his glasses and winking at the camera at the end of a movie, in case any of the audience hadn't worked out he's Superman yet.

Its worse crime though is that it makes the original Alien movies worse and drags them down with it. During the first ALIEN it felt like they'd stumbled across some secret that could have been on that planet for thousands of years. The fact that it was just a malfunctioning android playing Dr Moreau a decade earlier cheapens the whole franchise.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2017-05-18 at 08:07 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Very disappointing film, the plot twists and surprises were pretty transparent and the characters made dumb choices (i.e. Captain Chris).

I don't personally agree that the choices they made were that dumb for the most part. For example, the captain looking into the egg at David's behest didn't seem implausible to me, as he at this point had little reason to think David might actually outright murder him, and eggs with creatures jumping up into people's faces aren't exactly common..

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't personally agree that the choices they made were that dumb for the most part. For example, the captain looking into the egg at David's behest didn't seem implausible to me, as he at this point had little reason to think David might actually outright murder him, and eggs with creatures jumping up into people's faces aren't exactly common..
    Dont forget that Weyland-Yutani hires only the dumbest people as test subje- I mean employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sums it up. Kinda came out of it thinking "Why did we need this film". There were just too many things that smelled of a fan version almost, down to Ripley 2 etc...
    The ending was pretty predictable as well, after a certain point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Absolutely...could have at least kept us guessing....
    Yup, but sadly not, even my aunt, who hasn't seen Prometheus (but has seen the other Alien films) had a hunch about it, too.