Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Bwahahahah. Your attempts at baiting are so transparent they may as well be cellophane. Later gator, not wasting another ounce of thought on your desperate attempt to perpetuate a dead topic for your own gratification.
    Yeah, do yourself a favor if you don't have anything constructive to say instead of ad hominems on my arguments as it's a fiction movie and that you're totally lacking the mind skills to enjoy it as such. Take care!
    Last edited by mmoc5461ce0dcc; 2017-05-30 at 07:30 AM.

I can't really say I understand all the butt hurt around the story, its a step up compared to resurrection (not that it's a high bar). The only complaint I have other than the "twist" being so obvious is the overall pacing of the movie. The way it opens up reminds me a lot of 3, and not in a good way. Where at least there we had a previous film establishing characters before killing them off in the opening scene, where as here we're expected to care about some random dude? And it continues on like that, you never have time to get to know or relate with any of the characters. They're thrown in the deep end and kicked around constantly, sure they make some questionable decisions, but ultimately its hard to care.

It wasn't a great movie, the idea was interesting, and the visuals were great. But I wouldn't call it shitty either, especially given some of the golden turds being served up these days.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Quote Originally Posted by Epicuros View Post
    which they may have tested also from that area.

When it comes to this, I think Star Trek is a big failure just because they tend to teleport themselves. Knowing that teleporting would mean that your atoms will be destroyed and copied at some other place and it's your copy that continues living. Not you.

Oh wait, maybe they had some other way to deliver that! Can't figure out how, so must be a shitty science fiction program.

Actually there are no good movies there, because "reasons I can't figure out myself" and because some little silly mistakes if those happen to come by. World of Warcraft and tons of games are totally shit as well because I'm not double standarded, but because of their credibility. Seriously, just plain dumb to waste money and time on cinemas and games

No but seriously seriously, I think people should learn to use the "God of Gaps" method when it comes to such movies. As an atheisist who has been studying this I think it can be profitable when it comes to playing with thoughts. It's really not that hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps
    I think people didn't like it because it didn't match with their image of the previous movies. If characters in Star Trek could suddenly teleport to all over the universe people would hate that as well.

And people don't have to learn anything to like a movie, that's just ridiculous. Maybe you should learn to accept that other people have different opinions. I'm sure there are movies you don't like, imagine someone telling you that it's your own fault and you should learn to like them... that's kinda insane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    I'm sure there are movies you don't like, imagine someone telling you that it's your own fault and you should learn to like them... that's kinda insane.
    Nope. I think it's about my own ineptitude to play with the idea and let small things matter too much to spoil the movie. It's all about me because me, you and everyone else are the ones being at the receiving end that process it and in the end makes the final or temporary judgement. Critical thinking is always ok, but on fantasy and fiction I can easily let silly and possibly irritating things go through since it's not some political or religion based oppression that has serious effect on me or anyone else. It's my responsibility how I want to view things and thus being capable of letting a movie be a good or a bad, is up to me in the end.

As this was not a document about aliens, terraforming, technology or human psychology, so why even be overly sceptical about everything? Why even bother to see sci-fi and fantasy movies and series? Finding mistakes and being judgmental is way more easier than finding mistakes and trying to understand that it's not a fact-based-story and not letting them bother you and ruin the experience.

Also, when it comes expecting something like the ones before when it comes to Alien franchise, are we talking about the same contents what we've already been experiencing tons of times before on so many different forms or the same kind of horror like feelings as the first three maybe gave when seen at the first time? I don't think people, after a certain amount of "hardening" or what I should call it (?) that comes through years, can so easily be influenced by this anymore. So they had to bring something new and interesting out and we still don't have any clue about the engineers culture, history and motives. The Space Jockey has been implemented pretty well and I'm pretty sure I or the critics couldn't have done it any better.

Prometheus and Covenant has been enough loyal to the first three. As were Star Wars 1-3 to the first 4-6. How? Because they're all as silly as can be, but still loyal to the same idea when it comes to the lore and progress.

The feeling of disappointment comes from within. Always. Why? Because Their own expectations were too high. Again it's about themselves. And it's something people can and can/should train with themselves.

And yes, I admit, I've had pretty provocative approach with this case. But that's just me being lazy and wanting to have some discussion about movie experiencing generally.

