Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I think a better source than your boss is needed before I'll pass judgement here.
    Also, as others have stated, if there is a contract then it is their own fault.

I don't know any of the details, but our theater has always been closed Christmas eve. Disney has never pulled this before. The higher ups are having to come in to fill the hours. It's ridiculous.
    Welcome to New Blizzard where everything ages backwards, dead servers are left gasping for breath, homogenization is disguised as uniqueness, leveling mirrors the progression of travel in the last 150 years, and gold is just a nuisance.

Honestly I don't see the big deal. I would expect everything to be open as normal on Christmas eve. If it were Christmas day I would understand, but Christmas eve, I don't see why it matters so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm working xmas eve too. Alot of the population does. So the rest can enjoy theirs, you'll have more in your life so just work a few and then work up to a point where you can afford to book it off for sure earlier in the year.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I'm Jewish. The Christmas spirit has missed us for 30+ years. XD

I'll be seeing The Hateful Eight with a full orchestra in an old theater on Christmas. The spirit of Sam Jack will be with me.
    HO HO HO motherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Greelix View Post
    I don't know any of the details, but our theater has always been closed Christmas eve. Disney has never pulled this before. The higher ups are having to come in to fill the hours. It's ridiculous.
    How is it ridiculous ? people work that day also ... and not all does the whole holiday thing, the only odd about this thing is that your boss only found out now and seems to have gone into a panic ? surely he/she has known for some time you had to be open those days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I am going to side with Disney on this one, I mean as much as I despise Disney, if they have a contract then the theaters should be on the hook for damages. It's all well and fine not to force employees to work, but some Employees will make that choice to work.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

All the movie theatres I've heard of are open 365 days a year. It's one of the exceptions I'd say. In the US its a tradition for some families to go to the movies on Christmas

To all those saying "it's the theaters fault for signing the contract":
    What if Disney only allows one contract and if you don't sign you just don't get to show the movie? Since it's the release of the year Disney clearly has a monopoly on it and its then abusing its monopoly to force cinemas to sign a contract. So the contract should be void, at least if you like capitalism and take the whole free market idea seriously and don't just want the perverted "let's just do whatever the big companies want" version of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you have kids, you probably shouldn't be working in a movie theater. I know it's mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I'm Jewish. The Christmas spirit has missed us for 30+ years. XD

I'll be seeing The Hateful Eight with a full orchestra in an old theater on Christmas. The spirit of Sam Jack will be with me.
    I could be wrong, but doesn't Hateful Eight come out on the 31st?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erixi View Post
    Everyone knows that opening weekend is the only money that goes to the production company of the movie. However, after that period all profits go to the theater itself.
    As a theater manager I know this to be untrue, 90% of profit in theaters is made from concession items with another 5% being ads, nearly all profit goes to the studios for the entire run of the film.

I'm working a half day on Christmas Eve and I don't think it's that big of a deal? If Christmas Eve is a hugely important holiday to you, you should probably schedule it off in advance if you're in a job that is traditionally open on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    I could be wrong, but doesn't Hateful Eight come out on the 31st?
    They are showing The Hateful Eight in 100 theaters across 44 cities in true 70mm projection. This is a longer cut of the film that has an overture and intermission.

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2016/hateful_8/index.htm

Running time of the Road Show version:
    • 3 hours, 7 minutes (187 mins) 70mm version with 3 min 48 sec overture, including 12 min intermission
    • 2 hours 55 minutes (175 mins) normal DCP Version without intermission

10 reels of 7OMM film. The 70mm print is "doubled up", so each reel is about 40 minutes, and the whole thing fits on just 5 (double) reels.

Wide release run time
    • 2 hours 47 minutes (167 mins)

MPAA Rating: R

We got our tickets as soon as available will be seeing the film on the 25th in one of the grandest film theaters in our state.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they signed a contract then they have every right to fine them. I thought most theatres were open on Christmas anyway? Isn't it one of the busier days? Not everyone celebrates the holiday. And if they do they might not celebrate it at home, maybe they want to see a film with their family.

If you want the day off should have asked for it off in advanced. There are plenty of people at my job who have to work because we have contracts in India and they will be working that day so we will be offering them IT support. It happens, it sucks, ask off or get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolti View Post
    To all those saying "it's the theaters fault for signing the contract":
    What if Disney only allows one contract and if you don't sign you just don't get to show the movie? Since it's the release of the year Disney clearly has a monopoly on it and its then abusing its monopoly to force cinemas to sign a contract. So the contract should be void, at least if you like capitalism and take the whole free market idea seriously and don't just want the perverted "let's just do whatever the big companies want" version of it.
    It's not a monopoly.

My heart weeps for those having to work the holidays.

Ok, really it doesn't. Grown ups work...and often times that means working on days we don't want to work. I missed Thanksgiving. I will miss Christmas. I will miss New Years. As in totally missed. Out of town. On the road. You get over it eventually.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

How ? Do the theatres work for Disney ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mike Rowe says you just should be happy to have a job to work on Christmas. I think Ebenezer Scrooge said something along the same lines as well.