"Reality is the enemy of imagination" - Hans Zimmer

I'd rather not call it as an "enemy", but after reading this topic and listening constant whining about movies I'm with him. People are just getting them wrong.
    Last edited by mmoc5461ce0dcc; 2017-06-01 at 04:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it last weekend. It was just okay. I fear that Ridley Scott is going to go full George Lucas on this series. I do not like the direction he is going with the origins of the Xenomorph. If he decanonizes Aliens (arguably the best in the franchise) he is a official shit director in my book and needs to be put down by Fox and the rest of Hollywood.

I am trying to think of some of the good things about this movie but am unable to really find anything other than some mild entertainment. I guess David/Walter interactions were about it.

Another thing I didn't like was the fact that the story didn't really talk about the Engineers at all. There were like ZERO of them in the movie. All we got were a colony of white skinned humanoids that look to be stuck in the 13th century. Were they waiting for the arrival of their gods? There is no way that those were engineers - who were 8 feet tall, had clear skin and black eyes. These powdered beings were also just as dumb minded as the crew. I think we are finding a recurring theme here; dumb fucking scientists... I can deal with the rabid pacing, the faster than normal incubation of the alien and minor continuity errors, but I refuse too write off things when they are so obvious.

C+

Planning on going to see this movie this weekend!

Deleted
    As I suspected! And why wasn't this dialogue in the movie?...

Alien: Covenant | David's Lab Teaser | 20th Century FOX

20th Century Fox
    Aug 2, 2017

Go inside David's Lab and unlock the secrets of the Alien Universe. See the full video on the Alien: Covenant Digital HD & Blu-ray.

Possible spoilers below:

all this movie did was make me rage and cringe about the incompetence of the crew, did the governments and space agencies of earth really send their elite on this vital important mission?

the slow walking during apparent distress, the wandering off for no reason, touching stuff without careful consideration, the horrible aim at stationary targets, complete breakdown in situations, ignoring command.
    were they trained at all?

they are way to lazy and slacking for a crew of "elites" and chain of command and orders are ignored to much.
    I get that command will eventually lessen the longer you are from law and order, but considering they sleep most of the journey it should be like they left not long ago, not long enough for command and order to slack this much. total disregard of urgency.

like:
    while they were descending in the lander, they were well on their way into the storm before wondering if it was safe and passable... comon
    crew at lander send distress and needs help, captain and his squad slowly walk to the lander, lets not send half the squad ahead to help, nooooo.. lets all walk at the speed of that sick guy.
    inside an alien structure, but lets touch everything we dont know, get ordered not to go far, but lets ignore that and wander all over the place.
    lets not report to the captain where you are going while walking around, even the captain himself doesn't notify his crew before he wanders off with synt model they should have been briefed about its weird "human" tendencies.
    lets not make a defense perimeter.

utter shit crew
    Last edited by Demontjuh; 2017-08-04 at 08:55 PM.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

It's the usual trope of victims in horror films acting stupidly getting their shit reckt. Only the smartest (whom don't even have to be smart, just smarter than the rest) survive.

Even Alien has it's share of people acting stupidly.

Caine hunching over the leathery sack; he gets face hugged.
    Dallas and the Droid break quarantine protocols; the Alien gets on board.
    They don't investigate why the parasite latched on in the first place, don't give Caine an XRay after parasite let go and died, don't immediately put Caine in to frozen sleep; Alien bursts through chest while crew are eating dinner and the rest is history.

I am not even that upset that Alien Covenant was too predictable; I am mostly upset that film makers can't even understand why these tropes no longer work. It's because it's been done.

They should instead try to make a film where the crew actually tries to do everything right but still lose.

Deleted
    Ash broke quarantine intentionally methinks.

He also turned off his screen when Ripley wuz going to complain about him letting peeps in

Ash didn't do scan or freeze cuz he wanted creature maybe got a bit of David ego in him? Should have frozen patient n handed him over to ze company
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2017-08-05 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demontjuh View Post
    Possible spoilers below:

all this movie did was make me rage and cringe about the incompetence of the crew, did the governments and space agencies of earth really send their elite on this vital important mission?

the slow walking during apparent distress, the wandering off for no reason, touching stuff without careful consideration, the horrible aim at stationary targets, complete breakdown in situations, ignoring command.
    were they trained at all?

they are way to lazy and slacking for a crew of "elites" and chain of command and orders are ignored to much.
    I get that command will eventually lessen the longer you are from law and order, but considering they sleep most of the journey it should be like they left not long ago, not long enough for command and order to slack this much. total disregard of urgency.

like:
    while they were descending in the lander, they were well on their way into the storm before wondering if it was safe and passable... comon
    crew at lander send distress and needs help, captain and his squad slowly walk to the lander, lets not send half the squad ahead to help, nooooo.. lets all walk at the speed of that sick guy.
    inside an alien structure, but lets touch everything we dont know, get ordered not to go far, but lets ignore that and wander all over the place.
    lets not report to the captain where you are going while walking around, even the captain himself doesn't notify his crew before he wanders off with synt model they should have been briefed about its weird "human" tendencies.
    lets not make a defense perimeter.

utter shit crew
    I came out of the original Prometheus thinking "those are the worst scientists I've ever seen and they entirely deserved what happened to them" too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    It's just shiny nonsense for the uneducated masses, right up there with time travel and tachyon guns and all the other technobabble people spout to try and sound smart about things that cannot and will not ever be possible.
    Problem is, you'll have a hard time finding a physicist who'll actually rebel at the idea of time travel, or worm holes, or parallel universes, or alternate universes. I say that as a physicist, by the way.

Spoiler:

not sure how to do the black spoiler blocker text.

So David improved the aliens? That's strange because when they were just a little bit of dust that no one even realized they were infected with - well now that seemed like they were way more powerful. Now with David's improvement ... the facehugger needs to attach itself to lay and egg and gestate. Before it was a little poof of black dust...

this movie could've been more, it wasn't terrible - but I couldn't get past that - the virus or whatever the aliens are were way better before David's improvements. Also, could they have made it more obvious David was going to take over for Walter - like seems the only people that didn't see that coming were the players themselves.. fucking terrible. And all of the decisions to not be safe with possible infections and bringing a whole ship into the atmosphere... who'd they send on this mission, morons?

I guess im just left with one question... the planet David is taking them to, their original destination.. is that the alien home world from the comics - with the red and black aliens constantly warring? Because that would be the only cool part of this story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I came out of the original Prometheus thinking "those are the worst scientists I've ever seen and they entirely deserved what happened to them" too.
    I mean, who wouldn't explore a completely alien environment in some shoddy hiking gear? Totes down for some of that.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

As much as I tried to like the action and violence, the underlying stupidity that set things rolling actually managed to surpass that of Prometheus' scientists.

Having watched Life, it's clear that the 'Alien' formula can still be made to work, with breaches in containment and actually intelligent scientists... so, yeah. There's no real excuse for it here. I'll never cease to be baffled by scientists that are willing to make direct, physical contact with undocumented fauna and lifeforms. Then when there's a clear outbreak of some kind of virus, disease or bacteria, their first desire is to still make sure no one suits up and drag the infected into as large a group of people as possible.

As I said, I enjoyed parts of the film, but it was all marred by the 'elephant in the room' tier stupidity. The film is incredibly well shot, as Ridley Scott features generally are, the cast was OK, David's character expansion was actually quite interesting and the visual design of the world and the not xenomorphs was great. How any of it ties together to anything else is kind of irrelevant as the waxing philosophical bumping heads with chase sequences is fairly irrelevant.

Given the veritable spathe of different writers that Scott has worked with on this and Prometheus, I can only assume that his own desires/ideas are the core of it all, which, given his position is ironically lacking in direction.

Deleted
    Honest Trailers - Alien: Covenant

Screen Junkies
    Aug 8, 2017

Return to space for the movie that made the Alien franchise officially have more bad movies than good - Alien Covenant!

So how the hell do we get one alien to a whole hive and a Queen? Would David even think of something like that?

This film just raises more questions.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    Everything Wrong With Alien: Covenant In 16 Minutes Or Less.

CinemaSins
    Sep 12, 2017

Remember Prometheus? This is like that, with even more disappointment. Sins all over the place.

Alien: Covenant was a enjoyable movie. I don't see why it's getting a lot of hate. I liked Prometheus too. I don't know how long people are going to be mad over the fact that none of the sequels are as groundbreaking in our time, as the original was in 1979. Every sequel has something good and something bad about them. I don't mind seeing the android being the star of the show, really.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Alien: Covenant was a enjoyable movie. I don't see why it's getting a lot of hate. I liked Prometheus too. I don't know how long people are going to be mad over the fact that none of the sequels are as groundbreaking in our time, as the original was in 1979. Every sequel has something good and something bad about them. I don't mind seeing the android being the star of the show, really.
    People are pissed because:

1. People in this movies act like idiots.
    2. The lore got butchered, iam mean the old movies dont make sence anymore also the plot of the new movies is cringy.
    Our creators want to kill us because we killed Jesus and now one of our Android who thinks he is God wants replace every life in the universe with his idea of life.